21 - Frenkie de Jong

Andresito

Staff member
Clear improvement on the ball since last game which was expected due to rustiness. He has always been lazy in our own box when defending so that can't be put down to lack of match form.

He clearly is one of the few WC players we have in our squad. I feel I made the right choice buying his shirt a couple of weeks ago. He's truly been missed.

JamDav1982

He is very good at DM but it restricts him too much and ability to get about pitch and press on front foot is restricted.
Still don’t think he looks fully fit and running looks a bit laboured against both Rayo and Porto but even within that and him out of position the midfield has much more control with him there.
Badly need a top DM for him to play alongside in that two.

serghei

Not a fan of him at DM though.

Me neither, doesn't fill me with confidence on the defensive side as a sole DM. He'd be at his best near one in a double pivot.

Things could change if we could find a faster and stronger midfielder instead of Gundogan. Pedri and Gundogan are both too slow.

JamDav1982

João Cancelo: "All my teammates played a great game but I want to say something about Frenkie de Jong. He's one of the best players I have EVER seen in that position. Whenever he plays, he makes a tremendous difference. We are happy to have him back''

Run free my Golden Retriever

If Frenkie went back to the left hand side box to box and got a winger with pace then that left side with Cancelo/FDJ and the pacey cunt would be world class.

As much as I like Gundo and Pedri and to lesser extent Gavi there may come a time one or more have to go if need that for more balanced midfield.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

João Cancelo: "All my teammates played a great game but I want to say something about Frenkie de Jong. He's one of the best players I have EVER seen in that position. Whenever he plays, he makes a tremendous difference. We are happy to have him back''

Run free my Golden Retriever

If someone who played with Silva and Kdb says that, there must be something right :pique:

malvolio

Not a fan of him at DM though.
He's poor as a lone DM, always has been. Undisciplined, all over the place and has lapses in concentration(like at Porto's goal last night).

Two meh to poor games from him since returning. But forum is raving like he's the second coming.

Play him at LCM or as the box to box in a double pivot.

Home of Barca Fans