20 - Sergi Roberto

Zinedinho

Does not mean anything what you would say, it is dribbling.

Nope. Dribbling is what Iniesta does, for example. In other words: using tricks to get passed defenders. Sergi Roberto is good at carrying the ball and, whenever he finds space, he can use his power and remarkable ball control to make a run like the one we saw. He also has a pretty good vision, being a natural midfielder raised in La Masia.

JamDav1982

Nope. Dribbling is what Iniesta does, for example. In other words: using tricks to get passed defenders. Sergi Roberto is good at carrying the ball and, whenever he finds space, he can use his power and remarkable ball control to make a run like the one we saw. He also has a pretty good vision, being a natural midfielder raised in La Masia.

There are different kinds of dribbling and Roberto was.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

To dribble - to advance a ball or puck by bouncing it or giving it a series of short kicks or pushes.

What you described Sergi does still counts as dribbling, just a different type. There are close control dribblers like Messi and Iniesta, and distance runners like Sergi, Kaka or Bale.

Windhook

He dribbles as much as space he is given.

Anyway nobody expect Sergi to slalom through opposition's defence like Messi does. I say, I repeat myself, Sergi Roberto has all the abilties required to be a legend for this club. Just like Andres Iniesta he is not so good in defence, but his vision/creativeness, passing and dribbling is much better than Denis Suarez, Rafinha, Arda and Andre Gomes (I would have said combined, but... :D ). It's such a shame Aleix Vidal's injury ruined Barcelona's season.

Zinedinho

There are different kinds of dribbling and Roberto was.

He did more or less a straight run and then he changed direction halfway through, when he got Marcelo behind. I don't know, maybe it's a matter of terminology. I'm Spanish and, generally, we'd never refer to what he did as dribbling or "regate", because it didn't take any particular skills other than controlling and carrying the ball with speed. We would refer to this as a "muy buena conducción", never as "dribbling" or "regate".

Zinedinho

To dribble - to advance a ball or puck by bouncing it or giving it a series of short kicks or pushes.

What you described Sergi does still counts as dribbling, just a different type. There are close control dribblers like Messi and Iniesta, and distance runners like Sergi, Kaka or Bale.

Ok. I looks like "dribbling" has a different meaning to the one we use in Spanish. We have another word ("conducción") for what Sergi Roberto does with space. We usually refer to dribbling when someone has to get past other players and other skills are needed (other than carrying the ball by giving it a series of short kicks, which we call, simply, "conducción").

Total-Football

unbelievable run, had he been a substitue it would have been understandable. I don't know where he keeps that energy stacked. Boy is a problem.. Great technique while Rolling the ball too

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Ok. I looks like "dribbling" has a different meaning to the one we use in Spanish. We have another word ("conducción") for what Sergi Roberto does with space. We usually refer to dribbling when someone has to get past other players and other skills are needed (other than carrying the ball by giving it a series of short kicks, which we call, simply, "conducción").
True its different in spanish. Also if that's the case then every player can "dribble" if you get really touchy with the meaning. Sergi roberto is not a dribbler. What is to be admired about the play isn't his dribbling when you considered all the space available madrid getting caught on the counter etc. His engine and the way he bombed forward is. For example imagine iniesta in that same position. Would he had led that counter from way back there so ferociously? And he is a great dribbler. But i dont think so.

Zinedinho

True its different in spanish. Also if that's the case then every player can "dribble" if you get really touchy with the meaning. Sergi roberto is not a dribbler. What is to be admired about the play isn't his dribbling when you considered all the space available madrid getting caught on the counter etc. His engine and the way he bombed forward is. For example imagine iniesta in that same position. Would he had led that counter from way back there so ferociously? And he is a great dribbler. But i dont think so.

Thanks. Well, remember than run and assist to Neymar against PSG two years ago? Or 2009 CL final and the assist to Eto'o? Iniesta has some pace for a midfielder (well... had?), but what's always been special about his runs is his ball control. Sergi Roberto, while not as good as Iniesta's, has a remarkable ball control when he makes those runs, and is stronger and more powerful. What he doesn't have, of course, is the skills to get past defenders in tight spaces (which is what I was always referring to with "dribbling").

I can relate to Total-Football's description above: "great technique while rolling the ball too". Exactly. That's what Sergi Roberto is good at. This avoids my apparent confusion with the word "dribbling". I have to get used to it, but I'm not sure I like it. Is Spanish a semantically richer language to describe this type of plays? It would seem so.

God Serena

He really should be starting at CM. I can only imagine how good we'd have been this season if we'd have opted out of signing any one of the failed midfield transfers we made and went after a RB, so Sergi could be in midfield.

xXKonan

I wouldn't mind seeing a Iniesta-Busi-Roberto Midfield more often.

I feel at this point Roberto adds more pace,energy and even technicality over Rakitic.

Home of Barca Fans