10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
althought id like him to stay playing for barcelona until 38-39 to see barcelona to beat madrid la liga record.

he can play in first team until 35 then be a bench player like some of the old manchester united gaurd did. hey he can even become assistant coach or something.

it would be good to have him around to beat madrid,
Those pricks will win something before then. Too big of a club to stay shite for long sadly

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
He was really trying to protect that “hasn’t been dribbled past all season” stat.. he daren’t commit to Messi all game, was always on his back foot allowing him to dribble.

There was a moment where he went 1v1 vs Messi ala Boateng and that man was like "nope!" :lol: He just back peddled never committing. Smart guy.

bismp

As this season is coming to an end,I tried to rank Leo's seasons since 2008/09,taking into consideration his personal stats and accolades,the titles he won,the help from his teammates and the overall style of play and leadership

11)2013/14
10)2015/16
9)2008/09
8)2017/18
7)2009/10
6)2016/17
5)2012/13
4)2011/12
3)2018/19
2)2010/11
1)2014/15

Would like to hear your thoughts!

Joan

Valverde built this side for Messi, around Messi. To protect the team from his flaws (poor defensive effort, loose positioning) and give him maximum freedom. Freedom to express himself but at the same time, protect his output. Meaning - if he scores, it's usually enough. And he's doing pretty good job at that. Why do we rely on his and Suarez' clutchness? Because we can. And it's effective. At the same time, the team's more than that. As shown many times in Messi's absence. Or other patterns of play which don't depend on him.

By the way, that graph would look similar no matter which team Messi played for. He's a class above. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
YouMad.jpg

FCB1987

Banned
Yes he is. We are like Atletico/Real/Bayern/Spurs/Juv level w/o Messi. Not as good as City or Liverpool but pretty much better than anyone else. With him of course we have just about proven we are the best.

maybe in a one off match with everyone else fit but not over a full league season

Joan

Yes he is. We are like Atletico/Real/Bayern/Spurs/Juv level w/o Messi. Not as good as City or Liverpool but pretty much better than anyone else. With him of course we have just about proven we are the best.
Why do you think that? Genuinely curious. In other words, based on what?

For me, basically impossible to tell. Messi is too good and dominant not to be in the center, but without him, it would be a completely different team. Valverde would've set it up in a different manner. Leo gives us great advantage, but comes with a price. Wingers, midfielders and a RB lessen what would be their roles in other, more usual functionating teams.

FCB1987

Banned
After we get Griezmann, de Jong, and de Ligt this summer, we''ll have an elite team even without Messi next season

i_bleed_blaugrana

Just curious: how long do people think he’s got?

I mean, he’s just at such a staggering level right now, even if/when he starts actually declining he’ll still be so above pack that he’ll remain elite. I genuinely don’t think it’s outlandish to say he might still be top 3 at the very least when he’s 40. He’s staying away relatively from injuries to where his body can last a little longer than most. Raúl lasted longer than most and obviously there is Maldini, so it’s feasible.

Centauri B

Just curious: how long do people think he’s got?

I mean, he’s just at such a staggering level right now, even if/when he starts actually declining he’ll still be so above pack that he’ll remain elite. I genuinely don’t think it’s outlandish to say he might still be top 3 at the very least when he’s 40. He’s staying away relatively from injuries to where his body can last a little longer than most. Raúl lasted longer than most and obviously there is Maldini, so it’s feasible.

Another 3 seasons would be my guess. Provided he plays less and less.

Home of Barca Fans