10 - Lionel Messi - v5

So guys like Puyol, Maldini, Totti, Simeone are stupid?

Thought the word was integrity and loyalty.

It's great that those players you've listed above have been one club men, but in modern day football it would be stupid to expect loyalty from any party, whether that be agents, players or the clubs. Everyone's just looking our for their best interests and if there happens to be a good fit for all parties a player may stay at a club for a prolonged period of time.

This whole romantic relationship between player and club doesn't exist in modern day football for the most part, it's something you're more likely to see in a Disney flick than in real life. It's funny how you mention a guy like Totti, but he would've been better off leaving Roma for bigger and better things in his prime, he'd just outgrown them at some point and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you think defenders the caliber of Puyol and Maldini would've stayed at Barca and Milan if they weren't so immensely successful? There is also no club with better personnel to play the system Simeone likes to employ than Atleti.

This whole "integrity and loyalty" stuff is over glorified and is really storybook stuff for the most part. For most one club players it's more about convenience and comfort over an inseparable love to their club.

If Messi stays it will be predominantly based on not wanting to move his family and comfort over his love for us. Messi owes this club nothing, in fact we'll be the ones forever indebted to him. At some point Messi came to the realization that the club is bad enough from the management down to justify giving it all up and starting a new life on world class team, and that's exactly what he's considering now.

M

MessiCam

It's great that those players you've listed above have been one club men, but in modern day football it would be stupid to expect loyalty from any party, whether that be agents, players or the clubs. Everyone's just looking our for their best interests and if there happens to be a good fit for all parties a player may stay at a club for a prolonged period of time.

This whole romantic relationship between player and club doesn't exist in modern day football for the most part, it's something you're more likely to see in a Disney flick than in real life. It's funny how you mention a guy like Totti, but he would've been better off leaving Roma for bigger and better things in his prime, he'd just outgrown them at some point and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you think defenders the caliber of Puyol and Maldini would've stayed at Barca and Milan if they weren't so immensely successful? There is also no club with better personnel to play the system Simeone likes to employ than Atleti.

This whole "integrity and loyalty" stuff is over glorified and is really storybook stuff for the most part. For most one club players it's more about convenience and comfort over an inseparable love to their club.

If Messi stays it will be predominantly based on not wanting to move his family and comfort over his love for us. Messi owes this club nothing, in fact we'll be the ones forever indebted to him. At some point Messi came to the realization that the club is bad enough from the management down to justify giving it all up and starting a new life on world class team, and that's exactly what he's considering now.

I think this is oversimplification though. There definitely are loyalists and Puyol, Maldini and Totti are testament to that but you get players like Gerrard and Xavi as well which history won't show as one club men but they're men that wouldn't even consider playing for another club which would compete with their beloved.

I don't think Messi even cares about the state of the board but he I have doubts that he fall under either of these categories.

I think this is oversimplification though. There definitely are loyalists and Puyol, Maldini and Totti are testament to that but you get players like Gerrard and Xavi as well which history won't show as one club men but they're men that wouldn't even consider playing for another club which would compete with their beloved.

I don't think Messi even cares about the state of the board but he I have doubts that he fall under either of these categories.

Didn't it come out that Gerrard wanted to leave Liverpool for Chelsea in 2005? Also it is impossible to be sure that Puyol and Maldini would have stayed at their respective clubs if they weren't so dominant, no doubt they're loyal players, but would they have been willing to play their primes out on mediocre teams? That's a question that will never be answered. Totti was incredibly loyal to Roma and it has been argued that he was loyal to a fault. Roma are a good team don't get me wrong, but they never have and never will match the ambitions of a player the caliber of Totti, the only person he hurt was himself staying there for his entire career. He should've taken the step up.

I also doubt Messi doesn't care about the state of the board, as that implies he doesn't care about who his teammates and supporting players are, which I believe is false. Messi's case is unfolding right in front of our eyes and we will know where he stands in a couple months after the dust settles, so it really is pointless debating about his loyalty towards us.

M

MessiCam

Didn't it come out that Gerrard wanted to leave Liverpool for Chelsea in 2005? Also it is impossible to be sure that Puyol and Maldini would have stayed at their respective clubs if they weren't so dominant, no doubt they're loyal players, but would they have been willing to play their primes out on mediocre teams? That's a question that will never be answered. Totti was incredibly loyal to Roma and it has been argued that he was loyal to a fault. Roma are a good team don't get me wrong, but they never have and never will match the ambitions of a player the caliber of Totti, the only person he hurt was himself staying there for his entire career. He should've taken the step up.
Fair enough

I also doubt Messi doesn't care about the state of the board, as that implies he doesn't care about who his teammates and supporting players are, which I believe is false. Messi's case is unfolding right in front of our eyes and we will know where he stands in a couple months after the dust settles, so it really is pointless debating about his loyalty towards us.
Messi agreed to this deal with the same board, same players... Only difference is that Neymar left and Dembele arrived. That's about it...

Anyway, life without Messi has to start at some stage... Why not next season?

Messi agreed to this deal with the same board, same players... Only difference is that Neymar left and Dembele arrived. That's about it...

Anyway, life without Messi has to start at some stage... Why not next season?

This team without Messi is going to unwatchable, it's going to take us years, who knows how long, to rebuild and rise back to the top and that's assuming our management becomes competent all of a sudden, which is extremely unlikely in the next few years with Barto at the helm.

If Messi leaves, I also feel that Valverde has to be sacked, it's not his fault, but he's a manager that coaches for short-term success with no real long-term vision in mind and with Messi gone the focus morose than ever in recent Barca history will be on the future and developing youngsters.

Let's say Messi leaves to City or another major European force, we lose half our fan base (let's be real a lot of our fans are Messi fans over Barca fans), our global brand takes a hit, our results start to erode and this club finally sheds it's title of being one of the top teams in the world.

We essentially start a back at square one and a new generation and era of FC Barcelona has to be cultivated from scratch.

I'm sure we'll find success at some point after Messi leaves, we're to big not to, but our coaching and board will determine how fast we reach it.

Losing Messi is like death, it's inevitable, nobody wants it to happen, but sooner or later it's going to happen so it's better to be prepared for it at anytime.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

This team without Messi is going to unwatchable, it's going to take us years, who knows how long, to rebuild and rise back to the top and that's assuming our management becomes competent all of a sudden, which is extremely unlikely in the next few years with Barto at the helm.

If Messi leaves, I also feel that Valverde has to be sacked, it's not his fault, but he's a manager that coaches for short-term success with no real long-term vision in mind and with Messi gone the focus morose than ever in recent Barca history will be on the future and developing youngsters.

Let's say Messi leaves to City or another major European force, we lose half our fan base (let's be real a lot of our fans are Messi fans over Barca fans), our global brand takes a hit, our results start to erode and this club finally sheds it's title of being one of the top teams in the world.

We essentially start a back at square one and a new generation and era of FC Barcelona has to be cultivated from scratch.

I'm sure we'll find success at some point after Messi leaves, we're to big not to, but our coaching and board will determine how fast we reach it.

Losing Messi is like death, it's inevitable, nobody wants it to happen, but sooner or later it's going to happen so it's better to be prepared for it at anytime.

I agree and if Messi leaves for City this board won't survive but I'm not all that interested in that.

Edit: Had to post quick due to a client walking in unexpectedly.

Anyway, I don’t want Messi to leave as it would be disastrous as you’ve said and him finishing off here and going to his boyhood club is such a romantic story. It’s the stuff of legend.

My opinion is that if Messi leaves, which is a very real possibility, it won’t be due to the board etc for reasons already posted but rather that he had his head turned.

Last edited:

valk

Bullsh*t.

Totti is now immortal...Had he left that perhaps wouldn't have been the case.He will be a living legend until his last breath,and an even bigger one after that.He will always be remembered,his name will always be mentioned,his goals and records will always be talked about and replayed whenever there's a Roma game scheduled.

Trade that for a couple trophies?Never.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Messi: "If we win the World Cup, I promise to walk [65 kilometers] from Rosario to San Nicolas." [tyc sports]

Ripsta

If he decides to go elsewhere, good luck to him. He's carried the side for years, torn the record books up, and will go down as the Club's best player ever, never to be overtaken.

BarçaBarça

I think he will sign in the last moment, just to pressure some changes through from the side of the board, during January and summer.
If January passes and there isn't an extension, then he will extend in the end - if he wanted to leave, everything would be settled by January 1st.

Right now I really trust he will stay.

Nothanks

I want to believe he will wait until the board delivers with good signings and he'll be convinced and stays

I wouldn't hold it against him if he wants a new challenge and moves to a new country/league just would be terrifying to see how we would react come 2018/19 season..

i guess the board surely will have to be kicked out if messi leaves for free?

Kohe321

Yeah, I think the reason he hasn't signed yet is to put pressure on the board to work hard in the January window. At least I hope so. I don't think he wants to leave at all.

Home of Barca Fans