10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

Now, CR scored yesterday from penalty

A penalty he himself obtained after a great dribble. Ronaldo was incredible in the first half last night, he didn't just score from a pk. It's not his fault Benzema had a clumsy first touch in 1 vs 1 with Moya.

dakt

A penalty he himself obtained after a great dribble. Ronaldo was incredible in the first half last night, he didn't just score from a pk. It's not his fault Benzema had a clumsy first touch in 1 vs 1 with Moya.

I agree that he was good in 1st half, but that wasn't a good dribble. He made it too close to the opponent and provoked a penalty. Fouls against Munir yesterday were much closer to penalty, but referee never called them.

hellsangel1

Come back when you find Maradona marked by 3 players like Messi is all game and deliver a defense shattering thoughball or a mazy dribble past all of them

Are you serious??? Since when have started watching football?? I know it's not the most popular sports in your country. You have a lot of catching up to do but I hope you'll get there soon.

hellsangel1

QupmN9U.gif

how ironic making a gif stupid after your post from the last page.

I've seen alot of maradona videos and I don't see him superior to Messi when it comes to playmaking.

Don't forget to post next time Messi has a hatrick complaining about his work rate or other dumb stuff :coffee:

Maybe I will just to see what other dumb stuff you can come up with.

And what do you think Maradona was famous for??? He wasn't famous mainly for his goal-scoring ability even though he did score some famous and incredible goals. His goal-scoring isn't the first thing that comes to ppl's mind when they think of Maradona's greatness. It was his ability to create space for himself and just as importantly for others that made him so revered (his ability to elevate the level of those around him) despite the fact that teams would set up entirely to stop and brutally foul him. He played a more deeper role than Messi and was a far more adept and natural no.10 . Maradona was never the best goal-scorer of his generation, in the early 80's it was Zico and from the mid 80's onwards it was Van Basten. But both of those supreme goal-scorers will tell you who the best player of their generation was. Maradona was one of the best players at the 1990 world cup despite not scoring a single goal.

Read the comments of Baresi (widely regarded as the best defender of his generation) on Maradona:

Here's the link: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/franco-baresi-one-one

Q.Who was the toughest opponent you ever played against?Harry Davison, Blackpool
I've faced so many. In Italy in the early '80s Juve had Platini, and Rossi. Napoli had Maradona and Careca, Inter had Altobelli; all players of great talent. If I have to pick one, it'd be Maradona; when he was on form, there was almost no way of stopping him.

QYou must have had some titanic battles with Diego Maradona when he was in his pomp with Napoli; any particular memories stand out? Did he ever make you look stupid? What was your tactic with him - just kick him as early as possible?
Louis Harrison, New Orleans
Well, the odd knock might happen, from time to time! [Chuckles] He was dangerous, he used to score against us often. We had to be very well organised; put pressure on him, doubling up, tripling up even to limit his talents. Because if it was one-on-one, you'd lose.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/franco-baresi-one-one#7WYGpGThgO4zc4vX.99

It's quite something for a player of Baresi's quality to say that he couldn't handle Diego one-on-one because if ever there was someone who could do it,it was surely the Milan captain. Milan had one of the greatest defenses that I've seen and yet i've read how their coach (Sacchi) used to have their entire defensive organisation set up to stop one player. It's incredible how even the great players from Maradona's generation (Zico,platini,socrates) are in complete awe when asked of Maradona's greatness.

Last edited:

alex88bg

@hellsangel
you are just a fanboy of one player as someone else here is also of another player,and as one you are blindly deffendening him and insisting on some ridiculous discussions.
Agreed Diego was who we knoe he was but that mindless bash on Leo in the first sentance just made me not read your comments because you are irrational at best and pretty annoying.
My two cents ,and please move on...

NotInHere

Maradona was great, so is Messi, the argument should end there.

I don't agree that Messi is not working hard off the ball, a player of his magnitude should not be running like Pedro or running after lose balls when he knows it will only be a waste of energy to do so, he times every single tackle he makes if you notice, he mostly does it when the opponent is unaware and uses amazing body strength to take away the ball.

Judging a player of his skillset because he doesn't work hard without the ball should be the last priority on your list, if he makes up for it offensively of course, which he has. He has literally influenced our outcomes in all of our past games.

Not to shabby for someone who doesn't have workrate without the ball right?

Kerrybai

He could of had 6 assists yesterday and as usual he makes the difference... his dribbling looks great too, no signs of decline yet. Amazing.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Maradona was great, so is Messi, the argument should end there.

I don't agree that Messi is not working hard off the ball, a player of his magnitude should not be running like Pedro or running after lose balls when he knows it will only be a waste of energy to do so, he times every single tackle he makes if you notice, he mostly does it when the opponent is unaware and uses amazing body strength to take away the ball.

Judging a player of his skillset because he doesn't work hard without the ball should be the last priority on your list, if he makes up for it offensively of course, which he has. He has literally influenced our outcomes in all of our past games.

Not to shabby for someone who doesn't have workrate without the ball right?
:beer2: :party1:

Icarium

Lifestealer
I am really bored with messi and maradona comparisons. Maradona is a myth, no matter what Messi does he might be considered inferior to Maradona until he wins a world cup. I have never seen D10S play so i don't really care. For me messi is the best.

hellsangel1

a player of his magnitude should not be running like Pedro or running after lose balls when he knows it will only be a waste of energy to do so, he times every single tackle he makes if you notice, he mostly does it when the opponent is unaware and uses amazing body strength to take away the ball.

Judging a player of his skillset because he doesn't work hard without the ball should be the last priority on your list, if he makes up for it offensively of course, which he has.

Could you please explain to me why 'a player of his magnitude should not be running around like Pedro'??? I'm not saying that Messi should be running around for the entire 90 mins of every game but why can't I fault a player when I say that he should increase his work-rate and make more runs into the box, since this is something that we have seen from him for his entire career until last season. I know that Messi has played more games now but I still think that we can expect a little more from his workrate off the ball (which I wouldn't say was entirely non-existent against Bilbao but could be better). I remember reading a few years ago and certainly in relation to Ronaldo from many Madrid fans, as to how much Messi used to help out with his defensive work and pressing and we don't see that any where near as often as we used to. Is it really that much to ask your best player to set the standard when it comes to work-rate and intensity, especially when Messi for years set the standard when it comes to that . It is normal to not expect someone to be terrific and score goals in every game but I think that one should expect a certain level of intensity which I thought was missing in large parts of his game against Bilbao(especially in the first half and beginning of the 2nd). Yes, Messi can still make an impact offensively and he has at times but so does Ronaldo in a game when when he has missed countless shots. Anyways, maybe my judgement was a little bit harsh regarding his work-rate but yesterday reminded me a lot of how his season under Tata went and I hope this season turns out different.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Could you please explain to me why 'a player of his magnitude should not be running around like Pedro'??? I'm not saying that Messi should be running around for the entire 90 mins of every game but why can't I fault a player when I say that he should increase his work-rate and make more runs into the box, since this is something that we have seen from him for his entire career until last season. I know that Messi has played more games now but I still think that we can expect a little more from his workrate off the ball (which I wouldn't say was entirely non-existent against Bilbao but could be better). I remember reading a few years ago and certainly in relation to Ronaldo from many Madrid fans, as to how much Messi used to help out with his defensive work and pressing and we don't see that any where near as often as we used to. Is it really that much to ask your best player to set the standard when it comes to work-rate and intensity, especially when Messi for years set the standard when it comes to that . It is normal to not expect someone to be terrific and score goals in every game but I think that one should expect a certain level of intensity which I thought was missing in large parts of his game against Bilbao(especially in the first half and beginning of the 2nd). Yes, Messi can still make an impact offensively and he has at times but so does Ronaldo in a game when when he has missed countless shots. Anyways, maybe my judgement was a little bit harsh regarding his work-rate but yesterday reminded me a lot of how his season under Tata went and I hope this season turns out different.
you ever wonder the reason Messi doesn't have a high workrate is because he physically can't? He had HGH deficiency and if you think that never effected him physically you are blunt. He needs to conserve energy for his incredible bursts in offense therefore unable to contribute much defensively.
P.S if you comeback with another did you start being a Barca fan last year I swear I am gonna get banned for my reply. So don't try to provoke me further

hellsangel1

@hellsangel
you are just a fanboy of one player as someone else here is also of another player,and as one you are blindly deffendening him and insisting on some ridiculous discussions.
Agreed Diego was who we knoe he was but that mindless bash on Leo in the first sentance just made me not read your comments because you are irrational at best and pretty annoying.
My two cents ,and please move on...

Your comprehension skills seem to be clearly lacking. I've said it in the post and in numerous times before that I consider Messi to be my favourite player ever, which I had to write down because if you are critical of some aspect during a game of Leo some idiot will always come and accuse you of being a 'hater' or 'mindless bash'. And I wasn't trying to turn this into a messi vs maradona thread, I was just trying to compare different aspects of their game and not turn this into a discussion about who was a better overall player . Messi is better in certain aspects and Maradona is better in others. I was just trying to compare their roles as a playmaker and give props to a legend in the game and not trying to denigrate one or the other. If you find my posts annoying then I suggest you not reply to them.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread for now. I've said all that i have to say.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hellsangel has a point. Messi was a lot quieter yesterday in the first half, did not have a dribble won until the second half and was different from his more lively performance in the first two games. And we all know Messi could do more off the ball.

However, hellsangel, don't be overly critical after one game. Has it occurred to you that he is recovering from an injury, after all? He was not going full throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans