1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

ajnotkeith

Bollocks.

No keeper saves those goals.

You dont understand XG or how to apply it either if using it to show keepers performance there.

Last season he ranked in the 56th percentile for PSXG or Goalkeeper expected goals. Meaning more than half of the goalkeepers in LaLiga outperformed him in expected goals conceded. He conceded 32 goals whilst being expected to concede only 29, so a -3 PSXG . For reference Oblak had a +6.8 PSXG, and Courtois had a +1.9 PSXG.

Denying MATS has taken a massive fall is a waste of breath and he's only getting worse.

He went from an amazing GK who would win us points on his own under Valverde to one who is barely an average Liga keeper and concedes most shots on target. Something happened.

JamDav1982

Last season he ranked in the 56th percentile for PSXG or Goalkeeper expected goals. Meaning more than half of the goalkeepers in LaLiga outperformed him in expected goals conceded. He conceded 32 goals whilst being expected to concede only 29, so a -3 PSXG . For reference Oblak had a +6.8 PSXG, and Courtois had a +1.9 PSXG.

Denying MATS has taken a massive fall is a waste of breath and he's only getting worse.

He went from an amazing GK who would win us points on his own under Valverde to one who is barely an average Liga keeper and concedes most shots on target. Something happened.

Not that point made... I said he has dropped in last 18 months or so but some then try to dissect every goal as if made out should save it.

The xG stats you used are useless and not knowing how those stats work.

The way teams set up impacts keepers saves % as well. It is why likes of Atletico in La Liga and Burnley in EPL will have lots of saves. Teams that defend their own box more will always have those better stats if do it well.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I don't blame him for the Alaba goal at all, it was a great precise shooting. But cannot explain how come we end up every game conceding those masterpiece goals, all the time and everyone is "MATS is not to blame" mantra. The saves he made today were shots at where his positioning was, he does that well, but still shots at his body.

It is mix between those.
MATS has a lot to be blamed for, and should be replaced whenever a better GK is available, that doesn't warrant to blame him for un-savable goals for the sake of it.

Horatio

You're welcome
But if Mats does not save un-savable goals. And he does not save difficult shots neither. Then what is the point of having him?

El Gato

Villarato!
Something I don?t quite understand is how much stick he gets.
That situation where Vini got played in and he had to contain him he?s done very well I thought.
Don?t understand why people blame him for the first goal too.

Do folk want him to do what Casillas did for shite RM side or something? He?s got half the luck and half the reflexes but still better than most of what?s there on offer.

Genuinely curious of specific examples where people think he?s had a shocker that let team down more than defence did.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He gets shit on when it isn't his fault, but he's regressed last few years and barely improved in the areas he's always been weak on. Don't know if it's poor coaching or ter Stegen himself. On top of that he signed a new contract with a much bigger salary and had knee issues last three years he's undergone treatment for in the summers.

The club need to make a business decision and move on from him ASAP before it's too late because he's a prime candidate of a Casillas-esque regression with his physical condition.

El Gato

Villarato!
So he’s regressed like the rest of the team that adjust to their worst performer. Like, he’s a fine player otherwise and he’s not sent Bravo to City for no reason. It’s a confidence thing, and perhaps a little bit of entitlement with how much money he gets for what he feels is 3x the job with how shite his team is. But I still don’t think he’s as bad as made out and would be absolutely solid with a side that has a single competent CB in front of their GK

Guys like him, Nacho, Varane, even Casemiro to an extent, have the tendency to be world class but often adjust to lowest common denominator when team just absolutely sucks

All in all some of y’all are giving him shit because you want him to start leading by example of saving insane shots in the absence of anyone else really doing it outfield ahead of him. I get it, but come on lol. Most of MATS criticism I find unreasonable. Comments like he’s Karius are just fucking idiotic

Last edited:

Porque

So what was up with Vini being offside by a metre and ref letting the action play on for Vini to dribble past Stegen, not once, not twice, but three times before missing.

Did the ref get his popcorn out and enjoy Stegen get embarrassed so much that he let the action unmecessarily play on for so long?

Then in the second half a Barcelona player was onside and they immediately blew for offside.

I mean, where is the balance in the application of offside and the usage of VAR?

JohnN

It was a close game and mats maybe could have deflected the shot that leads to the second goal better, but that also requires some luck from that distance. He couldn't do anything after the rebound (Garcia should be faster there) and of course he can't save the first goal, it's a rocket in the opposite high corner from inside the box. I know he has dropped levels since his top days, but we can't scrutinize every single goal like this to make the point. Sometimes, he isn't at fault.

Bobo32

So what was up with Vini being offside by a metre and ref letting the action play on for Vini to dribble past Stegen, not once, not twice, but three times before missing.

Did the ref get his popcorn out and enjoy Stegen get embarrassed so much that he let the action unmecessarily play on for so long?

Then in the second half a Barcelona player was onside and they immediately blew for offside.

I mean, where is the balance in the application of offside and the usage of VAR?

Yeah it was very strange, and it is very strange but I think by design the way in which VAR can be used. I said it before it was implemented, and I think both you and I and Koeman agree that they don't consult VAR in a fair manner, meaning it gets easier to decide games through ref/var decisions (that might be correct in themselves) than before.

I do not agree Marc was embarrassed though, he followed the ball nicely and it wasn't a goal. Vinicius looked a bit embarrassing though.

Horatio

You're welcome

Yeah Jordi Alba. I wondered the exact same thing lol

Porque

Yeah it was very strange, and it is very strange but I think by design the way in which VAR can be used. I said it before it was implemented, and I think both you and I and Koeman agree that they don't consult VAR in a fair manner, meaning it gets easier to decide games through ref/var decisions (that might be correct in themselves) than before.

I do not agree Marc was embarrassed though, he followed the ball nicely and it wasn't a goal. Vinicius looked a bit embarrassing though.

Well you are correct. But it did make Stegs look rather foolish diving 3 times and being turned on. I reckon if Stegs and Vini done that cutback 80 times that the ref still would be waiting for the VAR call!

Also another weird application. You give 7 minutes added time. There are 2 added time goals, and then you blow the f8nal whistle at... 96 minutes and 50 seconds.

Just boggling.

Home of Barca Fans