1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

God Serena

Considering Roberto might not even be a starter in two years, whether it will be Semedo or Odriozola taking that spot or someone else, he should not be appointed as a captain.

The next 4th captain is going to be one of these three: Alba, Rakitic, Suarez. In terms of seniority Alba gets it, but he shouldn't as he's way too hotheaded. Suarez mouths off a lot too so I think Rakitic is the best option, at least for the foreseeable future. MAtS wouldn't a bad shout either, but he comes behind those three I think.

Alba and Suarez are the worst players imaginable for the captain role. Suarez especially becoming captain would be terrible. Rakitic getting it would be down entirely to seniority. I'm not a fan of Mats becoming a captain, but if those are the first three options for getting it maybe he would be a better shout.

Although we all know La Masia bias + Seniority is what determines who the captains are both in the eyes of the fans and players, so this is really a moot discussion. Lol

Nothanks

you guys do know that wearing the armband means absolutely nothing except having to attend the coin flip and shake hands with other refs?
our team has many leaders and they don't step down just because they don't have some dumb yellow armband

Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi.
we have natural leaders in all lines in our formation, and it's not because they are from la masia or whatever.. they step up and encourage the rest when shit gets rough.. they mentor and teach the new players
we don't need a gatttuso type of leader yelling and demanding attention all over the field that's not a leader, that's a man child trying to show passion

Last edited:

Joan

you guys do know that wearing the armband means absolutely nothing except having to attend the coin flip and shake hands with other refs?
our team has many leaders and they don't step down just because they don't have some dumb yellow armband

Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi.
we have natural leaders in all lines in our formation, and it's not because they are from la masia or whatever.. they step up and encourage the rest when shit gets rough.. they mentor and teach the new players
we don't need a gatttuso type of leader yelling and demanding attention all over the field that's not a leader, that's a man child trying to show passion

When I remember Puyol I always think of him as a captain first. Some people have a natural talent for that. When the spirit is low for instance... but also need to be fair, respect the opponents.

Personally, think MAtS is the best choice. But I really love him so might be subjective.

When I remember Puyol I always think of him as a captain first. Some people have a natural talent for that. When the spirit is low for instance... but also need to be fair, respect the opponents.

Personally, think MAtS is the best choice. But I really love him so might be subjective.

The opinion of Captain shouting at their teammates, throwing themselves at every ball, shouting at everyone to fight until the end is a great captain is so much held throughout the century. But it's not true at all.

If you want to know what a leader is, look at Iniesta, when team struggling to find a way, look at Messi in the Sevilla match after he scored the goal. He was like, is that all you want right....

Joan

The opinion of Captain shouting at their teammates, throwing themselves at every ball, shouting at everyone to fight until the end is a great captain is so much held throughout the century. But it's not true at all.

If you want to know what a leader is, look at Iniesta, when team struggling to find a way, look at Messi in the Sevilla match after he scored the goal. He was like, is that all you want right....
I don't like huge authority but rather respect. So, the type described is not my first choice, but - why wouldn't it be true at all? Are you saying that the likes of Roy Keane or Gattuso are not great captains?

What's wrong with Puyol?

I do respect Messi and Iniesta's role, huge legacy which they have in the club.

I don't like huge authority but rather respect. So, the type described is not my first choice, but - why wouldn't it be true at all? Are you saying that the likes of Roy Keane or Gattuso are not great captains?

What's wrong with Puyol?

I do respect Messi and Iniesta's role, huge legacy which they have in the club.

"When things go hard and we don't know what to do, I look up for Iniesta"
- Messi

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Throwback to when people wanted to sell MAtS to keep Bravo.

We probably hindered his development for a couple of years which could have turned out to be catastrophic for us, but luckily he's tough as nails.

Perhaps we should wait another season before condemning Dembele too? You would think people learn here, but obviously not.

Messi983

Good post.

Don't think we really hindered his development though. It was a good decision to also bring Bravo at the same time and let MATS adapting in his first season with less pressure.

Home of Barca Fans