1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

R

Ryu Hayabusa

So goals being scoring on the break no longer count? In 2013, barca had 67% possession in the first leg and 63% possession in the 2nd leg. A PEAK BAYERN, playing against a rubbish Barca were more than happy to play defensive, basic brutish neanderthal football (before you kill me, I am only using your arguments...) In the 2nd leg BARCA had 17 shots against a mere 7 shots for Bayern. Defensive, isn't it?

Exactly, your argument (which I was borrowing in the above para) is just rubbish. Barcelona are better technically than Bayern. Barcelona are also more cerebral, philosophical than Bayern....don't say that Bayern may have advanced.
Let us get a few things straight:
1) Barcelona are just better than Bayern and hence deserved to win. No more rubbish about ''Bayern may have advanced''
2) This is just my opinion, but Ter Stegen is not really better technically than Bravo
3) ter Stegen is more brutish than Bravo, which may help aerially though

You also may want to take the quality of shots into account while you are at it. Barca had several shots into the woods in that match.
Barca, over two legs were the better team over a decimated Bayern team and thus fully deserved to advance. My argument was about those excellent shots ter Stegen defused, which may have changed something in the end, maybe they wouldn't have.
Your point "are better" and thus "deserved to win" doesn't make any sense grammatically.
Hopefully we'll get to see whether they indeed ARE better than Bayern if both are at full strength. Would be truly epic.

God Serena

You also may want to take the quality of shots into account while you are at it. Barca had several shots into the woods in that match.
Barca, over two legs were the better team over a decimated Bayern team and thus fully deserved to advance. My argument was about those excellent shots ter Stegen defused, which may have changed something in the end, maybe they wouldn't have.
Your point "are better" and thus "deserved to win" doesn't make any sense grammatically.
Hopefully we'll get to see whether they indeed ARE better than Bayern if both are at full strength. Would be truly epic.

I'd rather not. These revenge storylines are quite risky when you're trying to pull the repeat :coffee:

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, it's 1-1 now over the last two encounters were both teams could have been considered equal on paper, and both times one team was injury hampered (one more than the other though tbh :p). So we do need a decisive match-up ;)

Catta

Barca wasn't even the better team despite the early lead, with the goals having been scored on the break. What you are doing is revisionism! Ter Stegen made several very good blocks against shots from Müller and Lewa for instance. Barca played at full strength, Bayern's team was still severly hampered. Even if Barca "took the foot off the pedal at some point", it still isn't guaranteed that they could have stemmed themselves against the tidal wave and get back into the game after conceding the third (or with a lesser goalkeeper, the fourth or fifth), especially with Suarez off the pitch. You do remember how Porto broke within 20 minutes against Bayern?
Not saying that this whole would have been a likely scenario, just pointing out that without Ter Stegen's crucial saves in this match, this could have gone a different way altogether.

are you seriously comparing Porto with Barca
Barca was leading 2-1 at halftime, 5-1 overall, that was when the game ended, there was no way in hell that Bayern could have scored 5 goals in one half against that Barca team without, your scored the remaining two just because we let you, you were outclassed and that's it
I still believe that if Pep wasn't your coach we would have embarrassed you just like you embarrassed us, but we stopped because of respect for our former coach

God Serena

How about you agree to get second in your group, while we get first, and then play in the R16? It'll give your wingers time to recover from their pre-Christmas injuries :whistle:

JamDav1982

Bayern were 'decimated'?

How man injuries did they have? Three? Four?

in 2013 Barca had Puyol/Masch/Abidal all missing and Messi and Busquets were not fit. That is a worse situation than Bayern were in.

V

vigneshFCB

Again, my point is that there is no debate. Barca at full strength > Bayern at full strength. Barca at full strength would not lose 4-1 to wolfsburg, nor park the bus against dortmund to gain a pyrrhic 1-0 victory. There is no debate. Accept it. Also, Barca at full strength would have completely dominated the Bundesliga (i.e. won by at least 12 points) and comfortably beat opponents in DFB Pokal, instead of playing defensively and playing for the penalty shootout.

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

I think you are little bit delusional, if you truly believe that that match was solely at the mercy of the good-will of Barca's players. You statement boggles the mind even more considering that the very same Barca team nearly completely bottled a not completely unimportant match just yesterday while leading 4-1, while I already provided historic evidence of Bayern being able to be very efficient and overwhelming within a short period of time.

V

vigneshFCB

I think you are little bit delusional, if you truly believe that that match was solely at the mercy of the good-will of Barca's players. You statement boggles the mind even more considering that the very same Barca team nearly completely bottled a not completely unimportant match just yesterday while leading 4-1, while I already provided historic evidence of Bayern being able to be very efficient and overwhelming within a short period of time.

Not delusional. Yes Barca bottled it yesterday. But we are talking about frequency of bottling..Barca 'bottle it' less than Bayern (as proven by treble win). Therefore, Barca are better than Bayern - Barcelona are more attacking and play more beautiful football than Bayern. How can you dispute that Barca are better than Bayern? Bayern bottled it last season by parking the bus against Dortmund, and failing to win Dfb Pokal. It seems that Bayern are very happy to play Chelsea-style on occasion. Also please stick to 2014/15 and 2015/16 season.. 2012/13 is too far back to be used in current evaluation of teams.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Your revisionism of that Bayern v Barca second leg is about as bad as it gets.

Barca played open and left Messi/Neymar and Suarez up the park and made it an open game knowing if they scored once Bayern needed five to go through.

Of course Bayern would get chances everyone knew that would happen but they also knew Barca had the best attacking trio in the world that would score at least once in a game that open.

The first half of that game went exactly as Barca wanted it to and they qualified easily.

Ter Stegen making a few saves was expected and doesnt change the fact that game was totally under Barcelonas control at all times.

serghei

Your revisionism of that Bayern v Barca second leg is about as bad as it gets.

Barca played open and left Messi/Neymar and Suarez up the park and made it an open game knowing if they scored once Bayern needed five to go through.

Of course Bayern would get chances everyone knew that would happen but they also knew Barca had the best attacking trio in the world that would score at least once in a game that open.

The first half of that game went exactly as Barca wanted it to and they qualified easily.

Ter Stegen making a few saves was expected and doesnt change the fact that game was totally under Barcelonas control at all times.

Yea exactly. We had much more control than Bayern had for instance in 2013, when they lost to Arsenal, 2-0 at home and were actually one goal from being out in an embarassing fashion.

That tie was almost over when Neymar scored for 3-0, and virtually over when he made 1-1 on the Alianz.

Last edited:
V

vigneshFCB

Yea exactly. We had much more control than Bayern had for instance in 2013, when they lost to Arsenal, 2-0 at home and were actually one goal from being out in an embarassing fashion.

And that Bayern was mostly brutish, though it had some technical ability. Arsenal (ARSENAL) had 55% possession over Bayern in the 1st leg.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Bayern were 'decimated'?

How man injuries did they have? Three? Four?

in 2013 Barca had Puyol/Masch/Abidal all missing and Messi and Busquets were not fit. That is a worse situation than Bayern were in.

Really? Are you really dead serious about that claim?
Robben's importance for Bayern's game 2014/15 is comparable to Messi's importance for Barca 2012/13, even if the player himself may not be as good.
Robben is Bayern's MVP.
Lewandowski was at maybe 50% and even hindered by a physical object right in his face.
Alaba was injured, who is crucial for Bayern's left side (next you are probably going to dispute that Alaba is easily one of the three best LBs alive). Oh, right, speaking of the left flank. A certain Ribery was also missing, who Bayern had no replacement for.
Badstuber and Martinez were also missing, with Martinez being arguably the best holding midfielder of 12/13 and originally planned center piece of Pep's envisioned three man line of defence being somewhat of a blow. Badstuber, while playing only rarely the season due to injuries, is still one of Bayern's three best CBs even if only barely fit.
Benatia was far from being in full form or fully match-fit, having only recently recovered from one of his many injuries that season.
Lahm was also back just for a few weeks after a long injury, which clearly showed in those two matches, as he was just not agile and fast enough as he used to be.

I may have even missed a few, but how ANYONE, even a Barca fan, can claim that Bayern's injury problems last season were not much worse, let alone not even as severe than Barca's in 2013, is COMPLETELY beyond me.

And that was the last word from me on this topic, as it is a) derailing this thread, and b) I got an important exam coming up in 2 days which I definitely still have to do some preparation to do for.

Home of Barca Fans