Ronald Koeman

Total-Football

"You have to be realistic in life. Our young players showed we have a future and we have a lot of players to come back from injuries. It is what it is" Koeman told a news conference.

"We know we're missing a lot of players in attack and we have to wait a few weeks to have more options and more speed going forward. I don't want to look for excuses but everyone knows the problems we had with the players who were unavailable."

I was reading his post match comments I chocked on my cookies seeing how the wild the" it's what it's " has reappeared lmaoooo! The only constant thing in this club is the" it's what it's"

Bobo32

The fact he keeps publicly moaning about the quality and level of his squad will do nothing to motivate them.

"I don't want to blame X, but X"

also "In 2 or 3 years these players will be great (and don't forget to praise me then)"

Last edited:

Raketa10

This begs a big question.. Why the team with the biggest revenue in the world keep signing dummy coaches.. Why not Tuchel or Klopp when they were available. Why always tito Tata titis. A mystery

Because knowledge of the Spanish language is apparently one of the main criteria for this club. It's just dumb as it gets. Majority of our players understand English for sure.

The fact he keeps publicly moaning about the quality and level of his squad will do nothing to motivate them.

Unfortunately this man has no managerial skills at all. In addition to that, his tactical knowledge is horrendous and his man management is even worse. Above all that he is always on the verge of conflict with the board and Laporta. IMHO the sooner we get rid of him and appoint a proper manager the better. Young players won't develop under him at all. I am aware that he is giving minutes to our youngsters but this is just one factor. Minutes on the pitch without a proper guidance and tactical education mean nothing.

Last edited:

MagIX

After 5 years of being pummeled by big teams in the CL....

Even the barca dream team with Xavi and Ineista (Messi injured but even with him nothing would have changed) we lost 7-0 (0-4 and 0-3 at home) vs Bayern CL season 2012/13 totally dominated and annihilated by them....
I don't know, something is wrong in our mentality or in whatever else.

behindbrowneyes

He is done. I don't think he will last until Christmas. Unfortunately we all saw last season that he is not a Barca level manager. It's clear that our team is weak and unbalanced but we simply MUST qualify for the next year CL. Finishing out of TOP 4 in La Liga would be an epic disaster.

I don't think Top4 is in danger with Koeman as manager.
It's naturally that everything is heading towards meltdown in here after losing 0-3 to Bayern, but realistically speaking we won't face Bayern in La Liga and apart from both Madrid's (who are both weaker than Bayern) the team is good enough to finish Top4 behind them.

Koeman lacks tactical knowledge and his idea of football is outdated, but with yesterday's available squad every coach would struggle. The question we should ask isn't if we can finish top4 with Koeman, but if he is the right coach to develop our younger players for the upcoming future while staying competitive enough. If the answer is no, who can we get instead of him? No top coach in the world will touch Barca in current condition. Some younger guy that is talented but lacks experience and maybe authority? But who? Xavi gets mentioned a lot. I'm not so sure about him and recent examples of Lampard, Pirlo or Arteta show that a good ex-player isn't automatically a good, successful coach. I also believe that Xavi is smart enough to stay away from the club until the finances stabilze.

Barcilliant

Even the barca dream team with Xavi and Ineista (Messi injured but even with him nothing would have changed) we lost 7-0 (0-4 and 0-3 at home) vs Bayern CL season 2012/13 totally dominated and annihilated by them....

It's the club culture that needs a major revamp. We have a. History of buying attacking stars for big money and the defence is just an afterthought. Strength and conditioning need to be emphasised instead of endless rondos.
Need to be open minded and look at more balanced way of playing too. Also sick of this barca DNA, la liga experience required.

Barcilliant

Yeah people forget that. That Bayern blew us away in both legs. They just have a more balanced approach to football on and off the pitch.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I cannot tell you how infuriating it is to watch Bayern thrash us at the Camp Nou, playing with a lot of the same tactical principles we used to play with while we meanwhile try and play like Bayern did back in 2009. It truly is baffling and a sign of where we are now.

I also disagree a bit with the general take here that this squad is shit and even a world-class manager would struggle right now. The honest truth is so much of why we look so bad is because we continue to start a bunch of washed up players, game in, game out and week in, week out. And I am not going to congratulate Koeman for playing the youth when a game is already over and then the risk is off. Like, you could give him credit for this if he actually was passing out our old players and if he had balls and did something like start all of these young players. But the fact that he risked Jordi Alba, who could have died due to the fact that he had fever, over Balde when he immediately came on and improved our overall play speaks volumes to me and shows really how foolish and full of shit Koeman is with this whole thank me later attitude.

Again, this isnt a world beating squad on paper but I do believe that even Lucho, let alone a Pep or Tuchel, could get this squad to a QF/Semi-final run in the CL and at least compete for the league title genuinely. We will be lucky to get out of the groups right now and I promise you our table position will not look as great come the end of October.

For me the bigger questions for me right now go way beyond whether or not Koeman should stay. If we get smacked by Real in the first clasico, he should be sacked, end of discussion. The problem obviously is what next, as a cruyffista, I obviously like Xavi long term but we are now stuck due to his contract with Al-Sadd for a year. It does seem pretty clear to me as well that Jordi Cruyff is here specifically to wait in the wings so I think honestly the first big question is if he would do any worse than Koeman? I am not going to pretend to have the answer to that question but realistically, he is the only person who will coach us if we sack Koeman before the end of the season.

With Cruyff, the criticisms and negatives are pretty clear: massive unknown, untested in Europe and seems to be riding very slightly on the coattails of his father. However, to his credit the spell he had with Tel Aviv was modestly impressive but he didnt move up and follow up with that and had some very erratic spells afterwards.

Which brings me to my second bigger question: why on earth did Laporta sack Pimienta? It is looking like a bigger mistake the more time passes with the state of the B team now. I understand politics and his need to be a showman, but it really was just unnecessary and did not really prove anything or help his image. I mention this because he would have been a better stand in on paper for me than Cruyff to work as an interim, considering how much we clearly need to develop our young players.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Jordi Roura managed those matches due to Tito sadly being on his deathbed. All those games showed is that it took a lot more than being an armchair manager to get that squad to the heights we reached then.

That was an anomaly of a season with an injury crisis baked on top of it all. Apples and oranges compared to what happened last night.

Raketa10

I don't think Top4 is in danger with Koeman as manager.
It's naturally that everything is heading towards meltdown in here after losing 0-3 to Bayern, but realistically speaking we won't face Bayern in La Liga and apart from both Madrid's (who are both weaker than Bayern) the team is good enough to finish Top4 behind them.

Koeman lacks tactical knowledge and his idea of football is outdated, but with yesterday's available squad every coach would struggle. The question we should ask isn't if we can finish top4 with Koeman, but if he is the right coach to develop our younger players for the upcoming future while staying competitive enough. If the answer is no, who can we get instead of him? No top coach in the world will touch Barca in current condition. Some younger guy that is talented but lacks experience and maybe authority? But who? Xavi gets mentioned a lot. I'm not so sure about him and recent examples of Lampard, Pirlo or Arteta show that a good ex-player isn't automatically a good, successful coach. I also believe that Xavi is smart enough to stay away from the club until the finances stabilze.

I think it's clear by now that he is not. No one can be sure if Xavi will succeed or not but considering our current situation I would bet on him. To be fair he can't be any worse than Koeman is. If we are that obsessed with 4-3-3 formation than he is basically our only solution right now. In contrast, we could opt for Conte and totally change our way of playing to 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 but I doubt that hard core Barca fans would be satisfied with that. We don't have a required quality of players right now so we shouldn't be so obsessed with possession style of football and/or 4-3-3 formation. IMHO when Dembele and Fati recover from their injuries we should forget about possession and try with faster and more direct style of play.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Conte is available but fans will curse him from beginning because he is no DNA.

People should realize that we lost our DNA few seasons ago and it's not coming back soon. Conte is a world class manager for sure but he likes to utilize 3-5-2 formation and he is well known for that. Unfortunately he would for sure have a hard time with some of our fans. Majority of fans wouldn't care that he is way better than any coach we had since Pep left.

Last edited:

vegitot

People should realize that we lost our DNA few seasons ago and it's not coming back soon. Conte likes to utilize 3-5-2 formation and he is well known for that. Unfortunately he would for sure have a hard time with some of our fans. However, he is a world class manager for sure. He is way better than any coach we had since Pep left.

Would be a new breathe if Conte is here though it won't happen. Likely Jordi Cruyff will take over.

Raketa10

Jordi Cruyff would be a final nail in the coffin of this club. If that happens we should all go and watch some other team until someone with a brain takes over from Laporta. I sincerely hope Laporta and others are not that dumb.

JamDav1982

Conte is win at all costs and not about developing players and his style does not match nor would his personality with the board.

Wouldnt fit at moment at all for where club are dont think.

If had a better squad believe should be competing with and few years left then maybe give up a few things to try an win but nowhere near that.

Personally think way it is going they are trying to force Koeman to quit but he wont and they will wait or players to come back from injury to give next coach best start to make it seems has lifted everything.

Will be someone like Cruyff as mentioned most likely as there is no real plan and probably some deluded hope once again Pep might come back if wins CL.

Home of Barca Fans