Ronald Koeman

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
"Barcelona won only 1 point in total against Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid this season.

That is the worst record since the 1964/65 season."

:koeman:

Consider this, we could have been in the running for the treble this season had we not been robbed in the Super Cup or defeated Atletico - great example of how the trophies or stats would not reveal how poor Koeman has been as we still would've lost more points than won against the toughest opposition in Spain

I think those stats quoted are quite relevant in the context of his continuity, we have looked 2nd best and at Barca that is never good enough - Ron knows this and he can try & point to not having signings last summer but it changes little from the inability to get the 1st team to play at a competitive level demanded at Barca. We saw it in moments during the season, particularly when we were behind against inferior opponents in CDR - but against the strongest? We have looked inferior

He had his chance and even with his personality, we see he cannot transmit that sort of confidence & quality onto the pitch consistently. For that, he has had ample time & resources to put out a side that may drop points but always deliver the appropriate level of intensity & competitiveness - we did not experience that with Koeman

FinBarcelonafan

Consider this, we could have been in the running for the treble this season had we not been robbed in the Super Cup or defeated Atletico - great example of how the trophies or stats would not reveal how poor Koeman has been as we still would've lost more points than won against the toughest opposition in Spain

I think those stats quoted are quite relevant in the context of his continuity, we have looked 2nd best and at Barca that is never good enough - Ron knows this and he can try & point to not having signings last summer but it changes little from the inability to get the 1st team to play at a competitive level demanded at Barca. We saw it in moments during the season, particularly when we were behind against inferior opponents in CDR - but against the strongest? We have looked inferior

He had his chance and even with his personality, we see he cannot transmit that sort of confidence & quality onto the pitch consistently. For that, he has had ample time & resources to put out a side that may drop points but always deliver the appropriate level of intensity & competitiveness - we did not experience that with Koeman

And then you add miserable games vs Juventus and PSG. It really doesn't look good.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelo...-board-uncertain-about-koemans-future-sources

There are growing doubts among the Barcelona board regarding coach Ronald Koeman's future at the club beyond the end of the season, multiple sources have confirmed to ESPN.

Later in the article if Koeman doesn't continue:

Former Barca midfielder Xavi Hernandez is among the options to replace him. He's set to sign a new two-year deal with Al Sadd in Qatar, although sources have indicated to ESPN the terms will include a clause that allows him to leave if his old club come calling.

Laporta is also looking towards the Bundesliga and the emerging school of German coaches. During the election campaign, he sounded out Ralf Rangnick as a possible sporting director and considered Julian Nagelsmann, who has since agreed to take over Bayern next season, as a possible coach.

Andresito

Staff member
Rangnick would be a total misfit at Barcelona. It'd be the same if he'd go to Bayern or Madrid. He needs full freedom to succeed.
Only person in the world I'd give that kind of freedom would be Pep. Not even Xavi should be able to run the club as he pleases until he has some results to show for it.

Birdy

Ragnick was together with Nagelsman in the same package. Nagelsman is employed at Bayern now.
Taking Ragnick only is not enough.

It's funny how the discussion about Koeman here shifted from 'Let him lead the transition, build something new' to 'Every Barca coach should win titles from season 0, and win most points against elite opponents'
The shifting goals reflect the bias against Koeman since he first got hired.

I would only replace Koeman with one of the following: Pep, Klopp, Poch, Tuchel, Nagelsman, Flick, Ten Haag
All of them are employed atm, and wouldn't want to join.
At the moment there is no other WC coach out there that can build a team playing attacking football.
And spare me the Xavi jokes, as if Xavi has any warranty that he will be successful. He wouldn't even be able to manage an improvement of the football like Koeman did in 6 months, let alone titles

Porque

I'm sure Nageslmann was of interest until Laporta realised he would cost 25m.

Christophe Galtier is reportedly leaving Lille in the Summer to join Nice. Not saying he would achieve anything here, but he is an interesting coach on the table.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-christophe-galtiers-lille/

Lyon wanted him but will seemingly get Roberto De Zerbi of Sassuolo. I think De Zerbi has been linked with Barcelona before.

Funny actually that in Serie A you have these former players managing 4 of the top clubs:-
Lazio - Simone Inzaghi
Juventus - Pirlo
Napoli - Gattuso
Roma - Fonseca

While in Spain apart from Zidane, none are around. Granted LE with the National team and Pep at City of course.

[MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION]. The shifting goals is no different than what happened with Valverde. At the beginning of the first season there was no expectation and everyone would bite the hand off of a double. But the fact we went on the LaLiga unbeaten run while performing poorly and then got humiliating by Roma led to many fans being disappointed in Valverde's season despite a double. The manner of how we relinquished our LaLiga chance is the same with Koeman. And compared with Valverde, few are holding Koeman to the sword regarding our CL exit.

Last edited:

Bobo32

I'm sure Nageslmann was of interest until Laporta realised he would cost 25m.

Christophe Galtier is reportedly leaving Lille in the Summer to join Nice. Not saying he would achieve anything here, but he is an interesting coach on the table.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-christophe-galtiers-lille/

Lyon wanted him but will seemingly get Roberto De Zerbi of Sassuolo. I think De Zerbi has been linked with Barcelona before.

Funny actually that in Serie A you have these former players managing 4 of the top clubs:-
Lazio - Simone Inzaghi
Juventus - Pirlo
Napoli - Gattuso
Roma - Fonseca

While in Spain apart from Zidane, none are around. LE with the National team and Pep at City not to be forgotten of course.

Simeone used to play as well you know :)

Very much up and down with the news at the moment. One day Koeman should stay and get the transfers he wants, the next day he is already on his way out...
If Xavi arrives everything would suddenly become very interesting. I think this summer will be very much key in getting back on track, while next summer should be about the major changing of the squad (they can keep getting rid of deadweight this summer, but find the right replacements later)

snowy

Rangnick would be a total misfit at Barcelona. It'd be the same if he'd go to Bayern or Madrid. He needs full freedom to succeed.
Only person in the world I'd give that kind of freedom would be Pep. Not even Xavi should be able to run the club as he pleases until he has some results to show for it.

Rangnick just based on his track record should be a good fit as a sporting director. Dude can run a pretty good scouting program. He's got orangutang long arms that can reach as far as Borneo. I'd give it a whirl and see if the cat licks it up

I would only replace Koeman with one of the following: Pep, Klopp, Poch, Tuchel, Nagelsman, Flick, Ten Haag

I'd add Gasperini and Bielsa to that. They play the coolest style although half the squad would be dead mid-season with Bielsa-ball

fergus90

The Granada game was the end of my faith in Koeman too. Since Pique and Roberto were back they have been thrown in instantly. A transitional season to me is when you drop what has not worked and insist of playing the new breed unless they need rest.

Unfortunately when most of the squad members are fit, the usual suspects play and the sterile football is back. If Coutinho is fit, he features most weeks under Koeman, no question. In fact he's brought up his absence a couple of times in the past.

Good job steadying the ship, way to many shortcomings too actually build on anything though.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

The Granada game was the end of my faith in Koeman too. Since Pique and Roberto were back they have been thrown in instantly. A transitional season to me is when you drop what has not worked and insist of playing the new breed unless they need rest.

Unfortunately when most of the squad members are fit, the usual suspects play and the sterile football is back. If Coutinho is fit, he features most weeks under Koeman, no question. In fact he's brought up his absence a couple of times in the past.

Good job steadying the ship, way to many shortcomings too actually build on anything though.

Good point.

Birdy

[MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION]. The shifting goals is no different than what happened with Valverde. At the beginning of the first season there was no expectation and everyone would bite the hand off of a double. But the fact we went on the LaLiga unbeaten run while performing poorly and then got humiliating by Roma led to many fans being disappointed in Valverde's season despite a double. The manner of how we relinquished our LaLiga chance is the same with Koeman. And compared with Valverde, few are holding Koeman to the sword regarding our CL exit.

Totally invalid comparison.
Valverde had many excuses in his first season, and the fact that he delivered titles despite his ugly football, was taken into account.
Valverde's 2nd season was a total disaster: football deteriorated even more, and results were getting grind ed out more difficultly. Even LaLiga would be lost if RM and Atletico were not that bad, and if Messi was not converting 0.05 xG chances that season.

Koeman is kinda of opposite case compared to EV: he improved miraculously the static and ugly football this team was playing after years of deterioration, but he will not (most likely) deliver major silverware.
Missing the chance on LaLiga is being used lately as a criterion, disregarding the fact that when rebuilding you necessarily have to forget major titles for a while, and the fact that from the beginning of the season LaLiga was never the actual goal, but something that * IF * it happens it would be a cherry on the top along the way.
Because the actual goal is rebuilding, and Koeman gets at least 8-9/10 on that front

PS: Needless to say, 2 seasons is the minimum in any club that respects the institution of the coach - unless the outcome in 1 season is terrible beyond any metric.

Last edited:

serghei

img_vmauri_20210509-205946_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_ba005m1-khoC-U493697052224i0G-572x434@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

Hilarious :lol:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Of top5 league we have got the third most goals.

Bayern: 126 goals in 47 matches, 2,68 goals per match

CIty: 117 goals in 50 matches, 2,12 goals per match

Barca: 116 in 58 matches, 2,34 goals per match

Tottenham: 118 in 58, 2

PSG: 115 in 52, 2,21

Home of Barca Fans