Wayne Rooney

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Juventus should bid for Rooney - he'll never turn down an approach from an Old Lady.

:lol:

I think his statement is a real kick in the teeth for his team mates.

exactly.

but it's bollocks, really, because this squad finished 1 point behind chelsea last season and was a wondergoal (or a carrick fuckup, however you wanna see it) away from a third consecutive CL final. the squad needs work, for sure, but nothing extraordinary.

it's all about the money.

S

Satori

:lol:

exactly.

but it's bollocks, really, because this squad finished 1 point behind chelsea last season and was a wondergoal (or a carrick fuckup, however you wanna see it) away from a third consecutive CL final. the squad needs work, for sure, but nothing extraordinary.

it's all about the money.

We'll see where United finish this season then won't we. That will prove who is right.

W

woobie

Rooney may just be smarter than I've given him credit for - if the statement he gave is actually why he wants out.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
They probably would have lost to Lyon in the semis anyway......

Whilst I agree with your point in that the current squad can compete, if you look at it more in depth then you have to ask questions. With key players retiring soon in VDS, Neville, Scholes and Giggs, Utd not only have to replace that talent but also that experience too. Ferdinand's fitness is also in question as is Hargreaves.

Whilst their spine is still very strong with the likes of Vidic, Fletcher, Berbatov, Nani and Valencia I can see Vidic being their next player wanting a move soon.

Added to the fact IMO Arsenal have - until the Glazers leave - a brighter future and City's money with Chelsea too it may look like that they will be the 4th in the top 4 now.

But as ever with fergie, you can never rule them out of any competition, but I find it increasingly hard to see them winning the league or CL anytime soon, with their current squad.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
They probably would have lost to Lyon in the semis anyway......

Whilst I agree with your point in that the current squad can compete, if you look at it more in depth then you have to ask questions. With key players retiring soon in VDS, Neville, Scholes and Giggs, Utd not only have to replace that talent but also that experience too. Ferdinand's fitness is also in question as is Hargreaves.

Whilst their spine is still very strong with the likes of Vidic, Fletcher, Berbatov, Nani and Valencia I can see Vidic being their next player wanting a move soon.

Added to the fact IMO Arsenal have - until the Glazers leave - a brighter future and City's money with Chelsea too it may look like that they will be the 4th in the top 4 now.

But as ever with fergie, you can never rule them out of any competition, but I find it increasingly hard to see them winning the league or CL anytime soon, with their current squad.

you pulled the cork off of the rum bottle, Ed. great post.

W

woobie

Well thought out. And the big problem is that they don't really have the money to buy the replacements for giggs, scholes, vandersar, et. al. The Glazer loans are crushing the club's finances.

AttackingFlair

as i have said, his attitude is terrible, he is good in the air but we don't cross it making him useless, his 'touch' 'vision' (for english standards) would get badly found out at barca, he costs too much, we already have villa and pedro and messi and iniesta who are doing just fine, he won't adapt to the spanish league...

its goes on and on

if he plays on the left he'd be wasted (runs around alot but not much else there), if he plays in the centre villa would not be at his best on the left.

You do realise that before last season, he rarely scored a header? He's very good on the floor.

Those who think he's poor technically only need to look at his debut goal at Everton against Arsenal, his first touch was sublime. His touch is poor when he's off form, but so are most players when they are playing awful.

As for his vision being poor, that just proves that some of you don't watch him enough. Ancelotti labelled him the most intelligent striker in the world, while Ronaldo was at United, Rooney was the playmaking forward who could see things other strikers couldn't and pull off cross field passes that no other striker can in the game.

He's not as good as Messi or Ronaldo, but on last seasons form, there weren't many players better than him at all. Not many could carry the United team like he did. Is it a coincidence that United are dropping more points without a fit and on form Rooney right now?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
neville hasn't been a key player since 2006, people really need to stop lumping him in with scholes and giggs.

VDS may be 40 but he's not really showing any signs of slowing down. but yeah, replacing him will be a big issue.

but yeah, they have players that will need replacing - especially LW - but there are several young players in the squad who have a good chance of improving to fit that bill and replace the oldies when they leave. and then added to that, there will be future reinforcements in the transfer window.

vidic just signed a bumper contract and is current team captain. he's not goin' anywhere.

like I said, this squad got very close last year and that was pre-hernandez and with rio being constantly injured. so rooney saying that there were no assurances over squad improvement in the summer just smacks of looking for an excuse when there isn't one. this is blatantly a money issue instigated by his agent; fifa are talking about capping what agents can earn, there was a clause in rooney's contract which pays out money to stretford if he moves after 5 years at united, and of course stretford's ban expired in july, one month before rooney decided united couldn't match his ambition.

W

woobie

But meta, how're United going to pay for reinforcements? That's the problem I see and what I think Rooney's statement is pointing at.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Neville may not be a key player, but when Rafael is your No.1 right back then sorry Neville has not been replaced.

You say there are several young players in the squad who have a good chance of improving, but looking at it objectively I'd only say Hernandez has the best chance of being a major player, the others range from average to decent to very decent. Until proven otherwise.

You say there will be future reinforcements in the squad, but unless they sell for big money they will not spend big money and for the top, top class players they cost big money nowadays. The days of fergie being the only player in the english transfer market able to attract the top class players from home and abroad is over.

Man u still have a very good team and have players to base an assault for trophies on and will build on that spine of very good players. I just think that off the pitch the shit will hit the fan over there very soon.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
But meta, how're United going to pay for reinforcements? That's the problem I see and what I think Rooney's statement is pointing at.

they spent 25-odd million last season on hernandez, smalling and bebe.

they have money to buy players. maybe not major money, but they aren't broke. I know duckie and ed like to say that they are - but duckie supports city and ed supports liverpool, so... y'know... grain of salt.

Neville may not be a key player, but when Rafael is your No.1 right back then sorry Neville has not been replaced.

rafael is superb. and he's only 20. he occasionally overcommits but he's a magnificent RB already.

You say there are several young players in the squad who have a good chance of improving, but looking at it objectively I'd only say Hernandez has the best chance of being a major player, the others range from average to decent to very decent. Until proven otherwise.

well I'd say rafael, anderson and smalling could be top-level players too. and combine that with nani, fletcher, vidic, evra who are already top-level and, bar LW, you've got a squad that's very set.

and then there's bebe, who I think could be shit-hot. but that's just my gut feeling so I wouldn't use it in a debate.

You say there will be future reinforcements in the squad, but unless they sell for big money they will not spend big money and for the top, top class players they cost big money nowadays. The days of fergie being the only player in the english transfer market able to attract the top class players from home and abroad is over.

aside from GK and LW, they don't really need to spend megabucks. and even then, they can always find bargains around. it's hard to say.

Man u still have a very good team and have players to base an assault for trophies on and will build on that spine of very good players. I just think that off the pitch the shit will hit the fan over there very soon.

we'll see.

the glazers, for all their similarity to H&G, are much more competent and shrewd. I doubt it'll get as bad as it got for liverpool. maybe it will, though, I dunno.

E

elricho

i agree, not sure about the ''man u still have a very good team'' bit, personally since the beginning of last season i think they've been a poor side, nothing more. thats is compared to what they've been used to since the mid 90's. the majority of the rooney money will not be spent id say maybe 25% ish of it will be , thats about it. personally i think their screwed billy big time. the signing of the likes of smalling proved that, their in big trouble. when vidic leaves its game over. but then again its is alex ferguson's job to make it right and he's done a great job so far, but i think he has his work cut out now, especially with man city's cash and spurs actually have a good side now add that to chelsea. the only thing thats gonna change anything will be the glazer's gettin ousted, cant see that happenin till its too late.

rafael and anderson are muck i mean garbage, do u actually watch man u matchs. not tryna be harshmate, but they are shite, not suitable for a top club.

sayin that they'll prob play well tonight against bursaspor

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans