Ilaix Moriba

Devils

This club is crazy man.

How you gonna give new contracts to Lenglet, Roberto and Ter-Stegen but sell Moriba?

My head's gone!

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I really like Laporta's blunt and no-BS approach, calling a spade a spade. He is absolutely right, this thing is not just about Ilaix, it is about standing firm and sending a message to those who might want to take advantage of the club.

Approach clubs and listen to offers, let's start a bidding war and may the highest bidder win!

fergus90

This club is crazy man.

How you gonna give new contracts to Lenglet, Roberto and Ter-Stegen but sell Moriba?

My head's gone!

Because the club already shown great faith and belief in him, by making him the highest paid youth player in La Masia history. Now you consider the talents that have been there, that was quite some trust.

Couple that with a manager trusting you and giving you first team opportunities, with many more very likely. How do you repay the clubs faith? By playing hard-ball in the the most financial unstable time in the clubs history.

Respect and faith goes both ways.

Porque

He is going to turn into a very good player. One of those Ligue1 profiles we clamour to sign from Lille in the 25-40m range.

I just wonder what the exact negotiations over the renewal are.

-Are we really looking to maintain the same wage?
-Is Ilaix actually demanding a wage increase?
-Or are we trying to short term lower his wage?

In any case it seems done now. And the loss of Ilaix is the gain of Gavi. Who seems a much easier fit.

Messigician

Laporta: "Ilaix? I ask him to reconsider and come to an agreement. I do not, by any means, understand why he doesn't recognise what we have done for him. Whoever wants to leave is free to do so. With certain conditions, of course."

Laporta: "We will try not to let Ilaix's case happen again. A player who has one year left on his contract and does not want to renew with the club's conditions is a situation we do not accept. We must act to send a message."

Let this clown rot in the stands. I would not even consider to renew him after this.

My president

serghei

Ilaix and his agent jumped the gun. At least wait to have a real breakthrough season like Pedri did this year, than maybe you have a case (although not really, but let's say for the sake of the argument). He was nowhere near as good, more of a mixed bag in the time he played.

With these cases, judge according to the player. If the player is really special in a kind of obvious way, maybe bend as in to not lose him. If not, stand firm and cut him loose. Is this someone in the same ballpark of like R9 in 1996-97 playing hardball with the next contract after toying with La Liga? Hell no. Nowhere near close to proving himself and gaining leverage.

This is another entry in the paying for "potential" series. Wages or transfers fee the strategy is the same: get yourself a pit bull-like manager to get the clubs paying before the player has to prove himself first. This way, young kids get paid a lot before even making a mark, and then get paid even more since the initial inflated contract becomes the new starting point for "the big one". You pay a lot just for the chance to see if the kid has it or not and then the player and the agent take you to the cleaners. I'm done with that shit since Dembele. Unless we're talking potential like Haaland which is concrete and obvious, and as relevant right now as much as in the future, stand firm.

Last edited:

serghei

:lol: If he was this, we'd be favorites for CL next season

Yea, but if he was even half that, we would have maybe bulged. The tactic is low class imo, and speculative, disrespectful for the club, but if you are to do it, then give better performances to remind the club what will be missing. And increase your chance to make such a move a success.

He didn't do much. Scored 1 nice goal, gifted another to the opposition, had a good shot vs Madrid in the bar, and in the last showings, he was a turnover machine. Potential yes, but the type of potential that got us into deals like Gomes, Dembele etc. If you watch some of Gomes' performances vs Madrid in the exact season before we bought him, he was great. Seems like that was perfect bait material to dupe some club into buying a "potential" player that was just riding on a purple patch, but the overall level of the player was much lower.

I'm not convinced Ilaix is not the same. The level went from higher to lower as he played through the season with his poorest matches going last, and his best at start.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Dont mind him leaving. Just leaving for free would be shitty part.

Prefer him to likes of Puig but clubs will be offering him big salary will always be tempting and particularly when wont be a starter at Barca either.

With Gavi and Nico there as younger players no great loss going by what they have shown.

Redbuck

Dont mind him leaving. Just leaving for free would be shitty part.

Prefer him to likes of Puig but clubs will be offering him big salary will always be tempting and particularly when wont be a starter at Barca either.

With Gavi and Nico there as younger players no great loss going by what they have shown.

This. I am sure that there are much better players with higher potential coming up at La Masia. A single player does not make up La Masia and the exit of Ilaix is not the end of the world.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
How good he may or may not become is irrelevant. Laporta counting on the cantera and that means ensuring they do not attempt to hold the club over a barrel for unreasonable wages - yet another gift from Bartomeu

From the start of the negotiations my sentiment has not changed, we should sell - he is not a Barca player

Home of Barca Fans