Nico Gonzalez

behindbrowneyes

I could be wrong but it seems Koeman is trying him in the Ilaix role. I'm not convinced that is the right move for Nico.

Don't think so. Koeman sees him as replacement for Busquets. CM was just Nico's usual position in Juvenil. He only became a DM last year, as both Oriol Busquets and Orella were injured. A change of position that proved to be right, as he found his best form playing there. That doesn't mean that Koeman won't use him as CM every now and then besides Busquets, especially when he feels he needs some muscles in mid against physical opponents.
His future lies definitely in Busquets' role. We'll see if he can be his successor.

ajnotkeith

One of those players where for me something is missing, something important

He has great size especially considering how good his technique is, but he never uses it. He had one of the lowest percentages of headers won across his whole position in Segunda B last season, and is also reluctant to get stuck in and make tackles

Good passing but is strikingly absent in the attack. He doesn't really get forward at all or put balls into dangerous positions. I know he is a pivot but he doesn't do much other than circulate the ball around his direct area. As I said above I think he needs to put it all together, he has the tools but something big is missing

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Sent back down to Barca B for this season.

He is not sent back. The plan has always been to register him for Barca B this season but play occasional games for the first team.

Nico Gonz?lez will play with Bar?a B in Tarragona next Sunday. While the first team has got four days rest, Koeman prefers the young players like him to play for the B team. [md]

Porque

Smooth move by K-Dawg. I don't think Nico has adapted to first team life as quickly as expected. So good to get some minutes and rhythm with the B team this weekend.

Bobo32

Smooth move by K-Dawg. I don't think Nico has adapted to first team life as quickly as expected. So good to get some minutes and rhythm with the B team this weekend.

It's a nonbrainer?
He should play games, and in Barcelona A he seems to be above Puig and Pjanic in Koemans order, but he is behind Frenkie, Pedri, Sergi, Sergi and Gavi. Being sixth in line makes it tough to get very much playing time when everybody's fit, and it's easy to be called in when needed?

What are the limits for when you must register for A/cannot play for B?

ajnotkeith

He is not sent back. The plan has always been to register him for Barca B this season but play occasional games for the first team.

Nico Gonz?lez will play with Bar?a B in Tarragona next Sunday. While the first team has got four days rest, Koeman prefers the young players like him to play for the B team. [md]

Gavi is riding with the first-team even during this four days rest and Nico is playing with B this weekend. Nico will probably star in B this season.

Joan

Gavi is riding with the first-team even during this four days rest and Nico is playing with B this weekend. Nico will probably star in B this season.

Nico 'competes' with Busquets and maybe Roberto. With Roberto likely to play as a RB too, I can see Nico getting decent minutes.

Especially as a late Busquets sub.

ajnotkeith

Overall Nico seems a bit too bulky to me and ungraceful for a technical pivot, he had this issue earlier with his first games in B and in Juvenil where he was in bad shape/too heavy. My problem is despite being big he doesn't win any headers and is slow so just appears off the pace when defending against counters/longball. In both of his sub appearances in LaLiga he had to make a foul to stop himself being bypassed and one led to a goal against Sociedad though it was borderline.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Overall Nico seems a bit too bulky to me and ungraceful for a technical pivot, he had this issue earlier with his first games in B and in Juvenil where he was in bad shape/too heavy. My problem is despite being big he doesn't win any headers and is slow so just appears off the pace when defending against counters/longball. In both of his sub appearances in LaLiga he had to make a foul to stop himself being bypassed and one led to a goal against Sociedad though it was borderline.

There is not enough sample material for Nico in the first team to confidently claim all this. Let's wait until he gets a start, at least.

ajnotkeith

There is not enough sample material for Nico in the first team to confidently claim all this. Let's wait until he gets a start, at least.

Well in Segunda B last year the same issues were there, less so because of the worse opposition, but they were there. I just think it is no use to be so heavy if it slows you down and you aren't an aerial presence/don't use your body well.

Home of Barca Fans