Saul Niguez

khaled_a_d

Saul was once considered one of Atletico top performers, who surpassed Koke as their best midfielder.
He had a bad season, but even then he was more or less a starter who served whatever role the manager asked from him.

I don't see the comparison with Pjanic or Arda tbh. I think of him more of Keita type of signing, except more expensive on paper

JamDav1982

Not far from that. Surely not their first choice. Especially not after de Paul arrives.

Started over two thirds of league games and came on in almost all the others while was starting almost evry CL game could.

That is not a bench warmer.

vegitot

Difference is, Koeman actually wants Saul and thinks he fits the type of midfielder he wants to add.
OTOH, Pjanic came before Koeman is hired.
That alone makes world of difference.

Yeah. People seem to forget Pjanic deal happened before Koeman. This time it happens with Koeman's agreement. He wanst another midfielder.

vuji_31

I like this transfer just because we lack some midfielder, and Griezmann is gone with his 42mil per season.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Difference is, Koeman actually wants Saul and thinks he fits the type of midfielder he wants to add.
OTOH, Pjanic came before Koeman is hired.
That alone makes world of difference.

What's the source on this ? To me it looks like Barca had 0 leverage in this deal (understandable) and Atletico wanted to get rid of Saul anyway. Imo I don't think Koeman had much say in this deal.

vegitot

What's the source on this ? To me it looks like Barca had 0 leverage in this deal (understandable) and Atletico wanted to get rid of Saul anyway. Imo I don't think Koeman had much say in this deal.

Pretty sure Koeman knows about this swap and agrees with it.

khaled_a_d

There were many reports before that he approved the deal and thinks.
Quick google:

Ronald Koeman and Diego Simeone have given the thumbs up to a possible swap involving Antoine Griezmann and Saul Niguez, Mundo Deportivo's reliable Javi Gomara and Fernando Polo say.

The Barcelona coach wants a box-to-box midfielder and Saul perfectly meets the profile, it's claimed.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Think Koeman is just hell bent on wanting a box-to-box midfielder like Wijnaldum which is why they might have requested Saul as a part of this deal instead of some other player.

Joan

Started over two thirds of league games and came on in almost all the others while was starting almost evry CL game could.

That is not a bench warmer.

Was a hyperbole. But as I said, not far from it. He's not the first pick at Atletico and wouldn't be this season either. We're giving them one of our best players, like him or hate him.

Home of Barca Fans