Zubizarreta sacked!

BarcaBarcaBarca

I don't exactly feel sorry for Zubi, but this move in its nature is just Bartomeu trying to make a statement and sort of lay the blame soulely on Zubi, which is unfair. A move we all agreed needed to happen, but does not change anything.

Neymessi

The best move there could be to stay in contention for the next elections.Anyway him gone is the most satisfying news I have got since a long time.Phew.Zubi is finally out.Still can't believe it.1 down 2 to go.

khaled_a_d

I think Puyol is going to take over ,may be as interim and try to get Monchi in summer or until the elections
Would like it if Puyol passed on that chance,don't make Zubi's mistake Puyol
Won't be surprised If Lucho doesn't complete the season now , A win against one of Madrid sides in CDR 1/4 final could keep him longer .or get him the axe .
Think January will be important for him ,the board now will try to do whatever it takes to resist early election

spark

It wont change anything at this stage but at least I won't have to see his face anymore. Even watching youtube training videos annoyed me whenever his face would pop up. Good riddance . His rare ability to say all the wrong things won't be missed.

F

Flavia

Zubi axed
Comment: Zubizarreta did a bad job. Bartomeu's doing a worse one
Lluís Mascaró lets us know the mechanics of Bartomeu's decision to sack Andoni Zubizarreta

Lluís Mascaró | 5.1.2015 | 17:15h.

Bartomeu has got rid of his last shield. Now the president fate lies in the hands of the coach and the team. The agonising sacking will actually do very little. It's a gesture, playing to the galleries, because the problems remain. We all know that Zubi is not the only guilty one for the bedlam that has happened in the last four years in Barcelona. Bartomeu is focused on the anticipated elections that could even be announced during the full board meeting that has been announced for Wednesday evening.

Zubizarreta has not been a good sporting director. We have never tired of criticising his lack of a firm project, his transfer errors and his abysmal planning. But the buck does not stop with him. The president who signed him, Sandro Rosell, and the president who sacked him, Bartomeu, are just as, if not more, culpable than Zubizarreta, who has been characterised as a rogue who knows nothing about football. It's not as bad as that. He has done a bad job, a very bad job, but his bosses have done a worse one.

Zubizarreta's declarations after the debacle in Anoeta have been the excuse to expediate his sacking. Bartomeu had already made it very clear that he was planning to cut the cord. First he got rid of the director general, Antoni Rossich and now it's the turn of the sporting director. The executive board Rosell built has been blown to smithereens, with one objective: save face and avoid the anticipated elections. This strategy is going to help to calm the atmosphere at a troubled Barcelona.

And Luis Enrique should be careful too. Another slip up on Sunday at the Camp Nou against Atletico could become the tombstone of the Asturian coach, who has been entangled in an absurd ego war with the mighty Messi. A battle which the coach cannot win. Only the results can save him. Just like the president. But before Bartomeu falls, Luis Enrique will fall.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
although it might be hard to remove the new director when the new board comes in if he is high profile like puyol. i want an actual sports director with experience.

Home of Barca Fans