Zinedine Zidane

Horatio

You're welcome
Think he was p. good at man management though. A hard man, who takes no nonsense from bunch of divas in squad. Pep needed for clever tactics though.
I always thought man magament meant something different. Where you approach players differently based on needs and personality.

Gnidrologist

Not sure, if that snowflake management works though. Maybe on some players. Barcas biggest problem usually is weak mentality, proness to become emotionally distracted or depressed, when things don't go their way. Need strong father figure, a "daddy" to keep these bunch of fairies in tact. Most of our coaches have been soft and that softness imprints on the team. Think Xavi is in the same mold as we can see how emotional and unstable he gets on the sidelines. Not a proper role model for strong squad.

Birdy

Respect him for that.

Football is filled with people who overestimate their own ability and take on big jobs only to fail miserably.

Zidane is self aware and knows that he can only coach a very specific kind of team. That's a positive. He's too smart to take on a tricky job and ruin his reputation. Was never an elite manager.

Well, not really...

It's fine to say I ll never coach Barcelona, PSG, or Milan/Inter because of my past

But it's highly pathological for any coach who aspires or wants to be part of the elite of football to refuse to take on jobs/projects and show his value because of cowardness,
and then mask that as ideology

No, it's not ideology, and the proof for it is he will never coach Marseille unless a new Seikh with obsene amount of oil money takes it over

Look at what proper coaches do: they are not afraid to take on projects that are even far away from their roots/ideology/style.

Horatio

You're welcome
Well, not really...

It's fine to say I ll never coach Barcelona, PSG, or Milan/Inter because of my past

But it's highly pathological for any coach who aspires or wants to be part of the elite of football to refuse to take on jobs/projects and show his value because of cowardness,

No, it's not ideology, and the proof for it is he will never coach Marseille unless a new Seikh with obsene amount of oil money takes it over

Look at what proper coaches do: they are not afraid to take on projects that are even far away from their roots/ideology/style.
Exactly. Been saying it since dawn of football the man is HIDING.

NKMaribor

Well, not really...

A guy with zero fuck character who played the biggest matches in the world both as a player and a manager, did the impossible being described as a coward, and not elite. Fascinating.

What awaits after Madrid? What motivation? What club? Which elite coach would take subpar job? Give me example. Has Pep done that? Bayern after Heyneckess, and Oil club with fantastic foundation already made. It does not get any easier than that.

He wants to coach French NT, while at club level there is nothing interesting at this point with exception of Madrid and Mbappe.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I have to admit the way how he let Real play in 16/17 was top class, to judge him completely he needs to go to another club (not France).

but this bald guy hiding

Horatio

You're welcome
He knows his limit. Can't blame him for that.
Owh no, that part is great about him. Issue is more he’s being a bit dishonest about it, or at least his pr team. Could just say he is taking courses or something preparing himself for next job. Rather wants to keep up the idea of him being a high in demand coach that has plenty of options of his choosing. Don’t think as many clubs are in for him as his pr team wants to let on.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not sure, if that snowflake management works though. Maybe on some players. Barcas biggest problem usually is weak mentality, proness to become emotionally distracted or depressed, when things don't go their way. Need strong father figure, a "daddy" to keep these bunch of fairies in tact. Most of our coaches have been soft and that softness imprints on the team. Think Xavi is in the same mold as we can see how emotional and unstable he gets on the sidelines. Not a proper role model for strong squad.

His man management almost had him fired though if not for Xavi stepping in and cooling it down after he tried those bozo tactics with Messi.
In general though you would like your manager to have authority, but while I suppose the goal is to treat everyone fairly you almost need to deal with different personalities and players differently.
Something it seems like Pep learned throughout the years himself. Some players need a kick up their ass, others need support in a different way.

I guess it might just be Lucho trying shit out though. He tried the same with Totti at Roma which almost backfired on him there too before he also there took a step back and ended up having a decent relationship with him.

malvolio

Lucho is no better than Valverde. Actually I rate Valverde higher than him.

Got lucky to have the best attack in history and won it all. Tried to act the hard man and nearly got fired. Sure, the forum loves this narrative that managers need to whip the lazy stars to show them who's boss. It never works like that.

Birdy

A guy with zero fuck character who played the biggest matches in the world both as a player and a manager, did the impossible being described as a coward, and not elite. Fascinating.

What awaits after Madrid? What motivation? What club? Which elite coach would take subpar job? Give me example. Has Pep done that? Bayern after Heyneckess, and Oil club with fantastic foundation already made. It does not get any easier than that.

He wants to coach French NT, while at club level there is nothing interesting at this point with exception of Madrid and Mbappe.

LOL :lol: Apologist show becoming more and more cringe

According to this logic, Pep after the best Barca team and generation of all times, should have stayed at home for ever, because 'what motivation' right? Subpar jobs all of them compared to the Barca job.
Personal reasons as well. Ancelotti would have left the job after Milan, etc. Tons of examples...
Now, if this narrative was even 1% true, all great coaches would have quitted the job relatively young

It's obvious that what drives coaches is the challenge-> new club, new league, new culture, desire to prove yourself at another environment, to put more trophies in your resume, to leave a legacy ETC ETC
Think about Zidane in particular: so many people, including me, think he is a fraud and rode huge amount of luck/black magic to win those CLs. Why doesn't he want to prove people wrong about it?
When he left RM the 1st time, he was among the hottest names in Europe for the vacant jobs at top teams.
Now, you rarely see his name mentioned or rumoured for those jobs. He has himself belittled his fame so much by just preferring to sit at his home for 3 years, rather than take the minimal necessary risk of being exposed at the highest level.
Like a true coward indeed!

'I would only take X job' is a line you would only hear from entitled pricks like Xavi and Zidane, who think that somehow the world owes them privileges and they don't have to prove themselves like normal people have to

PS: Obviously, what he did as a player has nothing to do with his attitude as a coach

Home of Barca Fans