Xherdan Shaqiri

Butaan4barca

Excuse me. The guy is an Inter reject.
And you might argue that Inter these days is not even better than Stoke.
So Stoke signed a benchwarmer of an inferior team to use him in their own starter squad and they paid 17m for that.
Thats like Sevilla paying 15m for a Malaga reject.
How is that good business? Affelay, Bojan, Shaqiri, Glen Johnson, Van Ginkel, Joselu.
Those are all names of players who all failed to develope, this is why Stoke was able to sign them in the first place.

Huge huge signing for stoke. Easily could be their best ever. Make no mistake, few months ago liverpool were crazy about him. Even last season he was wanted by them when he joined inter instead.

He would've walked into liverpool's first team and would have made a great difference.

I don't know how they managed to pull this through, it always looked to me as foolish unrealistic transfer rumor. But oh boy this is incredible for them

Yannik

yea, what does it say exactly? because you apparently know more than several sports directors, maybe you can teach them

These sport directors signed Joselu from us for 10million EUR.
I really think i do know more than Stokes Sport director. And Guardiola, Mancini and co. do probably also know more.

El Gato

Villarato!
Dude was clearly not having fun in that squad. Same way Di Maria is a United reject and struggled. Doesn't really mean either of them are any bad.

Plus Stoke signing a bunch of these rejects is huge for them. I'm still amazed how well run they must be to attract these players to this absolute shithole of a place. Kinda glad they're pushing for Europa League at least. With their defensive identity at home they now really have a shot at improving. And the stadium is a few miles away from me. Good stuff!

khaled_a_d

Honestly ,I think he is really overrated
He is kind of a fun player to watch but he isn't a big club material IMO .good signing for a club like Stoke though

Alarcón

These sport directors signed Joselu from us for 10million EUR.
I really think i do know more than Stokes Sport director. And Guardiola, Mancini and co. do probably also know more.

If Guardiola knows so much then Ibrahimovic, Eto'o, Touré are bad players too right? And don't get me started on Mancini... guy has been clueless for years on end, he pushed very hard for the Shaqiri signing in January and then didn't play him, fantastic knowledge

Chong Li

Another step backwards and I fear he will fail again.

It's a shame really, Shaqiri used to be such an fun and explosive player at Basel and in his first year at Bayern, but all the joy and excitement in his game has disappeared ever since Pep took over, and it only got worse at Inter.

I also doubt his diving antics will be recieved well in England.

Maybe he should hire a real agent instead of his greedy brother, to find him a proper club.

Alarcón

I don't think his brother is greedy, he's just not a good enough agent. They rejected top clubs and top money offers for a long time before joining Bayern.

Yannik

If Guardiola knows so much then Ibrahimovic, Eto'o, Touré are bad players too right?

The guy sold players at some points in his career who were still good later. Big deal. Shaqiri just isnt Ibra, Eto'o or Touré.
I have seen Shaqiri, I do watch basically every Bayern-game and the guy's most memorable performances in the past 3 years were basically against Hamburg, Freiburg, Honduras (NT) and Jahn Regensburg. Also an absolute Audi-Cup legend.
The guy got sold, even in a time where Bayern actually NEEDED wingers because Robben, Ribery were out (and old) and Götze isnt that good.
But Shaqiri however was never even close to be a proper replacement, which is why Mitchell Weiser got the job instead of him.
He then got sold for 15m to Inter, while I already knew what was coming people were talking about the steal of the century, Inter-fans were so hyped about a Shaqiri-Podolski link, that will solve all their offensive problems
:messi:

And what happened? Little statistics here:
15m for 3goals, 2 assists and 6 yellow cards in 20 matches. 20 matches, Inter won 3 of them and played absolute pisspoor.
Between those he got benched in 6 matches. Inter won all of them in an impressive offensive inferno. Even a blind guy could see that Shaqiri was dragging them down.

And now english media is pumped for a legendary Affellay-Bojan-Shaqiri link, and I'm sitting here wondering if this is still 2008.

Last edited:

Alarcón

I'm sorry but there is no point in discussing anything with someone like you who keeps twisting the facts like that. First of all, he played 15 games and not 20. Second, I am looking at the stats now and 4 of those 6 games you mentioned were against teams who were 13th on the table, or worse. Maybe that's why they played well, ever thought about that? Not to mention that Shaqiri came on late in the game more often than not. Let's leave aside the obvious fact that someone can only contribute very little in 10 or 20 minutes - no wonder they win games without him; they don't need to sub offensive players on when they're in front, do they?

You should think about cause and effect here instead of randomly throwing stats around and feeling smart. And watching "basically every Bayern game" does not entitle you to the sole truth. We will see what happens with him but it's only logical the "I-told-you-so" football experts are out now that a player has had a rough couple of months.

Yannik

First of all, he played 15 games and not 20.
15 Serie A + 2 Copa Italia + 3 Europea League = 20

Let's leave aside the obvious fact that someone can only contribute very little in 10 or 20 minutes
In total he played 1177 minutes, subs + starters summarized, that is all together enough time to make a statement and yet he had only so little impact in whatever role he was.
Hence why he was only a sub in the first place. Had he been good, why wasnt he a starter? There wasnt much competition going on at Inter, was it?
I think that the tally of Bayern games I watched DOES entitle me to having such an opinion about him, after all I have had first hand experience. I do throw with stats, because posting whole matches of him here would be too much. I expect from anyone on the internet, that hes able to google repetitions of whole matches if he wants to see that. That way he can actually get an idea of what Shaqiri actually is like.

Last edited:

Butaan4barca

you have got to give credit to mark huges for puttin this team together. AFlley and shaqiri are real steels. He did a descent job in building the manchester city back then too.

Home of Barca Fans