World's best midfielder

Who is the world's best midfielder(after X&I)

• Total voters

Trequartista

The good
Xavi is number 1, Iniesta is not number 2. Little difficult to rank them after Xavi. On this seasons form alone Ozil has been comfortably the best of the bunch mind. (I voted Lampard for pure biasness too) ;-)

well if you want to talk about this season then yes Iniesta is not number 2 because he is number one with Noone even close,he improved his game and becoming more complete and he is probably having his best season with Barcelona,he has been even superior to Xavi himself so far in my opinion,only one or 2 ordinary/average games in the whole season
Ozil has been excellent this season but he is still far from being world's best,maybe after the Barca duo he is the best this season

Yeah Nasri, Walcott and RvP is really ordinary. And our shit back 4 have conceded 3 less goals than Uniteds.

@Jesse no I don't think Parker is world class or anything near it, just think he's had a great season and mentioned him as one of the standouts.

yeah Parker is very good,I just want West ham to relegate to see a big team picking him,capello shall use him more

Last edited:
C

Carefree

well if you want to talk about this season then yes Iniesta is not number 2 because he is number one with Noone even close,he improved his game and becoming more complete and he is probably having his best season with Barcelona,he has been even superior to Xavi himself so far in my opinion,only one or 2 ordinary/average games in the whole season
Ozil has been excellent this season but he is still far from being world's best,maybe after the Barca duo he is the best this season

For starters, Xavi's had alot more than just '1 or 2 average games' this season, he's been very ordinary all season, and anyone who denies that is either an absolute hypocrite or has very short memory. Search the forum in the match day threads if you don't believe me. Messi's once again been Barcelona's saviour this season, and as you say, even Iniesta has been better.

Speaking of which, Ozil's been miles better than the both of them. In fact, the only player who has made a bigger impact than him in La Liga has been Lionel Messi. Ronaldo may have 30+ goals but Ozil's pretty much masterminded every single Real Madrid attack. Him and di Maria are the reason Ronnie's hit so many goals, Iniesta's had his best season statistically, but not as good as Ozil, though I do think Iniesta is the better player.

On topic, and minus form, Xavi is comfortably the best central midfielder in Europe, but there is no clear cut second after him. Barca fans can say it's Iniesta all they like, which is fair as he's a very good player, but the gap isn't anywhere near as big as some of the biased Barcelona fans in here seem to think. Fabregas would be my second, despite his piss poor display at the Nou Camp recently.

Bergkamp10

Walcott is ordinary let's face it but I agree with you on everything else.

Don't wanna get into a debate about it cos this isn't the thread to but he's been excellent this season and our attack relies heavily on him. 11 goals and 8 assists in 29 games this season. His overall play has improved to, people forget he's only 21.

On the midfielder debate, outside of Xavi and Iniesta, Cesc is the best. The amount of goals and assists he contributes is incredible.

Xavi_78

For starters, Xavi's had alot more than just '1 or 2 average games' this season, he's been very ordinary all season, and anyone who denies that is either an absolute hypocrite or has very short memory. Search the forum in the match day threads if you don't believe me. Messi's once again been Barcelona's saviour this season, and as you say, even Iniesta has been better.

Speaking of which, Ozil's been miles better than the both of them. In fact, the only player who has made a bigger impact than him in La Liga has been Lionel Messi. Ronaldo may have 30+ goals but Ozil's pretty much masterminded every single Real Madrid attack. Him and di Maria are the reason Ronnie's hit so many goals, Iniesta's had his best season statistically, but not as good as Ozil, though I do think Iniesta is the better player.

On topic, and minus form, Xavi is comfortably the best central midfielder in Europe, but there is no clear cut second after him. Barca fans can say it's Iniesta all they like, which is fair as he's a very good player, but the gap isn't anywhere near as big as some of the biased Barcelona fans in here seem to think. Fabregas would be my second, despite his piss poor display at the Nou Camp recently.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. We had two games this year where we could compare Özil to XavIniesta: the semifinal of the WC and the classico. And in both matches he was nowhere to be seen. Better than XavIniesta even I, and I am a german myself, must they: what dope did you smoke? Özil is a nice whether player: he will shine if everything is alright, but if it gets tough and the opponent is not just rolling over than he will hardly take the game buy its scruff and decide anything.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Xavi has bossed every big game this season, although I'd say Iniesta is having the better overall season. Remember Xavi has carried an achilles injury for large parts of 10/11 as well. Absolute bollocks further above.

B

barcelona6

Oh yeah forgot about him. He's had a great season but Wilshere's performances against Barcelona, United in the FA Cup and Chelsea just edge it for me. But I am very biased.

Van der Vaart's been good too but I wouldn't call him a central midfielder. Scott Parker's had an incredible season aswell.

Watched Wilshere against United,was pretty average.Just coz he got motm vs barca in the first leg doesn't mean hes been better than Modric this season.Wilshere can only dream of having his passing ability.

B

barcelona6

dramaticalpaca.gif

BerkeleyBernie

He's hardly been "ordinary"; however, there are two developments that have changed his role on the team to make Xavi less of an assist player this season: the increased number of parked buses, and the playmaking of the forward players with the arrival of Villa and the rise of Pedro. You can't slip exquisite 20 yard slide rule passes when you've got eight players parked in front of the box. Instead, Xavi is generally working the ball from deeper, moving the play from side to side, but letting the attacking midfielders work it through the tight defenses. Messi usually works the play in from the right, and Iniesta from the left, with Alves, Pedro, and Villa being their close quarter tiki-taka cohorts. It's not that Xavi has been ordinary, it's that the opposition this year requires him to play a deeper role tactically.

Elite-BkD

Xavi is number 1, Iniesta is not number 2. Little difficult to rank them after Xavi. On this seasons form alone Ozil has been comfortably the best of the bunch mind. (I voted Lampard for pure biasness too) ;-)

Iniesta has been better than Xavi for years actually. Then again you apparently think Ozil's been better than the Don this season..?

Yeah Nasri, Walcott and RvP is really ordinary. And our shit back 4 have conceded 3 less goals than Uniteds.

@Jesse no I don't think Parker is world class or anything near it, just think he's had a great season and mentioned him as one of the standouts.

The term was 'more ordinary' as in closer to it than the front line of a team should be if they're to be held in such high regard. Nasri is brilliant, Walcott is shit stupid and the three of them as part of a unit are not good enough to consistently threaten top class opposition.
Edit: And yeah, harsh on the back line as they do seem loads better this year but I still can't stand Clichy/Sanga. Again, never getting the job done regularly against elite opposition.

Home of Barca Fans