Why is football boring to watch now?

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Football used to be a working class game for men to go to to get their aggression out after doing a hard week's work. Nowadays, you switch the TV on and are met with female pundits telling you about the game whilst realising that you yourself are actually a better footballer than the female pundit you are listening to.

The game starts and the atmospheres are terrible at all the big clubs because the grounds are full of tourists. When a goal is scored there are a few stadiums in Europe where a big proportion of the fans dont even celebrate because they are too busy trying to catch the moment on their mobile phone.

Gone are intimidating stadiums and hostile atmospheres bursting with testosterone. Now you will even hear mild chants like, Madridistas hijos de puta, being drowned out by whistles from the woke, permanently offended mob.

It's why the games I enjoy the most are the Glasgow derbies and Feyenoord Vs Ajax because they have managed to maintain some of that old school atmosphere.

The quality is the worst it's ever been, with no superstars, but that's only a small part of why it is boring. The whole footballing 'experience' now is just a tedious, woke, farce.

Messigician

Football used to be a working class game for men to go to to get their aggression out after doing a hard week's work. Nowadays, you switch the TV on and are met with female pundits telling you about the game whilst realising that you yourself are actually a better footballer than the female pundit you are listening to.

The game starts and the atmospheres are terrible at all the big clubs because the grounds are full of tourists. When a goal is scored there are a few stadiums in Europe where a big proportion of the fans dont even celebrate because they are too busy trying to catch the moment on their mobile phone.

Gone are intimidating stadiums and hostile atmospheres bursting with testosterone. Now you will even hear mild chants like, Madridistas hijos de puta, being drowned out by whistles from the woke, permanently offended mob.

It's why the games I enjoy the most are the Glasgow derbies and Feyenoord Vs Ajax because they have managed to maintain some of that old school atmosphere.

The quality is the worst it's ever been, with no superstars, but that's only a small part of why it is boring. The whole footballing 'experience' now is just a tedious, woke, farce.

this also plays a big part for sure

BJJ

I've been pondering this for sometime now. I agree with all the replies.
The quality of individual players has gone down drastically. Can you really compare players like Haaland and Mbappe to guys like R9, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Romario, Ibra etc????
The latter had magic in their boots. They could always produce a moment where your jaw would just drop. I still remember that time when Ronnie scored that goal against Chelsea in CL when he made time stand still and suddenly the ball was in the back of the net. Nowadays players may be better athletes and tactics may be better too but it's stifling the special players. Look at Brazil. Last magical player to come from there was Neymar.
I believe Pep and Klopp are to blame in a way too. Both are control freaks who want constant pressing and positional discipline and that leaves the classic number ten redundant essentially. Before if you had a great player he had license to roam . Nowadays everyone is expected to run and press. Before a Maradona and Romario type could be invisible for eighty nine minutes and than produce a minute of magic to win the game. Nowadays that won't stand with the coach and fans.
As someone mentioned kids nowadays don't go out and play like before. The skills are lacking.

Messi983

Female pundits have nothing to do with quality of football. Most of them are also actually better doing their jobs than idiots like Gary Neville.

Rassvet

The oil clubs deserve their blame.

A lot of their top players over the years would have otherwise gone to Madrid/Barca (some going to other top PL teams as well) which has made El Clasico and La Liga second rate stuff the past few years relative to past editions.

Also ruined what EPL could have been post Fergie with 4-5 more evenly matched proper clubs dueling it out rather than City cheating their way to a hollow title almost every year.

Last edited:

Temptation

The oil clubs deserve their blame.

A lot of their top players over the years would have otherwise gone to Madrid/Barca (some going to other top PL teams as well) which has made El Clasico and La Liga second rate stuff the past few years relative to past editions.

Also ruined what EPL could have been post Fergie with 4-5 more evenly matches proper clubs dueling it out rather than City cheating their way to a hollow title almost every year.

If these sportwashing cunts weren't allowed to win titles despite having 150+ FFP breaches, we'd have like 3 PL titles more.

Disgusting financially doped scumbags.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I've been pondering this for sometime now. I agree with all the replies.
The quality of individual players has gone down drastically. Can you really compare players like Haaland and Mbappe to guys like R9, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Romario, Ibra etc????
The latter had magic in their boots. They could always produce a moment where your jaw would just drop. I still remember that time when Ronnie scored that goal against Chelsea in CL when he made time stand still and suddenly the ball was in the back of the net. Nowadays players may be better athletes and tactics may be better too but it's stifling the special players. Look at Brazil. Last magical player to come from there was Neymar.
I believe Pep and Klopp are to blame in a way too. Both are control freaks who want constant pressing and positional discipline and that leaves the classic number ten redundant essentially. Before if you had a great player he had license to roam . Nowadays everyone is expected to run and press. Before a Maradona and Romario type could be invisible for eighty nine minutes and than produce a minute of magic to win the game. Nowadays that won't stand with the coach and fans.
As someone mentioned kids nowadays don't go out and play like before. The skills are lacking.

Imo Mbappe is a special player but yeah otherwise i dont see the magic which had the late 90 and early 2000 players

jamrock

Was just thinking, it we were to put the very best version of every team playing today or over the last 2/3 seasons vs the best version of those same teams in the early to mid 00's.

Who wins?

So Barcelona, city, Bayern, Liverpool, arsenal, Sevilla, you name it.

I think the only team that would win, is man city for obvious reasons and maybe Liverpool.

But that Liverpool game would be one hell of a game, probably the one I would most want to see, CL winning Liverpool vs prem winning team, would be a game for the ages.

Let's contact Disney/marvel and make that happen.

Barcelona, Bayern, arsenal, Sevilla, man utd, real Madrid, the very best version of those teams over the last couple of seasons are all getting cooked rather easily.

JamDav1982

Modern teams are better overall if had time machine.

Tactically far ahead and players taking on far more disciplined roles that coaches desire to win.

Even Man Utd led by Fergie that Barca beat were less tactcal than the worst teams in EPL and La Liga today. It is night and day.

But teams can only be rated on all time lists by what they faces and Peps Barca the best of lot.

Go watch Barca hammering Real in 2009.. it is like a different game.

jamrock

I'd go so far as to say the very best version of today's team vs the 3rd best version of those teams it's still a close contest.

Except city and Liverpool.

JamDav1982

Not even making sense but football is always progressing.

Some folk can see it and think better in past when less tactical and more individuality but it is.

Simple.

Higher standard of game now than ever before.

Home of Barca Fans