Why are you a Barcelona fan?

slvtn

I haven't had any bigger interest in football until I watched that 5:0 win against Real back in the 2010 Clásico. The whole technique and the unique style of football they played was very entertaining and I tried to watch as many matches as possible since then. Fortunately we have a web broadcaster that has bought the rights of La Liga and the Copa, so we can stream every game.
Once I have a full time job and leave Uni, I wanna go and see them live also. Must be great to visit Camp Nou.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Like many other members I really didn't give a rat's ass about football for many years. Sure I knew about Laudrup and the Dream Team era. We danish people have a weird tradition of taking pride in any achievement where a dane was involved (or half-dane... or even anyone of danish descent) be it Metallica (Lars Ulrich), Dream Team (Laudrup) or Scarlett Johansson's boobs (her dad for supplying the sperm).

It's the same here... Small countries, viking heritage and all that ;)

Mark Wahlberg, Emma Stone :)wub:) etc

But Scarlet has a Swedish surname, rite?

Last edited:

Scumbag Champion

Ten years ago, my friend who is a Liverpool season ticket holder. got me a ticket to go to watch them play Barca. That was in the days of, De Boer, Petit, Rivaldo etc.

Within 10 minutes I'd fallen in love, and was staring at these beautiful players, playing beautiful football in utter and total awe. I'll never forget it, nor will I forget the majestic noise the Barca fans made. After that, there was no going back.

Now, twice a week, I walk three miles into town to the nearest sports bar, and three miles home just to watch them play.

Lunisa

just simple, because Barca focus on "how to make a star from la masia?", not to buy a star from the others

sukhy

The mystique of the club, that whole aura about Barca, first saw them when I was about 7 or 8 when United were playing them in 98/99 season and those two 3-3 games were phenomenal, I remember watching them and just thinking "WOW" but the build up to those games was crazy, they really got you excited, so much talk about the amazing players on show and how Barca and United have had classic clashes in the past and endless clips of Bryan Robson, Romario, Lee Sharpe, Mark Hughes and Stoichkov amd the goals they scored past each other. Just amazing.

And then after those games I followed Barca, got my first Barca shirt in 2002, still remember the day when Barca went to Anfield and tore through Liverpool and kept the ball for absolutely ages and just thinking "How come no other teams play like this?!"

I kept following Barca after that, watched them whenever I could, kept up with all the news stories and it really peaked my interest.

Then when I finally got Sky Sports in my house again, it was all about Ronaldinho and Eto'o ripping teams to shreds in 2005/06 every single weekend. Then Messi burst onto the scene and Xavi and Iniesta came to the fore and Pep took over and the treble season happened and I was just amazed, pretty sure there has been a period in my life when I watched every single Barca game for 3-4 years without missing one.

89Norcal

First saw Barca play in 2000. My abuelito worked in Madrid and was sort of a Madridista :) or at least he liked watching them and told me about our family in NE Spain. Because of that I watched Barca and off and on until 2003 when Gol TV in the US came out. My first girlfriend in highschool was from Brazil and introduced me too world football and we watched the Ronaldinho brace vs Madrid. Now I'm a lifelong fan.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I've always been a DIE-HARD fan of technical football. Always valued technique over physicality. I've always been more interested in seeing players make brilliant passing moves and agile dribbles than the simple speedy winger who thumps a cross in for the striker to head. Where better to look than Barcelona? Youth over transfers, family over money, team over individual. This club is truly a family with the same blood through and through. Always creating Spanish talent for the NT. The fact that this team is successful just makes me even more happy. It means that they are doing it right and they are doing it beautifully. I am too young to actually have watched anything before 06. After that i started watching a few matches, and then become a proud supporter at the start of the Guardiola era. But after the 2010 WC i really got into football and became an avid supporter who would watch almost all the games and know the club by heart. This team is truly beautiful. Mes que un club.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Because I won a schoolyard bet back in 1998 when I was still living in Manchester. If I had lost I would have supported Man City. I might have dodged a bullet there :lol:

khaled_a_d

I am a fan since around 1998 or 1999 ,The reason was strange tbh ,football in in general is by far the most popular sport in my country Egypt (may be it is so popular that no other sport can be considered popular too )
I was watching football for a year back then ,mainly because non of my family liked football but guys in my class was all about football and that made it a special thing just for me in the family ,In 1998 WC I was a big fan of Dutch NT ,loved that team ,was full of gr8 players
half of that team played FCB ,that what made me a big fan of the club ,specially with that awesome Jersey they were wearing back then ,in 2001 I decided that I got all my intention to international football over Egyptian league and from then FCB was my no1 team even over Egyptian clubs
funny part is that I am not a fan of the Dutch NT that much anymore ,the current generation is by far inferior to the Kluivert,Bergkamp,Stam,Overmars,Zender generation in terms in talent
I actually feel proud that I started watching the team b4 those glory days we had since Laporta came and witnessed one of the awful part i the team history early ,that made the wins I've witnessed more special

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
just simple, because Barca focus on "how to make a star from la masia?", not to buy a star from the others

Yes, cos we never spent a dime on Overmars, Petit, Kluivert, Geovanni, Litmanen, Bonano, Encke etc. :rolleyes:

On topic: Tenerife v. Barcelona 1996/1997

Home of Barca Fans