Who do you want as Barça manager next season?

Who should be Barça new coach?

• García Pimenta

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Thierry Henry

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Pablo Machín

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Quique Setién

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • Eusebio Sacrístan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Van Bommel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Mikel Arteta

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Abelardo Fernandez

• Rubi

• Laurent Blanc

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robert Martinez

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • None. I want to keep Valverde as manager

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters

khaled_a_d

We don't really have many options next year when Valverde eventually leaves. Unless you want to go for Setien or Eusebio lol. You keep going for underwhelming safe options and you'll never play to the level of your potential.

Will have to take a risk sometime. Worked with Rijkaard.

Everyone's overrated until they're not. I'm pretty sure people thought Klopp was overrated too when he was making waves in Germany pre-Dortmund. Heck for what it's worth, Klopp's resumé after he left Dortmund isn't all that impressive if trophies is everything you care about.

As for the comparison with Bosz, then his teams don't play as naively. They don't push men forward crazily which is why Bosz failed in Dortmund. There's a method to ten Hag's approach.

We have taken a risk with Tata, didn't really like it that much.
Would prefer a manager more proven or closer to the club. The Dutch have been awful lately when they go out of the league, except with Koeman and Southampton, may be?
You are making a legit point there is no sure bet there, that plays in his favor, no doubt.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We have taken a risk with Tata, didn't really like it that much.
Would prefer a manager more proven or closer to the club. The Dutch have been awful lately when they go out of the league, except with Koeman and Southampton, may be?
You are making a legit point there is no sure bet there, that plays in his favor, no doubt.

Come on, you cannot compare Tata Martino with Erik ten Hag here. Tata didn't even coach in Europe prior to Barcelona or even make any noticable impact in the Argentine league or the Libertadores.

God knows whose idea it even was to hire Tata in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's ten Hag or hell for me. I just don't want Setien, Eusebio or any of those kinda people. Would rather take a bet on ten Hag if that's my options.

khaled_a_d

I think that few users would say that and more that about you. In which universe does he have a "huge" following and fanbase? Certainly not in Spain or Italy. Germany? Not sure. Maybe Egypt? Is this some kind of joke or are we talking about another Tuchel or Klopp somehow? Care to show me this "huge fanbase" because I can't see it. Where is it exactly?

You can see it on the internet, English talking forum. Could start here actually.

El Gato

Villarato!
Sometimes I wonder if you are living in the same planet we are living in man. Tuchel has huge fanbase who thinks he is a top notch world class manager.

Don’t test the man. Somehow doesn’t know which way is up, but is very good at derailing threads when someone pokes him in a sensitive spot.

Barca would be best served waiting it out anyway. Lots of managerial fates hang in balance this summer and the next. There’ll be enough of a roulette to choose from. If not, just let a former player have it. Doesn’t have to be Xavi.

khaled_a_d

Come on, you cannot compare Tata Martino with Erik ten Hag here. Tata didn't even coach in Europe prior to Barcelona or even make any noticable impact in the Argentine league or the Libertadores.

God knows whose idea it even was to hire Tata in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's ten Hag or hell for me. I just don't want Setien, Eusebio or any of those kinda people. Would rather take a bet on ten Hag if that's my options.

Your editing makes it hard to keep up with you :lol:
Didn't mean to compare him with Tata, just talking about the risk. And yeah Tata was very weird choice.

DonAK

Just need to go on Twitter to find the Tuchel hype. It's at times unbearable. I know this as I flopped hard myself when I joined their Sampaoli cult :lol:

He's a very talented manager though. The likes of Guardiola, Klopp, Simeone, Mourinho prior to his meltdowns are hard to find.

Leo_Messi

You can see it on the internet, English talking forum. Could start here actually.

I just created a thread about Thomas Tuchel today (great timing and great jinxing, happy about it in fact) because nobody else had created a thread of supposedly one of the most "hyped" managers with an imaginary "huge fanbase" online. The only reply, aside from my own, is a Morten classic (one-liner) saying how overrated he is. On Redcafe (supposedly the largest English football forum covering a single club) there is hardly any talk about him either. Now or 2 years ago. So I don't get your "huge fanbase" comment at all or me supposedly living in another universe (wish I did at times).

I can tell you that hardly anyone is familiar with him or his tactics in Spain or Italy. Few people are watching QSG outside of the CL as well and that usually ends very quickly for them to make matters worse regardless of manager.:lol:

I am still waiting for some kind of evidence of him having a "huge fanbase" online. Must be in and around Mainz and Dortmund only.

Managers with actual huge "fanbases" are Pep, Mourinho and Klopp. Can't think of many others. Carlo is well-respected in Italy but not sure if he has a "huge" following. Prestige wise he is up there but not sure about having a similar following/fanbase as those 3 above mentioned coaches. Just like Heynckes (now retired) had a big fanbase in Germany and was respected in Spain as well by the older generation who remembered him from his time at Athletic, Real and Tenerife.

Pochettino for instance is many times more hyped as well. So was/is Sarri. Nagelsman is probably similar to Tuchel. Mostly rated in Germany.

The point being there is no way that Thomas freaking Tuchel has some "huge fanbase" online Khaled. Some Twitter users won't change this reality.:lol:

Last edited:

DonAK

Your editing makes it hard to keep up with you :lol:
Didn't mean to compare him with Tata, just talking about the risk. And yeah Tata was very weird choice.

My point is this: I find ten Hag to be a very talented manager who's worked hard throughout his career before he landed the Ajax job. Had a couple of good stints with Go Ahead Eagles and Utrecht before Bayern hired him to be their B team manager where he by most accounts worked closely with Pep who rated him highly.

He's been criticized in Holland because he wasn't a former Ajax player and he did things differently, but so far everything is working well for him. His stock is rising and plays a style I think everyone here would love, except he seem to be able to adapt his game plan too and doesn't push men forward naively.

If Barcelona make the right squad changes I believe he could be very good for us. It's definitely a risk, but if my other options are Setien or Eusebio, I'll take the guy with success in Europe that's worked very hard to get to this stage without having been a former player for Ajax.

khaled_a_d

I just created a thread about Thomas Tuchel today (great timing and great jinxing, happy about it in fact) because nobody else had created a thread of supposedly one of the most "hyped" managers with an imaginary "huge fanbase" online.

Can you go and count how many other managers who didn't coach Barca or Real have thread here?
Be serious man and take your loss, anyone followed this forum through past couple of years knows he was hyped here. If you followed any fan forum of any club that did need a coach you will find his name with many thinks he is next best thing. As Donak said you can look no further than twitter.

DonAK

Also, we're not in the position for him to prove his point elsewhere because he will then most likely be out of reach.

Sooner or later Barcelona will have to take a small risk on a talented manager and see where it leads them.

El Gato

Villarato!
If Barcelona make the right squad changes I believe he could be very good for us. It's definitely a risk, but if my other options are Setien or Eusebio, I'll take the guy with success in Europe that's worked very hard to get to this stage without having been a former player for Ajax.

Are Cocu and Van Bommel completely burned in Europe as part of that Dutch former player now manager crop? Can’t remember if Cocu got PSV to 1/4s or not.

khaled_a_d

My point is this: I find ten Hag to be a very talented manager who's worked hard throughout his career before he landed the Ajax job. Had a couple of good stints with Go Ahead Eagles and Utrecht before Bayern hired him to be their B team manager where he by most accounts worked closely with Pep who rated him highly.

He's been criticized in Holland because he wasn't a former Ajax player and he did things differently, but so far everything is working well for him. His stock is rising and plays a style I think everyone here would love, except he seem to be able to adapt his game plan too and doesn't push men forward naively.

My current bet right now is on Blanc, thought Favre could have got the job if he won Bundesliga
Sporting director is usually the one who decides the manager under Bartou -at least that was the case with both Lucho & EV- and Abidal has clear French bias, though Segura might have the final call

DonAK

Are Cocu and Van Bommel completely burned in Europe as part of that Dutch manager crop? Can’t remember if Cocu got PSV to 1/4s or not.

Van Bommel is doing great with PSV domestically, able to grind out results against opponents there, but they've been very underwhelming in Europe this season. I guess you can say he's been very Valverde-esque.

Cocu fucked up his reputation by going to Turkey of all places.

It's more about the combination of style of play Ajax have under ten Hag, their success vs Bayern and Real Madrid and how he's doing it with such an inexperienced squad. Sure you have Schöne and Blind there, but the average age of the rest of the Starting XI is like 21 or something around that.

Also it would suit us well given both de Jong and de Ligt might be on their way here. He seem to have a good head on his shoulders, not been silver spooned anything his career by having connections to Ajax, PSV, Barca or clubs like that, relatively charismatic with a clear plan.

My current bet right now is on Blanc, thought Favre could have got the job if he won Bundesliga
Sporting director is usually the one who decides the manager under Bartou -at least that was the case with both Lucho & EV- and Abidal has clear French bias, though Segura might have the final call

Blanc have been out of a job for a long time now and the seniors at PSG played him like he was a kid. I also don't think Barcelona want to be associated with his comments about black players in France lol. Abidal will definitely cross him out of his list right away.

In fact his comments might be a reason he's not landed a high profile job.

Last edited:

DonAK

I think every manager out there have question marks over them unless they're Guardiola or Klopp.

Tuchel was always criticized for his man management where he was borderline dictatorial. ten Hag you can question his experience, same with Nagelsmann and Favre.

Blanc flopped hard being walked over by his dressing room and him getting involved in the racial row in French Football is probably not something most teams want to be associated with, I don't even know if he even want to be a manager right now and being out for 3-4 years you have to question why he's not gotten a gig.

Jardim was thought very highly of and I still like him, but I bet people might have gotten cold over him after he was sacked by Monaco, and then re-hired again obviously. Not his fault they sold all his good players and replaced them with immature kids he's now setting straight or getting rid of.

Machin was doing great at Girona, but his Sevilla team is in a free fall right now and don't even get me started on Setien and Eusebio :lol:

Koeman did well at Southampton until it all collapsed at Everton where he used a lot of money and got his transfers.

And the list goes on..

Home of Barca Fans