WC Qualifiers 2018 - South America

barcanuck

Midfield: Pastore needs to wake up and develop his awareness and determination. Lamela, Mugni, Centurion, Cirigiliano and Yacob along with Ever as well. And Mino as a left sided player for di Maria or indeed Gaitan.

I've been wondering for so long what is happeing with Pastore and the national team. Haven't read of any arguments with Sabella or anything. Why isn't he being called up anymore?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Jorge Sampaoli (Universidad de Chile) is the new coach of Chile.

I wanted him to coach River, but los Millo's hesitation is Chile's gain. Chile still has a ton of holes but Sampaoli should innovate a bit while keeping the Bielsa inspired identity in place. Hopefully some of that La U magic brings back the excitement.

impeh

Hi, its me..
didnt really know where to post it but..

After a successful implementation of Goal-Line Technology (GLT) at the FIFA Club World Cup in Japan in December 2012, FIFA has decided to use GLT at the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 and 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™.

F

Flavia

didnt really know where to post it but..

After a successful implementation of Goal-Line Technology (GLT) at the FIFA Club World Cup in Japan in December 2012, FIFA has decided to use GLT at the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 and 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™.

It's a start. Replays for close offside calls are also really needed. The play should be allowed to end, and then check if it's offside. Too many legit goals get disallowed, or the illegit ones wrongly allowed.

Jenks

It's a start. Replays for close offside calls are also really needed. The play should be allowed to end, and then check if it's offside. Too many legit goals get disallowed, or the illegit ones wrongly allowed.

Not sure about that. Imagine all the extra time that would add on.

PearLBLacK

Banned
Yup, instead of putting a ref besides each goal, in addition to the usual three, they could assign one to monitor replays like you say. Wouldn't cause any delays either if the replays are instant.

So what will England's excuse be in 2014?

aaron101

If I were FIFA, I would make the referees stay at the sideline and have a monitor in front of him and watch the game. the linesmen will only monitor the offsides. The ref can press a button for the whistle sound that can be heard on speakers. He can also see the instant replay right after the foul just like watching a game at home. That way, it wouldn't disrupt the game and waste a lot of time and no one can argue with it since it's a accurate call based on the monitor.

Example:
when someone makes a tackle or dive in the penalty area, the ref who is sitting in front of a monitor can whistle then right after that the instant replay can be seen and he can make a decision after it. That can happen is just a few seconds.

They don't need a lot of money to invest on this as this is simple and easy to understand.
I might sound crazy but this is the solution that I can only think of that will certainly improve the officiating.

AURELIUS

Probably referring to England's "excuse" of Lampard's disallowed goal, even though that's something totally legitimate to complain about...

Exactly. Had that goal been given who knows what might have happened ? Goals change games. Romania versus France in Euro'96 as well for example when the ball was over the line but the goal was not given. It's a completely objective assessment and something the officials could do with having help on.

Football given the leadership it has has for too long dragged it's heels on implementing technology to aid officials as compared to other sports.

AURELIUS

I've been wondering for so long what is happeing with Pastore and the national team. Haven't read of any arguments with Sabella or anything. Why isn't he being called up anymore?

No arguments at all with Sabella barcanuck. Pastore is just for the moment in the cold. It's a shame as he is incredibly talented and under Ancelotti seems to be more disciplined , is holding his own and creating/scoring goals again and as you say in hockey much more of a 2 way player.

However Sabella seems to have settled on his ideal choice of attack and you can say he hasn't been wrong. di Maria, Messi, Aguero and Higuain are the permanent fixtures upfront and in midfield Gago and Mascherano with di Maria dropping in are the choices.

Anyone else is going to have a hard time getting in to displace those and most likely will be backups. So Banega, Rinaudo, Canteros (when fit) etc etc will have to bide their time. Messi is the key attacking midfielder/shadow striker Sabella is using. di Maria provides width on both flanks, Aguero is in a free role and is empathetic with Leo.

Higuain also has a free role and also has great empathy with Leo and he and Kun are often used as decoys to open up the middle of the pitch. Someone like Pastore would have to be second fiddle to Leo. It has happened before when the immensely gifted Ricardo Bochini had to play reserve to Maradona in 1986. Someone else like Lamela for example although by right an attacking central midfielder would probably be second change for di Maria.

The spots that are up for grabs still are in the lateral positions and probably one striking spot. Icardi could get this last spot as a natural nine ahead of Barcos, Martinez while in defence Zabaleta may have nailed down one spot the other is open if Peruzzi, Ansaldi impress ahead of Rojo.

Hopefully Caballero gets called as well to replace Romero.

B

beautifulgame

Pastore is a lazy shit.

I have been a big fan of his too but Messi is the 10 and if anyone should rest on field it is him but all have to defend.

Home of Barca Fans