Villarreal CF

nebeer

Love is All
Have they signed anyone in lieu of Cazolra?

Btw, we play against them in La Liga and the Segunda, Barcelona B vs. Villarreal B tonight!

We play them in our first Liga game as well, and in that game we would have a better idea of how well equipped they might be against the likes of BM and MC in the CL. If they can qualify for the next round of CL, it would be a defining moment for them for sure.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
And to be honest, I have not seen a more competitive group than this one before.

1998/1999:
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Brondby
Manchester United

best. group. ever.

yeah Brondby were weak but the other three were so strong! it had both Finalists, and then us! we had a great team that year but still finished 3rd and went out!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
1998/1999:
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Brondby
Manchester United

best. group. ever.

yeah Brondby were weak but the other three were so strong! it had both Finalists, and then us! we had a great team that year but still finished 3rd and went out!

Yes that series was epic, but it was the same problem with most group of deaths - there was still a whipping boy .

This is the first time I've seen a group of death such as this where all four teams are essentially on the same level, or at least close enough that everyone can beat anyone depending on the day.

nebeer

Love is All
1998/1999:
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Brondby
Manchester United

best. group. ever.

Yeah this was an awesome group back then, but there it had 1 weak team. I have seen groups (even in World Cups) that are strong but normally it always has a weak team in the group. But here, it's not at all so easy to pin point any 1 team as weak. Though the 98/99 group had 3 really strong teams, but the uniqueness of this present Villarreal group is that for the first time it seems that all 4 teams are very competitive.

El Gato

Villarato!
Villarreal's president Fernando Roig:
"This is the league YOU want. I have to sell players to balance the budget whereas other teams can apply for numerous loans at banks and they will get them. If you want to have two proper matches in this league then go on, but it is not good for football. I give myself 3 to 4 years. We either change this or we will kill the league."

"We got various offers for Rossi and Nilmar, but I know their departure would hurt the club. However, economical differences lead to these situations"

Sergio

Sergison
The man is spot on, I love he had the balls to take a dig and Barca and Madrid's totally unfair preferential treatment from Spanish banks. Not sure the league isn't already killed though, doesn't seem like a league at all, just seems like the Super Copa but with the inconvenience of 36 other meaningless fixtures.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
the bank situation is a bit shit, but tbh if you look at the monster revenues from Barcelona and Madrid then you can see why they'd be granted loans so often. you're fairly certain to get your money back. but if you look at smaller clubs, they're not so great at generating revenue.

there should be fairer revenue sharing of TV deals, though. I just hope people don't think that it would be the cure for everything. Barcelona and Madrid are still miles better than everyone because they generate masses of money from other sources. and Barcelona have La Masia as well.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
also, it's funny how no one complained about this when we were shit under Gaspart. or when Rijkaard has us on-top but RM were waning.

Andrew M

The man is spot on, I love he had the balls to take a dig and Barca and Madrid's totally unfair preferential treatment from Spanish banks. Not sure the league isn't already killed though, doesn't seem like a league at all, just seems like the Super Copa but with the inconvenience of 36 other meaningless fixtures.

Go and watch the Bundesliga then

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if the sour taste of defeat made him say it but Barca makes ManUtd look like Getafe so Villarreal looking poor at Camp Nou is hardly down to bankers.

El Gato

Villarato!
Barcelona and Madrid are still miles better than everyone because they generate masses of money from other sources.

And they STILL repay their debts very slowly, in Barca's case hardly at all. That's why I'm doubtful they would agree to make TV rights equal for all clubs at this point right now or in the nearest future.

Metaphysical said:
also, it's funny how no one complained about this when we were shit under Gaspart. or when Rijkaard has us on-top but RM were waning.

Back then it wasn't dramatic. Messi and the whole La Masia talent erupting caused all of this by generating extra popularity and another European juggernaut.

Andrew M

People act like the EPL is ultra competitive or something.

So what, it has one extra team supposedly fighting for the league, and two of the three are owned by super-rich billionaires!

So impressive!

Were Valencia and Atleti fed by oil money, things would be different.

Home of Barca Fans