UEFA Champions League 2014-15

But extra time doesn't change the fact that team's records are consistently better at home than away. It's not a perfect equilibrium, but better than nothing.

Ghost

Rules being ancient or not and whether it should be changed should be IRRELEVANT when Chelsea getting eliminated is the subject at matter. Football (and it wins here) first and everything else second.

Ghosting

Away goals came in handy this time, it meant a crappy team who couldn't beat a team with 10 mean for 90 minutes despite them being 'as good as Barcelona 08-11' got deservedly knocked out.

edit- lol didn't realise there was a guy called Ghost on here, and joined a month before. Wait, am I an imposter?

Asylum15

I would be much more pessimistic against Madrid or even Dortmund because of their insane quick counters.

A possible match up against Bayern won't be like 2013 because Heynckes isn't their manager anymore. This time Pep will dominate possession while we're sitting back and countering. It largely depends on how good we defend but they always leave space behind their defence.

The Bayern team in 2013 that beat us was the best Bayern, Guardiola's not coming close IMO.

The players they have playing Tiki Taka don't fit for me, and I've seen more than enough of them defensively to know we'll score against them certainly.

We'll need Alba/Alves at their best however.

PhilS

Now,i'm so delighted Chelsea are out but in all seriousness,the away goal rule is quite possibly the worst,least logical rule in all of sports.

You have two games,two draws and according to the rule,there's a better draw between the two.I mean even when taking into consideration,for example,3:1 vs 2:0,it's stupid as hell but it's so underlined when there's no winner in two games and yet one team is the winner.

AC Milan won the champions league in 2003 without winning a game in the semis OR the final...0:0,1:1,0:0 (won on penalties)...and that's your ''best'' European team of the year.

The away goal rule has some relationship to the games played. In many cases, it avoids the stupid penalty kicks, which have nothing at all to do with the games played.

footyfan

Calma, calma
It's to give away teams an incentive to attack

In that case, how about doubling the value of the 20th placed team's goals against the 1st placed team, just so they have an incentive to attack?

The away goals rule is outdated and should really be gone by now.

But extra time doesn't change the fact that team's records are consistently better at home than away. It's not a perfect equilibrium, but better than nothing.

1st placed teams' records are consistently better than 20th placed teams' records - does that mean their goals should be weighed less?

I know you think it's not a perfect equilibrium, but I think the advantage gained from valuing a goal that highly is far too much to justify a not-so-proportionate home advantage. It's not just imperfect, it's more extreme than that.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Saw this today:

The only 2 previous times Mourinho's sides were knocked out in the last 16 of the ‪‎UCL‬ (2006, 09), Barcelona went on to win it.

:tito:

raskolnikov

I'm just glad he and Chelsea are out, loathe Chelsea and Mourinho''s teams Always give us problems.
Now just Bayern and Real remain as the 2 clubs that would be favoured h2h against us. Let them draw each other while we face Porto or Monaco.

EdmondDantes

Why are people hating on the away goals rule? The extra time does not change anything. If the away team gets to play 30 extra minutes under the "away goal" rule, the home team gets to play the second and final leg at home, as well as the 30 minutes of extra time, and the penalty shootout.

If anything, the home side holds the advantage. A team like Chelsea deserved what they got, Mourinho can't help but park the bus on big occasions. In the first half of the season he was all attacking, now the big games are piling up, he's reverting back to what he has always been. A "1-0" merchant.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
What does not make sense is to imply the rule for the extra time though. It is a disadvantage for the team that plays the 2nd leg at home. Apart from that the away goal rule should stay.

Extra time should be played the day after on an neutral stadium - 2 x 30 minutes without goalies and referees. Yeah!

L

linetty

Extra time should be played the day after on an neutral stadium - 2 x 30 minutes without goalies and referees. Yeah!
post-28555-Jesse-Pinkman-WHAT-gif-HD-Brea-2SXe.gif

zanela

I'm just glad he and Chelsea are out, loathe Chelsea and Mourinho''s teams Always give us problems.
Now just Bayern and Real remain as the 2 clubs that would be favoured h2h against us. Let them draw each other while we face Porto or Monaco.

Getting ahead of ourselves, are we? Not qualified yet, to be discussing any potential qtrs opponent. We've seen away teams having caused enough trouble in this round. And given the absence of Barca's main man in MF (Busi), and the return of theirs in Yaya, this could be a high-scoring game, which would favor City as the match wears on. Leo's peno miss could end up being decisive to the outcome. A tricky one, this.

Home of Barca Fans