Timo Werner

Werner is dumb and Bayern was smart not to buy him. Yeah right. I don?t see how Douglas Costa was any better yet Bayern bought him and loaned him again.
Douglas Costa is pretty dumb too.

Buying him 1st time was indeed not great business, but Bayern were at least able to sell that pea brain for a profit to Juve and his 1st six months were absolutely sensational.

The loan deal this year of Costa was widely criticized too, but at least he is a real left footed winger and not the worst winger No. 4 to have, until Musiala overtook him. The actual ranking is Coman, Gnabry, Sane, Musiala and then Costa, who did not cost a loan fee and ll be gone next summer again.

The difference is, nobody cares if Costa is sitting on the bench, whereas the German media would jump the story of Bayern destroying the career of the great Timo Werner every single weekend.

I m the opposite of a fan of Salihamidzic and I think he is a dumb idiot, but in this case he did everything right by saying his playing style does not fit Bayern and vetoing the transfer.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Douglas Costa is useful as an impact sub, his qualities (the insane speed, dribbling ability, and technical ability) allow him to seriously affect the course of a match within the dying minutes of the game. Useful tool to have, really. Especially when you've got 3 other potentially WC wingers.

Yannik

I think he will be a good striker. Every striker has this period of meme-finishing at some point of his career, but this is usually confidence and luck related.
The biggest feat of a striker is to be able to mass chances and be in the right position at the right times. Unlike finishing which fluctuates during the career, this is a quality that strikers never really loose. And at some point he'll start banging them in again.

I think he will be a good striker. Every striker has this period of meme-finishing at some point of his career, but this is usually confidence and luck related.
The biggest feat of a striker is to be able to mass chances and be in the right position at the right times. Unlike finishing which fluctuates during the career, this is a quality that strikers never really loose. And at some point he'll start banging them in again.
He can be a fantastic striker within the right system, as Leipzig and Nagelsmann have proven, but u cannot put him in a system that doesnt suit him e.g. he cannot play as a lone striker and he is no winger. He is ideally playing next to/behind another, more physical striker, giving him freedom to roam around all over the pitch. He needs a team with a lot of movement and quick transitions, where he can use his speed to exploid spaces. Thats why a poster called him rightfully a system player.

I think Liverpool would have been the ideal club for him and they were interested, but Werner thought it was a better idea to go to Chelsea instead..very smart choice :lol:

Yannik

He can be a fantastic striker within the right system, as Leipzig and Nagelsmann have proven, but u cannot put him in a system that doesnt suit him e.g. he cannot play as a lone striker and he is no winger. He is ideally playing next to/behind another, more physical striker, giving him freedom to roam around all over the pitch. He needs a team with a lot of movement and quick transitions, where he can use his speed to exploid spaces. Thats why a poster called him rightfully a system player.

I think Liverpool would have been the ideal club for him and they were interested, but Werner thought it was a better idea to go to Chelsea instead..very smart choice :lol:

I agree. He works neither as a lone striker, nor as a LW.
The only way to make Werner work is to play him in a double striker pivot like at Leipzig. He also had his best days in the NT in the Confed Cup 2017, when Germany played an experimental 4-4-2 with Werner-Stindl upfront.
I dont get why Chelsea paid so much money for the transfers of Werner and Havertz only to play them in a system they were known to not work in.

FinBarcelonafan

He would be behind Liverpool's big three(Mane Salah). They would start almost every match. He wanted big minutes. Chelsea could offer that.

JamDav1982

I agree. He works neither as a lone striker, nor as a LW.
The only way to make Werner work is to play him in a double striker pivot like at Leipzig. He also had his best days in the NT in the Confed Cup 2017, when Germany played an experimental 4-4-2 with Werner-Stindl upfront.
I dont get why Chelsea paid so much money for the transfers of Werner and Havertz only to play them in a system they were known to not work in.

Seemed like it was heading towards Werner up top and Havertz behind him which could work in theory if Werner is up top when Chelsea are deeper and he can try to break in behind and run channels. When have more of ball and with full backs/Ziyech to put balls into box then Havertz would need to be more of the 9 then and get forward.

On break... Pulisic and Werner to try and get in behind. When have slower build up then its on Ziyech/FBs and Havertz.

Werner confidence seems to have gone a bit and Havertz not same since covid while Ziyech, James and Chilwell all been injured/carrying injuries.

Be interesting to see how they line up v City today.

Laplacian

I dislike system players, but Lampard is showing to be quite the below average manager. Chelsea should jump on the Tuchel or Nagelsmann train for next season.

Home of Barca Fans