Thiago Alcantara

shann

Xavi es mi hombre
Barca starlet Thiago opts to play for Spain

Oct 7, 2010, 16:49 GMT
Madrid -

Barcelona starlet Thiago Alcantara said on Thursday that the only national team that he would play for is Spain.
Thiago, 19, is the son of Mazinho, one of Brazil's 1994 World Cup winning heroes.

He was born in Bari, Italy, in 1991 when his father was playing for Lecce. Mazinho then moved to Spain to play for Valencia and Celta Vigo, taking Thiago with him.

Thiago has played for Spain at the Under-16, Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 levels, catching the eye with his precise passing and midfield creativity.

'I have things clear,' he said on Thursday, 'and I am not going to generate doubts. The only country that I want to play for is Spain.'

He is one of the many youngsters from the Barca nursery team given his chance by coach Pep Guardiola. He made his full debut against Mallorca in May 2009 and is often used by Guardiola as a late substitute to break down weary defences.

His case is similar to that of Bojan Krkic, another promising Barca starlet. Bojan opted for the Spanish national team ahead of Serbia, the country of his father.

Full quote from Thiago:

I have this clear and I will not create doubt to anyone. That is no longer a sub-16 or U-17, this is something more serious, important. We're talking about another level. And if I'm willing to be here is because I am willing to play with Spain.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
How is it good news for Barca!? Him gaining the experience from the other BRazil players from NT, their physical approach some times... would make him better as a player don't u think!?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
No. How do you reckon he would learn more in Brazil than with world champions?
Also, he wouldn´t have to travel across the ocean every now and then and participate in Copa America when European footballers rest.
Playing for Spain is best for Thiago and Barca.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I don't know man... I see only the travel part as an advantage.
He's anywaay learning from the World Champions already ;)
Not that European players have Euro!?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Euro is part of our Spainish internationals schedule. And it is better to be on schedule with the group then resting when others are playing and vice-versa.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
great news for Thiago. I really want him and JDS to succeed here at FCB, and this call up is great news. he'll learn a lot from the guys on the NT.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
As it is I'm really worried about more than half our team representing Spain NT. There isn't much he could gain by going for NT practice when most of the players that he could learn from are playing with him at the club!! I mean look at it this way, how many times haven't you observed an out-of-form Rooney goes to England NT and returns with a lot gained and reflect it at UTD? Nani? Also I watched a doc on Ronnie very recently and it was there to see how his time with NT when he was still 21/22 changed his entire career! Okay we have Messi proving other wise but it's totally a different & unique situation for him!!

Also with Spain NT Thiago would take a lot more time probably to get into it, because there's a lot of wealth in Spain midfield and many of thep layers are still in mid 20s. But with Brazil NT he mostly would be picked for next WC when they would be favorites at their own land!!

Just my opinion though. May be he could learn more at Spain

Chygrinskiy21

I've said this for a while... by far the most exciting youth team prospect since Iniesta and Messi, for me, which, admittedly, wasn't that long ago. I've been so in love with this kid since he showed up that I failed to see his flaws. The past few games, I've realized that he needs to work on his off the ball movement and positioning as well as being a little more hard working. This could make the difference from being another Guti to becoming a Brazilian Zizou. I was going to say he needs humility, but screw that... his swagger gives him the balls to do incredible things!
Forget Cesc... Thiago is the future

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
OMMMMMGG what a pass by thiago to set up the first gol for spains u21... very xavi esc... this man MUST be in the first team for Barça nooow

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
man thiago is awsome.. ahead of iniesta at this same age for sure (ik it dosent realy mean anything.... but just saying)

Home of Barca Fans