Thiago Alcantara

Vilarrubi

We were willing to pay almost double for Verratti last summer compared to what we're rumored to be in for Thiago

Being utter shit is a bigger risk than being injury prone. And that didn't stop us from overpaying like mad for the likes of Gomes and Paulinho.

+1

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Paulinho paid off. He played good role and could be even better next season once he is more settled.

Thiago could very easily turn like Cesc or worse if he gets injured and there is good probability that he will.

Just move Roberto in midfield. Arthur will be here too anyway sooner or later. Alena too will need minutes when he recovers in autumn.

MTL_Barca

If Paulinho already "paid off" then how can signing Thiago even be remotely risky? He was decent first half of the season but unless we can sell him back to China people will start bitching about how we can't get rid of him and his huge wages in next summer. If we would plan our team properly (and that means having more than 3 players that can score) we wouldn't have needed Paulinhos goals in the first place. As a CM he is still mediocre.

Thiago is a world class player, he plays leagues above Paulinho or Gomes. I don't think people realize how good Thiago can actually play.

snowy

To get some clarity, anyone got a link to his injury history?

No doubt he's got world class skills but if his body really can't keep up, then that's it, best sign De Jong + Zyiech for about 60 mil. (35 for Frenkie & 25 for Hakim).

It's not like we can buy some puts & hedge Thiago getting :stretcher:

FCBfan22

He would be a great addition to the squad, because he is a great player.

But with that injury record in 17/18 season, I don't know if we can rely on him as a key piece in our play.

YodaMaster

He missed approximately 110 games in 4 seasons at Bayern. If you watch his injuries list, more than half of those missed matches were due to a problem with a knee. He had one big injury that provoked a lot of little other injuries and that made him miss a ton of matches between 2013 and beginning of 2015. Since he completely recovered from that problem with the knee, he only missed 15 matches because of little injuries in almost 3 years (between beginning 2015 and end of 2017) untill he had that "muscle partial avulsion" in december 2017. In the last 3 years and a half he missed 30 matches, which is no big deal imo. Messi (who's not injury prone) missed 19 games in a little bit less than the last 3 years. Iniesta missed 35 matches since october 2015. Coutinho missed 35 games since november 2015.

Besides that, I'm 100 percent sure that Bayern's medical team isn't the best. If Thiago struggled so much to recover from that first big knee injury I think they have something to do with it. And the small little unimportant injuries he and all Bayern players always have aren't normal for a club like that.

To be clear, I don't think Thiago is such an injury prone player. He's far from being Vermaelen. That + Barça's medical team being among the best = we shouldn't give Thiago's injuries such importance.

Last edited:

Yannik

He's been injured for 191 days in the past 3 seasons combined, so basically for 17% of the time.
Before that he was injured this many days almost per season. (179 in 13/14, 154 in 14/15). Back then his biggest issue seemed to be his knee, but it was supposedly fixed under Guardiola.
His injury record got significantly better over the years, although the msot noticable one of the recent years was this season when he was out for 81 days between November and February.

He missed approximately 110 games in 4 seasons at Bayern. If you watch his injuries list, more than half of those missed matches were due to a problem with a knee. He had one big injury that provoked a lot of little other injuries and that made him miss a ton of matches between 2013 and beginning of 2015. Since he completely recovered from that problem with the knee, he only missed 15 matches because of little injuries in almost 3 years (between beginning 2015 and end of 2017) untill he had that "muscle partial avulsion" in december 2017. In the last 3 years and a half he missed 30 matches, which is no big deal imo. Messi (who's not injury prone) missed 19 games in a little bit less than the last 3 years. Iniesta missed 35 matches since october 2015. Coutinho missed 35 games since november 2015.

Besides that, I'm 100 percent sure that Bayern's medical team isn't the best. If Thiago struggled so much to recover from that first big knee injury I think they have something to do with it. And the small little unimportant injuries he and all Bayern players always have aren't normal for a club like that.

To be clear, I don't think Thiago is such an injury prone player. He's far from being Vermaelen. That + Barça's medical team being among the best = we shouldn't give Thiago's injuries such importance.

https://grup14.com/column/the-end-of-thiago-s-controversial-injury-saga

Thiago was atleast partly treated at Barcelona... - and if someone is to blame it is Cugat.

Last edited:

BarçaBarça

I went back to check the sources, because like I wrote in my last post, I fear that this is Verratti holding a spanish paper and everyone screams "Confirmed!" all over again.

It started with Kicker 4 months ago, claiming that Goretzka, Thiago and Vidal is 1 too many for Bayern and that either Vidal or Thiago could be sold this summer.
Then Cristian Falk from Bild reported that Bayern would listen and negotiate for Thiago, Vidal, Bernat and Boateng. According to Bayern-fans he is very reliable.
After this Catalunya Radio reported the 60M asking price from Bayerns side. Other papers has reported in the range of 50-70M.

All in all this doesn't look like a Verratti saga, because there are reliable journalists putting their reputation at stake (not just MD and Sport hyperventilation about yet another made-up transferstory because the need to print everyday). But it really is baffling that Bayern will consider selling Thiago and Boateng, to me it makes no sense.
The only reservation I have, is that all of these stories mentions more players than Thiago. Therefore, if Vidal is sold, which are much more reasonable and plausible, all of these papers and journalist can just say: We told you so, 1 of Thiago and Vidal will be sold, and 1 of them were, while Thiago was just clickbait all along :thinking:
Maybe there were separate stories about a bad relationship between Thiago and the club?

The poll about choosing between Griezmann and Thiago was a tricky one, and I really feel we won't get this kind of opportunity to fix our squad with this level of certainty in their adaption to our system and level. I would go for both, ditch Lenglet and pray we can get some sales done for once.

George_Costanza

Just why Thiago Alcantara was allowed to leave for Bayern Munich remains one of the bigger mysteries in Barcelona's recent history, yet the club's director of institutional relations, Guillermo Amor, has made clear the midfielder didn't leave for money.

Thiago had been waiting for his chance in the first team on a regular basis for a while, and seemed the heir apparent to Xavi Hernandez before his departure."He didn't leave for money," Amor explained."It's not the same as a boy of 16 years old who leaves for the money. He left because Barcelona sold him." Bayern Munich are rumoured to be willing to sell the Spanish international this summer, and he's been linked with a sensational return to the Camp Nou.

Whilst it goes against one of ideologies of Pep Segura that a player who leaves the club shouldn't return, such a signing would prove incredibly popular with supporters.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2018/06/08/5b1a579d22601d05718b45ae.html

Home of Barca Fans