Thiago Alcantara

M

MessiCam

I remember Khaled talking about defence breaking through balls. Seems like he had a point.

I remember the post but you also can’t regularly expect that from a pivot. Especially a young pivot...

His through ball stats have increased. It’s up to over 0.2 per game now but that’s because he is working on his attacking contribution due to Augusto being preferred for Brazil and as a result his defense has suffered.

Here is an article with some quotes from Arthur regarding his attacking contribution

He is very much aware of what he has to do but [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] is right in that we can’t have a central midfield of Arthur and Thiago unless the latter takes over the attacking duties in midfield which is a long shot if there ever was one.

M

MessiCam

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], no midfielder will be able to control a game in the manner that Xavi did.

I read an analysis some years ago in which it was found that Xavi raised and turned his head over 800 times in a single game to look for passing options. That’s right 800 times while never losing possession... His teammates called him the exorcist because of it. He did it more than 500 times per game on many occasions too.

Expecting that kind of detail from other players is just not going to happen.

The Rakitic nonsense I’m just not going to get into. The difference in class is just way too big. Thiago is miles better.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], no midfielder will be able to control a game in the manner that Xavi did.

I read an analysis some years ago in which it was found that Xavi raised and turned his head over 800 times in a single game to look for passing options. That’s right 800 times while never losing possession... His teammates called him the exorcist because of it. He did it more than 500 times per game on many occasions too.

Expecting that kind of detail from other players is just not going to happen.

The Rakitic nonsense I’m just not going to get into. The difference in class is just way too big. Thiago is miles better.

Ok. Maybe my expectations are too high.
But then, people need to forget about Xavi.
Xavi was an alien.

I didn't know about these stats from your post, but you see, he was crazy and his vision and IQ were insane.
This is why I am saying that Xavi WAS TikiTaka.

Put a human in a team instead of him and you will get 50% weaker product.
No wonder that both Barca and Spain lost their dominance once when Xavi the brain declined.

This is why I think that people will be disappointed both with Arthur's and Thiago's controlling compared to Xavi's.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Xavi was an alien.

I didn't know about these stats from your post, but you see, he was crazy and his vision and IQ were insane.

No wonder that both Barca and Spain lost their dominance once when Xavi the brain declined.

This is why I think that people will be disappointed both with Arthur's and Thiago's product controlling compared to Xavi's.
Of course. People talk about Iniesta being the midfielder but in my opinion it’s always been Xavi and it’s why I’ve been saying that thoughts about him being replaced on a like for like basis be abolished. It’s impossible.

I will add one thing regarding the back passes... Both Xavi and Thiago average just over 60% in terms of forward passes whereas Rakitic only attains those numbers in a double pivot otherwise he is in the low 50’s.

Laplacian

Alright, let's say Thiago is a "brainless" midfielder (though I disagree) what are our other options? Who else that fits Thiago's profile or is similar, can we get that is not only available but also a realistic transfer? There are not a lot options really. I would love another Xavi but honestly it's not a necessity, having a good midfield is; and that is what we desperately need.

serghei

If we are to compare every CM with Xavi we might as well stop watching football, because there isn't anyone close to him.

Jägermeister

Xavi was an alien.

This is why I think that people will be disappointed both with Arthur's and Thiago's controlling compared to Xavi's.

Should we compare them now or not? Pick one.

Calidad

Is he going to start for Spain??

Who knows? Busquets & Iniesta are sure starters. I think it’s safe to assume Thiago, Koke & Isco will battle it out/alternate for the third position. Although Isco could also be brought into a front three.

After this tournament, I think Thiago will be an auto-first choice following Iniesta’s retirement.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The funny thing is that no one is comparing Thiago to Xavi. No one want Thiago to be like Xavi. Most people here just want a top class midfielder that can help the team. An upgrade over what we currently have.

@BBZ8800 is inventing stuff about what people are saying so he can cook up something to fit his narrative, and that's what he always does.

Now he's saying Pjanic would be better, but if we were linked to Pjanic he would compare him to Xavi and find a way to say he sucks too lol.

serghei

The funny thing is that no one is comparing Thiago to Xavi. No one want Thiago to be like Xavi. Most people here just want a top class midfielder that can help the team. An upgrade over what we currently have.

@BBZ8800 is inventing stuff about what people are saying so he can cook up something to fit his narrative, and that's what he always does.

Now he's saying Pjanic would be better, but if we were linked to Pjanic he would compare him to Xavi and find a way to say he sucks too lol.

True.

M

MessiCam

Regarding football radars... Found this gem.

VhPN30r_d.jpg

This was the season before we signed him...

Home of Barca Fans