Should La Liga feature fewer teams?

Should La Liga comprise fewer teams?

• Total voters

dalitis8

Banned
bigger and population are two different things,

16 is two few, though it may help barca to match real with their 9 Champions league titles.

18 teams, get rid of the two legged copa games and that will reduce the number of games played by top team in the league, even 20 and do the same and the objective would be achieved. its just rosell looking to find away to give the rest of the teams in la liga more money while maintaining what barca currently gets.

When we say that a country is big, what we have in mind is its population. The area of a country does not make it either big or small.

Which country is bigger? Sweden or England? The obvious answer is England (6 times as big) But in terms of landmass, Sweden is times bigger than England. But what counts in economics, politics and war, is the size of your population and of course your level of technological sophistication. Landmass counts for basically zilch.

jamrock

When we say that a country is big, what we have in mind is its population. The area of a country does not make it either big or small.

Which country is bigger? Sweden or England? The obvious answer is England (6 times as big) But in terms of landmass, Sweden is times bigger than England. But what counts in economics, politics and war, is the size of your population and of course your level of technological sophistication. Landmass counts for basically zilch.

when we say bigger we mean bigger, canada is a bigger country that the US. it doesn't mean they have the bigger economy, they're words for these things and people use them

Bigger means,bigger unless you quality your statement.

dalitis8

Banned
when we say bigger we mean bigger, canada is a bigger country that the US. it doesn't mean they have the bigger economy, they're words for these things and people use them

Bigger means,bigger unless you quality your statement.

In austere linguistic terms, you are probably correct. Since states control clearly defined territories, saying that state A is bigger than state B, we could probably mean that state A controls more area.

But, in the politico/economic/historical sense, saying that Sweden is bigger than England (or Canada bigger than the USA) would be a major bluff. The US, or England, have more weight in anything imaginable than the other two nations mentioned here, despite the fact that they are smaller in terms of size. In other words, landmass counts for almost zero.

Guardian

I think that the format with 20 clubs is good for Spain. Before 1987 La Liga featured 18 clubs, but that didn't increase the quality of the league, exactly the opposite, after Real Madrid's sixth European Cup Spanish clubs never touched the cup again before Barca's triumph at Wembley with Cruyff's dream team. And that makes more than two decades. Not to mention that Spanish NT was choking even more often than the English one. La Liga was considered as third even fourth best league in Europe. Now it's different.

The competition will be fair only if there is a fair share of TV rights. Only a moron couldn't see this.

dalitis8

Banned
I think that the format with 20 clubs is good for Spain. Before 1987 La Liga featured 18 clubs, but that didn't increase the quality of the league, exactly the opposite, after Real Madrid's sixth European Cup Spanish clubs never touched the cup again before Barca's triumph at Wembley with Cruyff's dream team. And that makes more than two decades. Not to mention that Spanish NT was choking even more often than the English one. La Liga was considered as third even fourth best league in Europe. Now it's different.

The competition will be fair only if there is a fair share of TV rights. Only a moron couldn't see this.

During the 70s (the all-time low of the Spanish League) Spain was a country trying to get out of 2nd world status. All the surplus produced by the Spanish economy went to further investment in the productive sectors of the economy, and still Spain lacked seriously behind the North parts of Europe in terms of absolutely everything. It was only when Spain managed to close the gap with the North considerably, that Spanish clubs managed to really be contenders in Europe once again. From the 1980s onwards, La Liga rose and rose, until its heyday circa 2000. Now, with the Eurozone crisis, Spain is in danger of reverting to its traditional place in Europe.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I voted no as 16 teams is retarded.

but 18 teams? I can dig it. that plus 1-legged Copa ties like jamrock says and you've already taken 6-10 games off the schedule for the teams in Europe, which can only help.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
During the 70s (the all-time low of the Spanish League) Spain was a country trying to get out of 2nd world status. All the surplus produced by the Spanish economy went to further investment in the productive sectors of the economy, and still Spain lacked seriously behind the North parts of Europe in terms of absolutely everything. It was only when Spain managed to close the gap with the North considerably, that Spanish clubs managed to really be contenders in Europe once again. From the 1980s onwards, La Liga rose and rose, until its heyday circa 2000. Now, with the Eurozone crisis, Spain is in danger of reverting to its traditional place in Europe.
How was the 70s the all time low for the Spanish League? You mean the same 70s where Johan Cruyff played in Spain, where after a decade of complete and total dominance by Madrid based teams, Barcelona and Valencia had a renaissance period? The same period where Franco's death lead to an influx of foreign players giving the league more balance? The same 70s that took place after the rapid reindustrialization of the "Spanish miracle" that started in 1964? The same 70s that saw a restoration of democracy?

Err, okay, whatever you say.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

In the present context, we have to take into account not the population but the area. We need to take into account the number of football fans and the way they are distributed too. Even if a country has less population they'd need more top flight teams if the football fans are distributed into wider area

My vote would be 'YES". Please reduce the number of clubs. It would benefit the league in a lot number of ways basically. The big two can go deep in Europe, thereby increasing the UEFA coefficient. The 'Other Liga' contenders can do it too, because right now they are really suffering due to the lack of depth due to the number of fixtures they have in the Liga and hence are doiing really bad in Europe.
And of course the increased revenue for them

***I wrongly voted for 'NO'

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
In the present context, we have to take into account not the population but the area. We need to take into account the number of football fans and the way they are distributed too. Even if a country has less population they'd need more top flight teams if the football fans are distributed into wider area

My vote would be 'YES". Please reduce the number of clubs. It would benefit the league in a lot number of ways basically. The big two can go deep in Europe, thereby increasing the UEFA coefficient. The 'Other Liga' contenders can do it too, because right now they are really suffering due to the lack of depth due to the number of fixtures they have in the Liga and hence are doiing really bad in Europe.
And of course the increased revenue for them

***I wrongly voted for 'NO'

The big two go deep in europe already, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Maria

What La Liga needs is that Flo and Ro$ell stop their war over Neymar and start working on a more balanced distribution of money, one legged tie in Copa del Rey and a league of 18 teams. I'm a cule, but I'm ashamed of some of Ro$ell's interviews, his manipulation on Sport and MD and that our club is ripping off the other 18 teams in the league.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
What La Liga needs is that Flo and Ro$ell stop their war over Neymar and start working on a more balanced distribution of money, one legged tie in Copa del Rey and a league of 18 teams. I'm a cule, but I'm ashamed of some of Ro$ell's interviews, his manipulation on Sport and MD and that our club is ripping off the other 18 teams in the league.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

nebeer

Love is All
16 is way too few. But I don't see how reducing it down to 18 teams could make the league more competitive. The problem in La Liga is that the top 2 are like 2 super clubs, and the difference between them and the rest is a huge one. Barca and RM hardly get beaten in the league by other opponents than each other, so rather by leaving 2 of the weakest teams out of the league, sides like Valencia, ATM would find even harder to pick up points, and thus the big gap could still be there. I mean obviously, a smaller league would mean that the big 2 would have lesser points to win in total, but the real competitiveness is decided by the quality of the sides. The only way to make the league more competitive is by making the 3rd, 4th, 5th teams of the league way more stronger than they are right now. They need reinforcements in all departments. I like the playing style of La Liga the most of all the leagues. Only if they can make the 3rd-5th teams of the league more stronger, this league would undisputedly be the best league of the world. Though the only advantage of fewer teams would be that players would get more rest, but that's where rotation comes in place. Fewer games in the Copa could be a good idea though.

Guardian

Bullshit.
Portugal were even worse but Porto, Sporting and Benfica were doing fine in Europe. France economy was and still is one of the dominating ones, but that have never had influence on their club football. Brazil was and still is the biggest football power, but couldn't say the same for its economy in the past (I know that it's one of largest right now, which is funny because their NT has had some major flops recently).

Home of Barca Fans