Should Barca sign a defender?

Should Barca sign a defender?

• Total voters

rmpcsl

Im afraid that Pep dont wanna buy another CB to let Fontas/Batra/Botia/Muniesa/Sergi Gomez have chances to play althought with Puyol injuries/age I would try to bring Hummels he seems Barça quality for sure and 22years old only.
Then play Pique/Hummels keep the 2 better out of the 5 youngsters and loan the others or sell with buyback clauses.
I understand Masch can play there but if he plays in Busquets place he will be some kind of third CB and let Dani and Abi(Adriano) play higher on the pitch.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
I think Pep's plan is to turn Masche into the new Puyol. He's only 27 years old and they're quite similar players (fast, aggressive, good tacklers, really focused). We already know he can play in this Barça system and he's done a good job against arguably our two toughest opponents. So it might be safer to turn him into a full time CB than to buy another expensive player without even knowing if he'll be able to get the job done.

Thank god someone with sense. We do NOT need another CB, Machete and Abidal will do fine.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Best talents in our B team are defenders. Gomez, Bartra, Muniesa, Montoya, Grimaldo.
Pep doesn't want to block their way into 1st team with signing a defender.

goope

Short version:

Puyol injured, Pique injured, Mascherano suspended for next CL game. In a few days CL knockout stage game. Could easily happen.
Adriano, Abidal, Fontas, Alves.
Do you still think having a more reliable CB in the CL knock out stage would be bad?

goope

Longer version:

A = pro Pep's transfers of summer 2011
B = con Pep's transfers of summer 2011

A: Cesc was an important signing.
B: Why, we have Thiago, Cesc will block his way.
A: We will play a hard and long season. So the more quality we have, the better it is. Plus, competition is good for the team.

A: Not signing another CB was a good decision.
B : Why, in spring of last season it was obvious that our defense is too thin.
A: Another CB will block the way of the youngsters.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense.
Many people who say Cesc is a good signing say on the other hand that another CB is needless. I think both is important.

I'm happy that Cesc and Alexis are here. They are good because we can rely on them in the important games while the youngsters in midfield and forward positions can be integrated in the Copa games to grow slow and steady without pressure. Same thing could happen to the young centre backs. Signing one CB doesn't block the youngsters like Fontas or B team CBs. Masch and Pique will play most of the season. The young CBs could play alongside one of them in the Copa games and learn from them. If one of the both is injured and Puyol is not available (a situation which might happen more often this season than we would like to) then the backup CB could play in CL games and hard league games and the youngsters could play in the easier league games plus, of course, in the Copa games they'd play anyway.

I really don't see how that should block the youngsters. Maybe you can tell me why you think it would block them. Although I think I already know why you say so. It was Pep's decision. You trust in Pep and try to look positive in the future since now we have to deal with it anyway. It's called cognitive dissonance. When something happened you can't change you look for reasons why it was good that it happend to make it easier for you to live with it. I hope that no situation appears like last spring where in a few weeks alomst all of our defenders got injured. I hope me and all the other critics are proven wrong.

ZeeMessi

Perhaps Jordi Alba with Abidal/Maxwell into their 30's - I read recently he may be keen to come over in the not so distant future. Otherwise for our CBs I think/expect a La Masia grad to fill in Puyol's shoes (Fontas?), otherwise yes Hummels is a fantastic CB.

barcaboy15

Kinda torn on whether or not to buy a CB - we seem to need one with all these injuries and Puyol and Abidal nearing the end of their careers but Masch has been so capable that a Pique-Mascherano partnership seems a good option for the future. Both are young, complement eachother well, Masch is similar to Puyol in many ways.

But we're still a bit short at CB - but then there's no point in buying a world-class CB to partner Pique as that means Masch not starting...

So, I guess the smartest option is to just bring Botia back as cover while developing our abundance of youth CBs.

Though I would love to buy Thiago Silva (or Kompany);).
Not gonna happen, I know.:(

ammarfcb

ze special one
Kinda torn on whether or not to buy a CB - we seem to need one with all these injuries and Puyol and Abidal nearing the end of their careers but Masch has been so capable that a Pique-Mascherano partnership seems a good option for the future. Both are young, complement eachother well, Masch is similar to Puyol in many ways.

But we're still a bit short at CB - but then there's no point in buying a world-class CB to partner Pique as that means Masch not starting...

So, I guess the smartest option is to just bring Botia back as cover while developing our abundance of youth CBs.

Though I would love to buy Thiago Silva (or Kompany);).
Not gonna happen, I know.:(

+1. i don't want to miss out on seeing masch play in cb alongside pique.

DucdeOrléans

Thiago Silva to FCB looks like a done deal according to some Italian sources (now Catalan and Spanish as well).

Would be a phenomenal deal if true.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Surprise:

- I like to think one of the reasons I was handed this correspondent position from the start was not because of my C+ humour, but because I actually have a few noteworthy connections back in the old country. With my grandfather having been the Vice President of the club under Sordillo four decades ago, my family has maintained some great contacts in Italy who sometimes provide me with golden information. As you may remember, I broke the news about Ronaldinho joining (and leaving) before it was on the Internet, as well as the Robinho rumours from last year. Point being, the few times I do report rumours, it's because I heard them from people who have very close ties to the organization. (As you may remember I also wrote that Kaka would be coming to Milan. I am still 100% convinced this WOULD have happened had Cassano not insulted Sampdoria's owner, causing Milan to acquire him for free.) Anyways, moving to the point: a source who knows most players in the Serie A, and who is also an important media figure in Italy told my father that Thiago Silva will be sold to Barcelona next year. Before panicking keep this in mind - I am wholeheartedly convinced Milan would be doing this because their wonderful scouts have found a suitable replacement in Brazilian who happens to be a lot younger than our Silva. Either way, it's still a shame that we can't hold on to our most prized assets. Still crossing my finger that something gets in the way of this looming deal.

Source: http://blogs.soccernet.com/milan/arc...a_surprise.php

Home of Barca Fans