Seung Woo Lee

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It might be the first time Fifa came face to face with this problem after writing rules, and they won't be changing rules immediately. Even Blatter said no exceptions for the Barcelona will be made. I'm afraid nothing gonna change unless you move globally, i.e. change FIFA regulations. All La Masia signings last summer were from Spain, except of Poveda from Arsenal. No more Messi, Lee, Kubo type of prospects will be signed.

Seriously? At least half of our best prospects are foreign, not being able to sign any more is going to severely decrease the amount of star talent in the academy. If that's their idea of making a change for this situation, it's gonna create more problems rather than solve any.

Cule4life

The Culest
Seriously? At least half of our best prospects are foreign, not being able to sign any more is going to severely decrease the amount of star talent in the academy. If that's their idea of making a change for this situation, it's gonna create more problems rather than solve any.

Mate FIFA are known for many things but rationality and practicality are not one of them

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Mate FIFA are known for many things but rationality and practicality are not one of them

That itself is obviously true, however this isn't one of those insult-worthy yet insignificant injustices that they pull on a consistent basis to diminish their credibility, this is one that could actually harm the club to a serious level in the future.

Cule4life

The Culest
That itself is obviously true, however this isn't one of those insult-worthy yet insignificant injustices that they pull on a consistent basis to diminish their credibility, this is one that could actually harm the club to a serious level in the future.

Think it's time to cash in on the uefalona and fifalona goodwill we have generated :pep:

Messi10

anyone know when Lee's next game for Barcelona will be????????

i know he just come back from the ivory coast

Ronnie10

FIFA should give at least exception or license to certain trusted clubs like Barcelona. Of course some small teams lure under-aged kids then sell them to bigger clubs. It was football federation of Korea, who approached Barcelona. It's a government organization from Korea and they'll take full responsibility over the fate of Koreans.

ceefoo

I understand that there has to be some guidelines regarding juveniles leaving their homeland to go to a football club in a foreign country. Otherwise you'll get loads of kids from impoverished families being packed off to all corners of the globe because their parents would be prepared to use them as their meal-ticket to a better life. Plus it could be open to abuse and have a negative impact on local talent.

Maybe the criteria that FIFA are enforcing is too generalistic and doesn't take in to account the players individual circumstances. Not every case is the same!?

Do we know if FCB have applied for special dispensation re: SWL? If they can make a case that the kid is on the cusp of the B-team, and that many other top European clubs are courting him, they may be able to argue his case?

:eusa_think: Otherwise, we could try getting his mum a job in La Masia canteen as a dinner lady. :chef:

Even Blatter said no exceptions for the Barcelona will be made. I'm afraid nothing gonna change unless you move globally, i.e. change FIFA regulations.
Did he really say this? Do you have the direct quote?

j0rdii

It might be the first time Fifa came face to face with this problem after writing rules, and they won't be changing rules immediately. Even Blatter said no exceptions for the Barcelona will be made. I'm afraid nothing gonna change unless you move globally, i.e. change FIFA regulations. All La Masia signings last summer were from Spain, except of Poveda from Arsenal. No more Messi, Lee, Kubo type of prospects will be signed.
Fode Fofana 10 years old from GVAV, Holland....

And I think the rules are good. If you take underaged kids to your club, atleast move them with their parents.

Just move his parents here and everything is solved. That is the only reason Kubo is still playing.

Ronnie10

Fode Fofana 10 years old from GVAV, Holland....

And I think the rules are good. If you take underaged kids to your club, atleast move them with their parents.

Just move his parents here and everything is solved. That is the only reason Kubo is still playing.

Obviously you can't just move parents. I'm sure Lee's parents have already moved together with the Lee, when he signed, otherwise you can't register him.

"1. International transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the
age of 18.
2. The following three exceptions to this rule apply:
a) The player’s parents move to the country in which the new club is
located for reasons not linked to football.
"

You can see in this article that player was still banned because his mother moved to Spain after his son signed with local club.

The leading case involving Article 19 involved Paraguayan player Carlos Javier Acuña Caballero. In 2005, Caballero signed a contract with Spanish club Cádiz at the age of 16 from Club Olympia de Paraguay. In order for the player to be validly registered, the Spanish Football Association asked the Paraguayan Football Association to issue an International Transfer Certificate (See Article 9 of FIFA’s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players). However, the Paraguayan Football Association refused to issue an International Transfer Certificate due to non-compliance with Article 19 and so the transfer could not be completed. The Spanish Football Association, at Cadiz’s request, subsequently appealed to FIFA’s Players’ Status Committee relying upon the exception laid down in Article 19 Paragraph 2(a). Interestingly, Caballero’s mother signed an employment contract with a restaurant in Spain a week after the player’s contract with Cadiz was agreed. The family were apparently in a very difficult financial situation and so intended to move to Spain “for reasons not linked to football.” The Players’ Status Committee were not satisfied with this account and effectively concluded that the mother had only moved to Spain as a result of her son’s transfer to Cadiz, thus the exception under Article 19 Paragraph 2(a) did not apply.
Following FIFA’s refusal to register Caballero, Cádiz filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration of Sport (“CAS”). After considering the evidence, CAS followed the decision of FIFA’s Players’ Status Committee and concluded that the mother’s decision to move to Spain was directly linked to the contract Caballero signed with Cadiz. CAS also held that Article 19 was valid as it was proportionate and pursued a legitimate objective. The appeal was, therefore, dismissed and it became the first transfer of a minor rejected under Article 19. (See Càdiz C.F. & Caballero v/FIFA & Asociación Paraguaya de Fútbol CAS 2005/A/955 & CAS 2005/A/956)

Last edited:

j0rdii

Obviously you can't just move parents. I'm sure Lee's parents have already moved together with the Lee, when he signed, otherwise you can't register him.

"1. International transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the
age of 18.
2. The following three exceptions to this rule apply:
a) The player’s parents move to the country in which the new club is
located for reasons not linked to football.
"

You can see in this article that player was still banned because his mother moved to Spain after his son signed with local club.
I think you can, Bobby Adekayne got banned at the same time as Lee and his family still lives in Holland. He joined Barcelona in 2011 and played for almost 2 years without problems.

jklz

Moving the parents only works if this applies:

a) The player’s parents move to the country in which the new club is located for reasons not linked to football."

Ronnie10

I think you can, Bobby Adekayne got banned at the same time as Lee and his family still lives in Holland. He joined Barcelona in 2011 and played for almost 2 years without problems.

I can assure you can't do that. I'm sure that Bobby and any other came with family member. Spanish immigration control like in any other country doesn't allow underaged kids to stay without legal guardian from family, be it grandmother, uncle or etc. All La Masia kids came with family members and were reported to FIFA. In fact it's compulsory to report to FIFA about foreign minors. Just recently FIFA have received some inside information about how kids were transferred and didn't like it.

Last edited:

Antimadridista1

Seung Woo Lee retweeted a tweet from YoungCules showing that :
Bag6bCSCYAA-omT.jpg

:lol:

Home of Barca Fans