Sergio Busquets

Zidane82

Your rating doesn t matter, you re ignoring the facts due to personal attachment, that he is getting slower and his mentality was never of determent type. He is essentially weak.

Pirlo was a deep lying plamaker of the highest order. Xavi type player. It made sense to set the runners around him even at his old age, because he was a conductor plus he had a mean shoot from distance.
Like you said, Busquets is different. Everything he does, DJ can do better. So why keep both of them in the starting 11 AND play DJ out of his natural position? There are no clear, logical benefits.

We have Messi in the attacking line. That demands a lot of coverage from behind. But it s worth it, because his production is insane.
You say Busquets needs to be surrounded by athletic guys. So we have Messi (and Suarez) who needs runners and now, you have Busquets in MF, who also needs runners. Do you realize what
that means? It means you re making compromises in two lines. It will produce consequences for sure. Nasty consequences.

So the question is, what does Busquets bring to the table? Why is he irreplaceable? Does he has some unique skill/ability which no other player has? Like BBZ said, if athleticism around him is the problem, why does he not shine in NT?

You should have read the post above yours before criticising my view on Busqs ;)

kattanib

That was 7+ fricking years ago dude.

It s a nice nostalgic look to the past, but the present is waaay different.

For one thing, Guardiola is gone and we have Valverde. We don t play the same possession based attacking football. There isn t Xavi-Iniesta around, to enhance his abilities. DJ and Arthur are not it.
If he provides confidence, than why do we often look scared? If he creates critical attacking plays, than why do we struggle with MF creativity, since...years and years ago? Plus the dude is a liability in defensive part of the game, which for a DMC is a big thing.
He is also slow and he is soft by default.

If somehow the DJ-Arthur duo becomes the new Xavi-Iniesta and they somehow enhance Busquets abilities in both parts of the game, than i m all for it. I hope the dude produces. But, judging from the last few years he is going over the hill and
keeping him in the first 11 for nostalgic reasons is not a good idea.

EV and his playing style is different, yes, but that doesn’t mean Busque is at fault. For one, EV needs to be more strict when dealing with Messi and have him stay up front without going back deep to midfield and taking the ball from there. Raki cannot open plays unfortunately, but hopefully De Jong on the left side (LCM) can solve this issue and Messi can be more concerned being on the receiving end.

Zidane82

That was 7+ fricking years ago dude.

It s a nice nostalgic look to the past, but the present is waaay different.

For one thing, Guardiola is gone and we have Valverde. We don t play the same possession based attacking football. There isn t Xavi-Iniesta around, to enhance his abilities. DJ and Arthur are not it.
If he provides confidence, than why do we often look scared? If he creates critical attacking plays, than why do we struggle with MF creativity, since...years and years ago? Plus the dude is a liability in defensive part of the game, which for a DMC is a big thing.
He is also slow and he is soft by default.

If somehow the DJ-Arthur duo becomes the new Xavi-Iniesta and they somehow enhance Busquets abilities in both parts of the game, than i m all for it. I hope the dude produces. But, judging from the last few years he is going over the hill and
keeping him in the first 11 for nostalgic reasons is not a good idea.

Is it heck seven years ago ... It’s only recently I’ve noticed the odd mistake here and there and it’s simply because he gets no protection whatsoever from Rakitic..

The top quarterbacks are only as good as the guys protecting them .,

Come on guys it’s reality not rocket science

BBZ8800

Thank you for all that info ..

Busquets has been my favourite player even since Zidane even above Messi . I recall hearing that he was the first name on Pep’s teamsheet week after week .

I still think he’s got a lot more to offer even if he has to adapt somewhat to accommodate FDJ . I just hope we move Raki on soon as he’s had an horrendous effect on Busqs’s play

Xavi is my favorits midfielder of all time, but today I would play Rakitic, Vidal, Arthur or more or less anyone compared to a 39 years old Xavi.

For a comment above you, Kattanib, you said that Barca's CDM needs a specific skills.
But Busi is the first player ever with those characteristics.
Before Busi, our CDMs were Yaya, Edmilson, Van Bommel, Motta, Marquez, Cocu, Davids etc.

True, Busi elevated our play to the next level, but Busi worked only when a Mr. TikiTaka himself (Xavi) and Iniesta played with him.

Once when Xavi has declined, Busi was never the same.
Also, Busi can shine only in 433 (with Xavi).
He can't play in 442, he can't play as a double pivot in 4231.

So, yes, when things around Busi were perfect, he was a level up compared to Edmilson, Van Bonmel, Cocu and others.
But when things are not perfect, he isn't any better than majority of them.
And in a main skill, defending, he is far worse than any traditional CDM.

Also, Busi is currently important for bringing the ball out of the opponent's half.
And we already have 2 players who are good in that: Frenkie and Arthur.

Without Busi, a team would struggle for a few matches.
But then the other guys would find their roles and mechanisms.

Today, it is hard to find one skill in which Busquets is irreplaceable.

kattanib

Honestly, If Messi only was good enough to be trusted not to lose the ball in midfield (which he does in times and causes a counter), playing him as a RCM with De Jong as a LCM and Busquets and CDM would be something worth exploring

Zidane82

Xavi is my favorits midfielder of all time, but today I would play Rakitic, Vidal, Arthur or more or less anyone compared to a 39 years old Xavi.

For a comment above you, Kattanib, you said that Barca's CDM needs a specific skills.
Before Busi, our CDMs were Yaya, Edmilson, Van Bommel, Motta, Marquez, Cocu, Davids etc.

True, Busi elevated our play to the next level, but Busi worked only when a Mr. TikiTaka himself (Xavi) and Iniesta played with him.

So, yes, when things around Busi were perfect, he was a level up compared to Edmilson, Van Bonmel, Cocu and others.

Also, Busi is currently important for bringing the ball out of the opponent's half.

His reading of the game and general link up play are still unsurpassed imho

He just needs protection like every top quarterback dies ..

Andrew M

Honestly, If Messi only was good enough to be trusted not to lose the ball in midfield (which he does in times and causes a counter), playing him as a RCM with De Jong as a LCM and Busquets and CDM would be something worth exploring

Messi doesn't have the stamina to play in the middle

kattanib

So it becomes a question of should Barca bring in a manager with a suited philosophy to the team in where Busquets is highly likely to continue contributing for another two years or so, or should Barca continue building a team that doesn’t include Busquets nor include a future coherent vision under EV? Busquets was never the issue, its the lack of philosophy and vision, the lack of command and charisma by our manager.. which is a reflection of our current board

Judoman

You should have read the post above yours before criticising my view on Busqs ;)

You should stop living in the past and deal with the present. Due to Nostalgia and inability to act we fucked up a large portion of Messi prime. Let s not fuck up his golden years for the same silly reason.

Anyway, i won t argue my point. We will see soon enough if he is better with DJ and Arthur around him. I hope we ll not come back to "arthur/DJ suck" excuse, when Rakitic is gone.

Judoman

So it becomes a question of should Barca bring in a manager with a suited philosophy to the team in where Busquets is highly likely to continue contributing for another two years or so, or should Barca continue building a team that doesn’t include Busquets nor include a future coherent vision under EV? Busquets was never the issue, its the lack of philosophy and vision, the lack of command and charisma by our manager.. which is a reflection of our current board

Actually...both.
Valverde will sooner or latter be gone. And there is a small chance, borthering on illusion, that we ll somehow get a coach, who will unlock Busi s latent abilities, while he is getting older and slower. I don t see that happening.

Since Guardiola there wasn t a manager with "suited philosophy". There were just compromises and hopeful wishing. Luis Enrique dealt with situation by employing
more direct approach to the game. Essentially the task of MF was to give the ball to the MSN trio as fast as possible. That was the most pragmatic option and it worked for a while. That was the best year since Guardiola left and
the build up game back then was nothing compared to Guardiola s Barca. Remember that was with prime Messi-Suarez-Neymar. A monkey could coach that trio. That prime trio is not coming back.

That Guardiola Barca is gone and it s not coming back. What worked than, won t necessarily work now or in the future.

xXKonan

Could a more possession system help Busi? yes, it can but it's clear his legs are on the wane and he's struggling more and more on the defensive side.

To be fair in his case he's been regularly playing top-level football since he was 19 years old wasn't injured a whole lot and rarely was rested as well especially at his current age. that stuff just starts to take its toll and He was never the most athletic guy out there.

MagIX

Thank you for all that info ..

Busquets has been my favourite player even since Zidane even above Messi . I recall hearing that he was the first name on Pep’s teamsheet week after week .

I still think he’s got a lot more to offer even if he has to adapt somewhat to accommodate FDJ . I just hope we move Raki on soon as he’s had an horrendous effect on Busqs’s play

For me his time is passed and we need to look forward. He can still give a lot, but he doesn't have necessarily to be a starter.
I wrote his praises so as not to forget what kind of fantastic player he was and what a legend is for barca.
But time passes for everyone.... Xavi.... Iniesta..... and now...

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Pep or EV are not the only two options.
In "middle" options, Busi is still meh, imo.

He can be at his best ONLY in Pep's team and only surrounded by Xavi.

I don't mean to rude towards Busquets, but to me he is one of those players who is world class ONLY when everything is perfect:
1. when we have a coach who is playing to his strengths
2. when he have a system which relies on his strengths
3. when he has perfect teammates

When you are missing only 1 of these factors, Busi is turning into a meh player.

For example, Frenkie looks like a kind of a player who could play in 442, 451, 433, 352, 4231, in all formations.
He could be a CB, CDM, CM, CAM.
What you have with Busi? He can play well only in a possession based 433 with a lot of movement and with perfect teammates.

Further, crappier players than Busi, like Van Bommel and Edmilson could have played in several different top clubs, in several different systems and formations. And on several different positions (Van Bommel a Cdm and a Cm, Edmilson a Cdm and a Cb)
With Busi, can you imagine him in any other club except at Barca... and of course, in Pep's teams?

He would be meh at RM.
He would be horrible at AM.
Bayern? Meh.
English teams? No way.
Italy? Meh, the same as playing with Rakitic and Vidal.

So, to some extent, Busi is a player who can play in only one team, in only one formation and with a specific type of teammates.
If one factor is gone, he is struggling.

And as others said, he is not Messi and he is not worth changing the whole team only so that he could play well.

Regarding CDMs, I hope that our next CDM will be a classical CDM and not Busi's type, who can play in only one (Pep's Barca) formation/system.

serghei

Yes, Busi is a player who can play at his best only in a specific system. The problem is that at Barcelona we should be playing that system. Not the 'park the bus and hold for dear life' that Valverde had us playing vs Roma and Liverpool.

Of course the decline is also evident, so it's unlikely he's ever going to be world class again.

Home of Barca Fans