Scholes Vs Xavi (Not a direct comparison thread)

Banana-Rama

It should be taken into account that Xavi has always had an an anchorman behind him doing the defensive work so him and Iniesta/Deco etc could have more freedom, Scholes for most of his career at United played in a flat 4-4-2 and was fantastic. I wonder if Xavi could of perfomed like Scholes in a 4-4-2 in a physical league like the Prem, Barca are on easy street most weeks in La Liga. Also look at some video's of all the amazing goals that Scholes has scored, in his pomp he had a phenomenal shot on him, Xavi in his prime has never scored goals like Scholes used to do. In terms of passing range there is no difference between Scholes and Xavi in there prime in my opinion, but Scholes offered more goal threat so I would go with Scholes. As for the argument about International football, Scholes wasn't used properly at International level by managers, he was forced to retire because that moron Sven Eriksen insisted on playing him left wing to shoe horn Gerrard and Lampard into the line-up, also the team-mates Scholes was playing with at International level are no-where near as good as the ones that Xavi has been playing with for Spain so its not a fair argument.

Bergkamp10

Xavi dominates who ever he plays, if he played in the PL he'd still dictate the tempo of the game. I always hear that he'd get less space but he'd create himself space because he's that bloody good. If Fabregas and Modric can then a far superior player in Xavi would too.

Banana-Rama

Xavi dominates who ever he plays, if he played in the PL he'd still dictate the tempo of the game. I always hear that he'd get less space but he'd create himself space because he's that bloody good. If Fabregas and Modric can then a far superior player in Xavi would too.

Im sure he could perform in the Prem but the point is would he be as effective in a 4-4-2 as Scholes was in his prime, personally I don't think so, sure he can pass the ball just as well but he wouldn't score the goals that Scholes did, Xavi has never had that rocket of a shot that Scholes had.

Bergkamp10

Im sure he could perform in the Prem but the point is would he be as effective in a 4-4-2 as Scholes was in his prime, personally I don't think so, sure he can pass the ball just as well but he wouldn't score the goals that Scholes did, Xavi has never had that rocket of a shot that Scholes had.

Hmmm....No, I don't think he would tbh, I'm sure he'd adapt but he wouldn't score anywhere near as many goals. Scholes was a great player but I prefer Xavi, just, because I've seen him live twice and the way he managed to dictate the 2 games amazed me. When you see him live you appreciate him even more.

N

Neil1984

Interesting story Tweeted (or re tweeted) by Gabriele Marcotti.

After the final whistle on Saturday, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Iniesta and Busquets all wanted to swap shirts with Scholes, so they drew straws and Iniesta won and got to swap with him. There is a lot of talk about him retiring so they were feeling like it could be the last time they play against him.

Also, the same story says that Busquets had hung on to the match ball and gave it to Scholes. For players like the 5 mentioned, and the esteem people hold them in, to take time out of their celebrations says a lot. It shows the class and humility of the Barca players for starters. But it also says a lot about the esteem that Scholes is held in amongst his peers and those who have played against him.

Xavi's quote earlier this year backs that up too:

"A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."

Pedram123

Scholes was bloody brilliant.
Let me tell you one thing however.
I have never EVER seen a player like Xavi.
This guy is different, he is something special.

His brain, his mentality, his skills.
Oh my.

During the world cup 2010 semi-final - Spain versus Germany, I was watching the match with SHIT literally falling off my ass.
That's how nervous I was.
My whole body was shaking, and then i see Xavi.
The World cup is the biggest stage in world football, this was a semi-final, and Xavi was SO indescribably calm, that one might have thought he was going to McDonalds for a drive-through.

This guy is something else.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
To answer your question about Scholes, Xavi and the international stage, Scholes is english :lol: failure for the england team is a given, no matter how talented you are :lol:

Seriously success at international level seems to elevate players to to an elite group of player present and past considered to be of legendary status.

There are exceptions for players like Best and Dalglish who found legendary status for their clubs through european club success. As they were unlucky enough to be born in Belfast and Glasgow.

The Scotland team of the 70's (and very early 80's) was brilliant, we just didn't have a top goalie. But in every other area we were very good. Kenny didn't do himself justice at the World Cups.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé

After the final whistle on Saturday, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Iniesta and Busquets all wanted to swap shirts with Scholes, so they drew straws and Iniesta won and got to swap with him. There is a lot of talk about him retiring so they were feeling like it could be the last time they play against him.

Also, the same story says that Busquets had hung on to the match ball and gave it to Scholes. For players like the 5 mentioned, and the esteem people hold them in, to take time out of their celebrations says a lot. It shows the class and humility of the Barca players for starters. But it also says a lot about the esteem that Scholes is held in amongst his peers and those who have played against him.

that's awesome!!

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

Xavi's quote earlier this year backs that up too:

"A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."

Respect.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Guardiola: "I've always admired Paul Scholes, with whom I would have liked to play. For me, he's the best English player in recent times."

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Both are truly great... And they've got class, not like some people who, on the pitch, are one the same level but can't help sleeping around.

Home of Barca Fans