Sandro Rosell resigns, Bartomeu is the new president

JamDav1982

The threats in the English/American media are largely being ignored or buried in the article. The headlines all read that he resigned amidst some type of financial fraud and tax evasion involving Neymar.

I don't understand why Barca wouldn't be upfront about the Neymar fee. What's a few million in taxes for a club as rich as Barcelona? You make 500m euro a year, this shouldn't be a problem to pay. Very stupid if Rosell got involved in this.

Where are you seeing that?

I doubt this will even get many headlines in the UK press and people wont bother too much about it.

F

Flavia

Barcelona's image is already damaged, regardless of the actual reasons for his resignation. Foreign media are already reporting that the FCB president resigned after the scandal regarding Neymar's transfer.

But it could be worse, if he didn't resign. As the trial will go on and if rosell still were the president, it'd tarnish even more the club. Jordi Cases filed the suit against Rosell, not the club. That's the main reason he stepped out.

Galning

The threats in the English/American media are largely being ignored or buried in the article. The headlines all read that he resigned amidst some type of financial fraud and tax evasion involving Neymar.

I don't understand why Barca wouldn't be upfront about the Neymar fee. What's a few million in taxes for a club as rich as Barcelona? You make 500m euro a year, this shouldn't be a problem to pay. Very stupid if Rosell got involved in this.

I don't think it was to evade taxes. More likely to keep his image clean. 27M, which was the first number released, later corrected to 57 because nobody believed it, was okay for the fans. Imagine Rosell coming out saying he splashed 100M on Neymar when we desperately needed to strengthen other areas in our team.

CityFanInPeace

Where are you seeing that?

I doubt this will even get many headlines in the UK press and people wont bother too much about it.

I'm reading primarily on ESPN. They have a headline "Barca president Rosell set to resign over Neymar saga". New York Times says "Barcelona President resigns amid Neymar lawsuit". ESPN tv did a segment about it and said nothing of any threats.

The first time I heard of threats was coming to this forum. The entire articles are about Neymar.

Weirdly it's also in Forbes, a financial publication

FC Barcelona President Quits Over Neymar Corruption Scandal: Barca Paid $150M For Brazilian Star
http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontev...esident-quits-over-neymar-corruption-scandal/

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Here in Brazil everything is being reported. The threats and the lawsuit.

JamDav1982

I don't think it was to evade taxes. More likely to keep his image clean. 27M, which was the first number released, later corrected to 57 because nobody believed it, was okay for the fans. Imagine Rosell coming out saying he splashed 100M on Neymar when we desperately needed to strengthen other areas in our team.

When did the club ever say they paid 27m for him and that had to be corrected as people didn't believe them?

Genuinely don't remember that.

From what is looks like to me is that they paid 57m to buy 100% of Neymars rights and that is normally what is documented by clubs as the transfer fee. The other fees like agents etc are not usually reported but in this case those extra fees have been huge to his father, agents or whoever else.

Is don't think the club will have done anything legally wrong but may have misled the members on the cost of Neymar by not mentioning the huge extra fees.

If Barcelona are made to disclose this then every other club should also.

Galning

Here in Brazil everything is being reported. The threats and the lawsuit.

In Belgium too and I'm really surprised by that. Normally they jump on every Marca/AS rumour and make it sound like it's a fact by stating "According to the Spanish media" :lol: I thought they'd go bonkers about a Barcelona scandal. But maybe they're waiting until tomorrow.

Centrocampista23

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 14m
Rosell finally resigned and one of his reasons were alleged death threats to him and his family. I don't buy it.
Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 13m
Laporta managed to expunge the Barcelona ultras from the Camp Nou while enduring death threats and even a clear assassination attempt.

F

Flavia

Bes8AEFCYAA4AFe.jpg:large

Bes_ewsCUAAdGZa.jpg:large

i_bleed_blaugrana

IMHO, I think this whole situation exposes how much of a sham the current way transfers in general are conducted. From what I understood, as early as 17 both Barca and Madrid were literally throwing money at him in nothing short of an arms race lol. All of this was of course under the table and is a strict no-no according to FIFA regulations. For example, if anyone remembers Gael Kakuta and Chelsea's little saga a few years back, they got heavily sanctioned over a much smaller yet similar incident. My point being is that every big club does this on some sort of scale. The complexity of his third-party ownership as well really muddled the waters with the transparency of this as well. Particularly if they really did pay up to 95 million to Neymar, then 40 million of that was basically a bribe to get him to come here which is why I'm very worried about Rosell stepping down. But all I'm saying is that I think they just need to reform how this sort of business is done in general because Madrid are just as guilty as we are in this whole sham of a transfer.

From what I've gathered and heard, as far as criminal activity, I think he is fine. If anything Neymar's father's firm might be dealing with more of the brunt of that end. The fact that the "confidentially clause" was insisted upon by Neymar's side and not ours definitely helps his case. What I'm more worried about is what UEFA/FIFA will think of all of this. If it comes out 100% that we are guilty of doing anything fraudulent or not on the up and up, technically speaking Neymar's contract is invalid may become null and void and they could rule him a free agent. On top of that, there would most likely be transfer sanctions placed upon the club as well so we better hope La Masia produces another batch of world beaters or we could be potentially screwed.

^^Obviously all of that is worst case scenario and I hope Rosell is telling the truth, innocent before proven guilty. However, as said before, when there is smoke there is fire. Especially since right after they begin the investigation, he steps down is very concerning and not a good sign by any means.

If he does get charged with anything it will end his acrimonious end as perhaps one of the worst presidents in our club's history. I hope this isn't the final nail in our coffin with our reign but guys, I don't see this incident ending well for us. Its a shame that adversity outside of the pitch is what could end what we had on the pitch. I just hope the players can rise above it all.

Lastly, I think a lot of the blame in all of this stems from Neymar's father. The fact that he pratically ransomed his son to the highest bidder and got paid 40 million as a personal "signing bonus" is rather sickening. It's also sad because Neymar totally seems like a legit person who just wants to play football and do his thing. If his career is jeopardized due to his father being a greedy a$$hole, it would really be a shame to the footballing world.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans