Samuel Umtiti

Garrus

He naturally should get a good pay-raise that correlates to his current performances and importance to the team, But the upgraded salary should adhere to the current salary ladder in the squad, And it should not and will not be broken just to meet the demands of EPL teams like MU, If umtiti insists we meet their offer, He can glady, Fuck off to MU.

It's that simple.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He shouldn't be making more than Pique. Period. There is something called longevity and seniority.

60 mil. is not a lot in today's market but it's not peanuts either. Especially for a center back.

xXKonan

Francesc Aguilar says Umtiti doesn't want to leave and his brother and Agent Yannick Umtiti is trying to get a solid wage deal for his renewal.

LeeRomeno

Yes, nowadays Umtiti's clause is too low and it's easy to blame the club for that but things are not that simple.

I'm sure Barça would gladly put higher clauses to all of their players contracts but how many players would sign contracts with unrealistic clauses (especially if they also don't come with much higher wages)? Players/their agents wants to keep their options open if circumstances changes. Release clauses are meant to be working in players favour so they have more negotiating power than clubs. It's La Liga's fault to not protect their clubs better and get rid of release clauses. La Liga has lost a lot of good players because of them.

It's easy to be smart in hindsight but when Umtiti signed I don't think his clause was set too low both based on his expected role in the team and market. He was signed as a backup to Masche with a HOPE to become a starter but nobody knew if he'd really make it. Other players like Digne, Cillessen, Denis who were also signed in summer 2016 have similar clauses but nobody is complaining they are too low because they have not made it as starters. Gomes and Paco have higher clauses but both wanted to get out of Valencia so they were prepared to sign contracts with higher clauses and they were also more proven at that time. Paco has played 13 games for Spain and Gomes was a starter for Portugal NT at the start of Euro 2016 before Umtiti even made his NT debut. And for that to happen he needed Mathieu's injury and Rami's suspension.

Another thing, world record transfer fee in June 2016 was 100M€ (Pogba was sold for 105M in August). Most expensive CB at that time was David Luiz and Rio Ferdinand's transfer from Leeds to United in 2002 was still second on that list. A month after we bought Umtiti City paid around 55M€ for John Stones but that was a transfer inside EPL, where prices are always inflated, especially when it comes to British players.

Umtiti's role has changed and his clause would be nowadays low even in "June 2016" market because he's now an established starter for Barça and NT and I'm sure club had plans to adress that even before last summer. But something that nobody could realistically expect was there would be a 200% inflation on the market in just one year thanks to Q$G and Neymar so now prices of almost all players have doubled which means getting Umtiti for 60M even a bigger steal than before.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is just usual Sport BS during NT break and Umtiti will renew after World Cup or maybe even before that.

Good post

Givenchy

We'll meet him half way. no chance he takes such a huge step down at United even with more money offered, we have a chance at winning all trophies available, they are getting knocked out the CL by Sevilla :lol:

mecka

If he wants to ruin his career for couple millions can go to manu, he cant be making more money than pique, alba. I dont know how much roberto`s salary now is but umtiti should get similar. We now are in little trouble with our salaries, cant pay to everyone xxxxxx amount that is requested from player agents.

ASordidGod

Confident he'll stay. Really hope he does; big fan. But not sure it's worth breaking wage bill over. If he goes for sixty, I say we get Alderwierald?? (spl) for 40 or whatever, and depending on Vermaelen and Mina, how much trust Valverde has in them, maybe try for De Ligt for long term. Like I say, I would be very sorry to see him go, but we'd survive. No one's bigger than the club.

Raketa10

We are comparing defensive qualities and that month was full of important games.
Yes he is overrated.

No he is not. He is basically our only cheap and good signing in last 4 or 5 years. Defensive qualities of Vermaelen are outstanding when he is healthy so he is not comparable to some young guy from Sevilla. Saying that we could easily replace Umtiti is just ignorant. If finding young and talented player who can so easily excel is so damn easy how come we ended up with Chygrynskiy, Gomes, Hleb, Denis, Song, Geovanni, Henrique, Keirrison etc. Umtiti was a f... jack pot considering our transfer history.

Last edited:

5ergio_Busquets

No he is not. He is basically our only cheap and good signing in last 4 or 5 years. Defensive qualities of Vermaelen are outstanding when he is healthy so he is not comparable to some young guy from Sevilla. Saying that we could easily replace Umtiti is just ignorant.

If you think he deserves 9m net salary then you are definitely overrating him.

xXKonan

Not overrated, he's a complete CB. Best in Europe.

And fuck Sport. I don't buy their BS.
Yeah and the funny thing is Sport has ran quite a bit of negative Umtiti stories in the past.

I remember the one story where it claimed Lucho didn't want him as Sport were riding the Marquinhos train.

And the other story where Valverde wasn't impressed with him during Preseason and wanted to bring in Inigo Martinez as a possible starter.

And this story is framing Umtiti as a greedy dude who is willing to walk away from the club of his dreams way to easily due to a wage dispute. I think the truth is Umtiti wants to stay and they are working to meet in the middle and it's not as complicated as Sport is making it out to be.

Hell they are the only paper reporting this.

Home of Barca Fans