Samuel Umtiti

LABarcaFan

Yeah for free we are fighting for Kurzawa LOL.

Sell him for 20mil.

In the American professional sport there is a rule which allow teams to annul players contracts if they have not played at certain percent of the games.The Los Angeles Lakers for example cutt off the contract of one of the best centers in the NBA - DeMarcus Cousins for that reason at the start of COVID-19. I wish that was the case here with Dembele and Umtiti.

Umtiti's contract expires in 2023, when he will be 29 y.o. His release clause is set at 500 m. I don't think there is a team in the world which will agree to pay that amount. But, we can rework Umtiti's contract with his and his agent aproval and lower his wages. That can allow some clubs from the Persian Gulf or China to take him on loan with obligation to pay his salary. I think that is possible with mutual agreement from both side. But, no matter where he plays, the biggest problem is to stay healthy and it seems like he cant do that. The same apply to Dembele.

I would guarantee if we let his contract expire, every single top club in the world would be chasing him.

What that exactly means? His contract will expire in 3 years. At that time he will be already 29 and you think every top club in the world will be chasing him? LOL!

Newcomer

You may be from France to defend Umtiti and Dembele with their current situation. Look. No disrespect to both of them. I know before this injuries they were solid national team players. Aside from whatever you have said for the city of Barcelona ( which is top 3 in the world ) the beautiful Mediterranean weather, the healthy paychecks every week, even if they don't play, aside from playing ( actually just watching ) with the best player in the world, these two should have some kind of sense of humanity and responsibility. Two years in a row, both of them are always injured with zero contribution to the team. The training seasons just got started and on the second day, Samuel got injured again. I mean, enough is enough. Every Barcelona fan knows that these two will never get any healthier and they will never have three games in a row played without injury. So, if they have that sense which I mentioned, they should take a year off, heal their injuries once for ever and then they should start from these exotic places. Dembele (22) and Umtiti (26) are considered still young, so they have time to come back to the big stages in Europe.

I don't defend them because they are French and i'm French. In fact, you can look at my comments when Demb?l? was linked to PSG last year and i was praying hard he would never come close to my club. I would actually hate to have them at my club. But they are Bar?a players, not PSG players.

What i'm saying is from their perspectives, they have actually no incentive to leave. Why would they ? You get big fat paycheck in best working environment in the industry with the best player in the world. They are living the dream. Why would you leave that to go to China, Qatar or Japan ? I'm sure i would just stay where i am. The situation is different if they were in Coutinho situation (able to play but disappointing). Both of them are always injured, thus playing time is not even a problem for them. And playing time is one of the biggest reasons a player would leave a top club like Bar?a (they can't complain about their wages, they are already "robbing" you).

If you see them talking, being at Bar?a is the apex of their career, why would they downgrade ? You had the same situation with Rakitic who was adamant about staying; now the situation has changed because of Frenkie purchase and his lower playing time.

I can understand you are fed up with them. It reminds me of Jese. Useless player who is freeloading at PSG and can't even have a successful loan at Stoke, Sporting or Las Palmas. I can't stand that player. Only difference is Umtiti and Demb?l? are/were actually talented and put up some solid/promising performances while Jese was useless from the start at PSG. Also the fact Demb?l? cost a fortune too.

They do have that sense of humanity and responsability but not towards Bar?a but towards themselves and their family. They are not only players but also people and Griezmann said that he chose Bar?a in big part because his family was settled and he feels good in Spain. Recently, Di Maria and his wife explained they hated everything about Manchester and England. The situation went sour very fast and to this day, he can't stand MU. China was an option for good players when they could pay absurd wage but this is not the case anymore. Japan is irrelevant for european players bar Vissel Kobe due to their special bond with Bar?a. And Qatar... Do i need to say more ? You go there to do winter training camps, that is all.

Newcomer

I would guarantee if we let his contract expire, every single top club in the world would be chasing him.

They could take the gamble but it is risky.

I could see the Italian clubs trying since they do like their free transfers (this is how Juventus achieved their rebuilding) or clubs like Arsenal/Newcastle post takeover.

MTL_Barca

Seems very unlikely a 26 year old that regularly plays for Barca and France NT would just go to China or the likes.

You can't just expect players to leave as soon as you want them gone no matter the destination or offer.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Doubt that someone will pay 35 mil for player that don't have part of his knee...I think he does not have cartilage as I read somewhere.
When they look at his medical injury list, they will see that he didn't play 3 games in a row for 3 years.

IIRC it is the opposite, he has a tear and club recommendations was to make a surgery to remove that part, he refused. Opted for conservative treatment instead.

He would be 30 (almost) by the time his contract expires, if his injuries continue I doubt even Lyon would be after him.

Messi983

The only club who would pay any significant money for Umtiti with his injury history is Barca.

Well, Zubi is still a SD at Marseille, maybe he's interested. :vermaelen:

Messi983

Well, in club's defense we renewed Umtiti's contract before the 2018 WC. He had some injury problems in 2017/18 season but still had an overall good season and there were no signs showing his career will go this way. And we can't blame the club for Umtiti being stupid enough to play through injuries at the World Cup. Of course in retrospective renewing him turned out to be a bad move but at that time it was an understandable decision by the club to renew a 24 year old player who was seen as a future leader of our defense, especially considering he had a very low release clause (something like 60m IIRC) at that time and was linked to many clubs.

So I can't really blame the club for renewing Umtiti's contract when they did. Extending Alba and Busi for 5 years when they were both (almost) 30 was a much bigger mistake.

LABarcaFan

Well, in club's defense we renewed Umtiti's contract before the 2018 WC. He had some injury problems in 2017/18 season but still had an overall good season and there were no signs showing his career will go this way. And we can't blame the club for Umtiti being stupid enough to play through injuries at the World Cup. Of course in retrospective renewing him turned out to be a bad move but at that time it was an understandable decision by the club to renew a 24 year old player who was seen as a future leader of our defense, especially considering he had a very low release clause (something like 60m IIRC) at that time and was linked to many clubs.

So I can't really blame the club for renewing Umtiti's contract when they did. Extending Alba and Busi for 5 years when they were both (almost) 30 was a much bigger mistake.

Yes. You are right. We can't blame the board for renewing his contract. It was business decision. But for Pique, Alba and Busy, it is all their mistake.

Batistuta9

Yes. You are right. We can't blame the board for renewing his contract. It was business decision. But for Pique, Alba and Busy, it is all their mistake.

This board, for all their faults, have rewarded the long serving players at the club and treated them well when they decided to leave. Xavi, iniesta and even mascherano had nice farewells.

It's also looking like Messi, busquets, pique will all leave on their terms, which is good in a way for all they have given to the club, but it is starting to have a negative effect on the team performance. Look at real Madrid, they got rid of Raul and casillas, probably their 2 biggest legends so fast when they decided they weren't good enough anymore

LABarcaFan

Seems very unlikely a 26 year old that regularly plays for Barca and France NT would just go to China or the likes.

You can't just expect players to leave as soon as you want them gone no matter the destination or offer.

"26 y.o. that regularly plays for Barca and France NT" ??? LOL............ I'll take this as a joke and leave it without answering.

If a player can not contribute for the team he has signed for, he has to leave. It is not Barca's fault that he can not stay injury free. He has been for so long out of actions and on the second day of training got injured again. And you are willing to keep him around? Of course, you are not the one who pays his wages, other ways, you would kick him out long time ago.

MTL_Barca

"26 y.o. that regularly plays for Barca and France NT" ??? LOL............ I'll take this as a joke and leave it without answering.

If you like it or not, whenever he is healthy he still gets his chances. He still got invited to NT in 2019 and is 3rd CB for Barca, so as of now he isn't completely out of it yet. He probably still believes in recovery and coming back, and if he is injured it doesn't matter if he is injured in China or Barcelona. So why should he follow your advice and to go to China or something? He can just stay injured in Barcelona with his contract until 2023.

No matter how hard you try to talk it into reality it's not that easy to move players, we've seen this time and time again at Barca. If it was easy to sell everyone you want to get rid of Umtiti or Rakitic would be long gone, Arda would've been sold ages ago, Coutinho wouldn't be on loan etc.

I hope he leaves as well, but it might be difficult depending on his expectations for his next club.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Before his injury at that time Umtiti was a top three cb in the world. His buyout clause was ridiculously low. You can't blame the club.

Home of Barca Fans