Samuel Umtiti

khaled_a_d

[tw]1077178546399920129[/tw]

To be honest, his career as a world-class CB seems over and he has to be sold this or next summer before it becomes too late to sell him.

No one knows how serious is his injury, he could very well return to his best after surgery, it has more implication on the long term (could either shorten his career, or force him to have Joint replacement at his 40's)
And if it is serious right now, no club will overrule their medical exam like we did with Vermaelen

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, a mistake in hindsight not to operate. With so much extra time on his hands one would have expected he'd take Dembele under his wing but alas.

Anyways, getting a new CB is a must in either case as Pique is on and off depending how interested he is in football on any given day.

D10S_JC

He is saying goodbye to this season if he is going to surgery. I think the club will continue the conservative treatment as it is not affordable to lose him.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Umtiti is a great player (usually) but he is not a generational talent IMO. We will do fine without him should his problems be chronic. There are plenty of talented CB's out there in France alone. He has been very poor this season but obviously this must be due to his injury problems but he was not convincing in the latter half of last season either. Could be due to his injury problems as well.

I don't know the full details of his condition but if it is a chronic condition it's hard to tell whether a surgery this summer would have been a better idea or not. Nevertheless a surgery soon looks very likely to occur if the ongoing conservative treatment will have no effect.

Obviously I would love to see a fit Umtiti for the reminder of the season but I do believe that we will be fine if Piqué and Lenglet remain injury free and Vermaelen (the hope is smaller in the case of Thomas, lol) and Murillo can be able to contribute when needed or when called into action, if I had to make a guess.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I think the club is Comfortable with the fact even if Umtiti's problems are chronic they are willing to bet on Lenglet being the long-term LCB assuming he doesn't have problems himself. Despite perhaps Lenglet being considered the lesser talent than Umtiti is.

Don't mind that really, but we seriously need to get a good talented RCB to succeed Pique though. Just hope we manage to get De Ligt this summer.

Leo_Messi

I think the club is Comfortable with the fact even if Umtiti's problems are chronic they are willing to bet on Lenglet being the long-term LCB assuming he doesn't have problems himself. Despite perhaps Lenglet being considered the lesser talent than Umtiti is.

Don't mind that really, but we seriously need to get a good talented RCB to succeed Pique though. Just hope we manage to get De Ligt this summer.

No doubt about that. The good thing is that there are plenty of talented CB's out there. De Ligt would obviously tick a lot of boxes and he is also my preferred choice but it would not be the end of the world if we missed out on him.

The problem with Umtiti possibly being out for the reminder of the season is that we are a injury to especially Piqué (who has played more this season than ever before in any other season this early in the season) or Lenglet away from being in big, big trouble. Vermaelen can never be trusted and Murillo is an unknown and quite frankly an average player for our standards IMO. Unfortunately I don't think that Umtiti can escape surgery. This is probably the only reason why Murillo was loaned.

Raketa10

If things don't improve until mid January he should go to surgery or he might lose more than just this season. This is too serious, it's obviously not about this season only but his career could be jeopardized. He is definitely our best CB so people who are saying that we could easily replace him are nuts.

wisconsincule

I wish he would have had the surgery immediately. If he had it a few months ago he could have possibly came back this season. I miss him out there.

PhilS

Surgery rarely helps at all for this condition. Natural healing is his best shot, may take several years. Very tough for such a young pro.

Jombi

He was the best CB in the world for me before his injury. Absolute monster for us. A huge loss if his career is over for us.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If Umtiti's career is in doubt that we absolutely have to get a world class CB. De Ligt is drifting away by the day, Pavard doesn't look like an option, who can we get?

Joan

If Umtiti's career is in doubt that we absolutely have to get a world class CB. De Ligt is drifting away by the day, Pavard doesn't look like an option, who can we get?

Why do you think Pavard doesn't look like an option? We've been linked to him in the last few days. In my opinion, however, neither of them is 'worl class'.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Why do you think Pavard doesn't look like an option? We've been linked to him in the last few days. In my opinion, however, neither of them is 'worl class'.

Sure, perhaps "having the potential to be world class one day" is the more accurate description.

I think I read someone posting that our club no longer considers Pavard as an option?

Joan

Saw on reddit he's close to Barcelona return, according to Valverde. Says he expects him to start training with the team in a few weeks.

Home of Barca Fans