Ronald Koeman

xXKonan

Cat Radio says Koeman is in favor of coming due to the uncertainty with the Euros.

He has the Club accomplishments and legend status. I'm willing to give him a chance if it meant him going drill sergeant on this team and getting rid of the old guard.

Messi983

His doctor is in Barca. Guy has cardiac issues iirc.
He seem close to Bartou tbh, I won't take anything from the whole "he is in Barca"

Yeah, not really sure this is the right job for him at the moment for that reason. But he obviously knows his health status much better than anyone of us.

I'm lukewarm on him but if he's a choosen one I'll give him a chance and wish him the best. He'll need all the luck in our current situation.

JohnN

Not sure what to make of this. I don't really know anything about his managerial abilities or accomplishments. If it's true he is a hard ass and not taking shit that is a good start, but why would the board hire a guy like that?

Tackle

u3Ts7W4.jpg

Koeman, very close

Barca and the Dutchman are finalizing the contract details for his signing

They want him to sign for 2 years, but the 2nd conditioned for the new board

Welcome!

Don't expect anything at all from him. Keep it somewhat competitive in La Liga and don't lose by more than 3 goals in the CL and I will consider his tenure a success. He is going to be taking the job with the club in a very precarious position and everything set up for him to fail.

Big name from the past and I am certainly more confident in him than Setien. Let's see what he can do and give him a chance.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Not sure what to make of this. I don't really know anything about his managerial abilities or accomplishments. If it's true he is a hard ass and not taking shit that is a good start, but why would the board hire a guy like that?

My priorities at the moment are;
Does he love the club?
Does he understand the club?
Does he know about he mess we’re in?
Is he strong-willed to deal with it?

In a way it’s similar to when he took over his national team. The Dutch were in a similar situation as he one we’re in and I believe what made him successful in that job was he obviously cared about the team, knew exactly the situation it was in and wasn’t afraid to take on the challenge.

JohnN

My priorities at the moment are;
Does he love the club?
Does he understand the club?
Does he know about he mess we’re in?
Is he strong-willed to deal with it?

In a way it’s similar to when he took over his national team. The Dutch were in a similar situation as he one we’re in and I believe what made him successful in that job was he obviously cared about the team, knew exactly the situation it was in and wasn’t afraid to take on the challenge.

I appreciate the last part most of all.

All the managers we approached in January, turned us down out of fear of failure and that shows 2 things:

1. Plain simple logic: as this team was dead and it was obvious there are deep political issues more than anything.
2. Gutlessness: Except Xavi who actually has a plan about coming back and a political agenda to go along with it, the others were just too scared to take over, which would mean they would succumb to the player's and boards wills, just like EV and Setien. The last one, took the job because it was a golden opportunity for him no matter what.

MTL_Barca

Well even if he is strong enough he's still stuck with the amigos. Coach alone can't break up the structure of the squad on it's own, way too many old/powerful players and not enough options.

No matter how big your balls are it's not gonna be pretty in the dressing room if you suddenly bench Suarez, Busi, Pique etc all at once but still keep them around. Especially if results are shaky what could very well happen if you play with a lot of youngsters.

Board HAS to support any change the coach does and get out some players.

JohnN

Well even if he is strong enough he's still stuck with the amigos. Coach alone can't break up the structure of the squad on it's own, way too many old/powerful players and not enough options.

No matter how big your balls are it's not gonna be pretty in the dressing room if you suddenly bench Suarez, Busi, Pique etc all at once but still keep them around. Especially if results are shaky what could very well happen if you play with a lot of youngsters.

Board HAS to support any change the coach does and get out some players.

Results will probably be bad, but that should be expected after a total cleanup. Fans most of all should be ready for that.
I don't feel any of the seniors have any more power left to bitch and whine after that last performance.

MTL_Barca

Results will probably be bad, but that should be expected after a total cleanup. Fans most of all should be ready for that.
I don't feel any of the seniors have any more power left to bitch and whine after that last performance.

Maybe not power but they won't shut up that's for sure :lol: I just don't see the team forming new hierarchy with great chemistry as long as the old guys are around.

Will take some time either way though, even if the board wanted to there is no way to just quickly offload Suarez and the boys. Also need some replacements as well. Next season won't be pretty, whoever takes that job won't have it easy that's for sure.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
While the challenge is indeed great, there are some things going in his favor. Everyone understands the situation we’re in and the challenges awaiting him. As long as he remains frank I believe the fans will definitely stay on his side and he actually has a better chance at dealing with the old guard. Main thing is he better not show any weakness or lack of spine.

His first speech to the players, board, fans should be about Saving this Club and that it’ll take a collective effort. The main challenge is about Bartomeu and as long as he remains I’m afraid there will be no collective effort.

JohnN

His first speech, provided he comes, should be:
"Good morning guys. This is the game plan: We have to average 110km per game as a team. Anyone who is not able to make a 2m pass, control easy balls, make runs or press will be considered a bench option. The average squad age for every game will be 26yo no matter what. Good talk. Lets do some sprints for a couple of hours.

Morten

I dont understand, why hire a new manager before the board is gone, before certain things have been done first.
Isnt he basically set up to fail?

Andresito

Staff member
It would suck if we'd take him from the NT only to sack him a year later.

He needs mandate if he's to become successful. The cleaning out of the seniors should be done ASAP but with a long term project in mind.
The issue I have is him sitting down with current board and laying out a plan, only for someone else to come in, be it coach or board and further delay the new project.

Home of Barca Fans