Ronald Koeman

vegitot

Or he keeps Koeman if Barca finish top four and show development throughout season.... in deluded belief can get Pep in 2022.

Pep said multiple times that his days at Barca were over. He did a lot both as a player and a coach. Even think about coaching national team after Man city career.

Daisymorr

I dont think Koeman is the guy to bring us back to winning ways but I am not sure any manager could achieve that with the current squad of players.

I would love Antonio Conte passion and drive from the sidelines but I know his style doesn't fit with our club. I just think he would get the absolute best out of the players we have.

Birdy

Conte is a top coach, but terrible idea for Barca: he will demand marque signings and cash splashing, as well as a massive wage for himself

You have put up a list of only six managers you think can manage Barcelona better than Cow-man. I think there are a lot of better options available.
As I do not work with football I can't tell about all of them, but I believe Xavi is one of them. If you don't believe in Xavi, you will have to come up with an argument that isn't built around ten Hag and Flick being much superior and more proven managers.

I have explained in series of sheet-long posts in the past why Xavi right now is a terrible idea.
I will not explain again in detail, I will just give you in 4 bullet-points the main reasons against:

1) Legendary WC player does NOT mean legendary WC coach. Look at all the flop coaches out there that were legends as players.
On the contrary, empirical evidence thus far says that top of the top coaches were never top of the top as players, Cryuff is an exception to the rule

2) Barca-DNA coach does not mean shit. There are Barca-DNA coaches that are WC (call me Pep) and there are Barca-DNA coaches that will never rise to a level of a top club.
These credentials alone are simply not enough

3) Xavi comes out in his interviews as pretty dogmatic. He sounds nice and flashy when he explains the principles theoretically, but when he goes on to give examples of how to apply these principles, you get the sense that he 'does not get it': he assumes that the same tactics and same formation from the golden days of 08-12 would be enough to create a super-team again. He does not seem to understand how football has evolved the last 10 years
The worst part is all the 'remarks' he makes about players, such as that Busi is still the best DM around, that Pogba is not 'technical enough' (lol) and all that..
That is enough of a red flag about both the tactics and the personnel selection he will employ if given the chance here..

4) Last, but not least, his career selection is worrisome. He is hiding in the cozy and rich corner of Doha, waiting just to coach Barca and avoiding exposure in football at top level. His ideal plan is to stay there until 2022, then jump to the Barca job and stay here for ever. That's ridiculous!

His rejection of the Dortmund job and the Brazil NT job alongside Tite is telling. If I were Laporta I would never employ someone who rejects such jobs to stay in Qatar.
He should first test his ideas in Europe, at least in a Europa League level team, and then try to make the next step.
Pochetino for instance went to So'ton before taking the Spurs job, and then taking the PSG job. There is a ladder to climb first before landing the top job.

On the contrary, it shows an arrogance and a hereditary privilege that he is free-riding on to take the Barca job. And this is not a good sign about how inflated his ego is.
How on earth does he think that? Even Pep, who could stay at Barca for life, went to different leagues to prove himself.

These are the 4 points. It was not possible to prove them wrong in the debate here in the past, so I will most likely save some time and not go into a full debate about them again.

PS: IMO Koeman stays until the A-listers become available, which will most likely be in 2023. There will not be many coach openings in summer 2022.
If Laporta can convince Pep to take over in 2023, you keep Koeman until then.
If Tuchel becomes free in 2023 (most likely), you keep Koeman until then
etc
Besides, if Koeman shows the same improvement as last season from the dead team that Valverde delivered, and even more integration of youngsters, he deserves to stay one more year.

Bobo32

1 and 2) No one has claimed this, Don Quijote.
3) These are fine and promising opininions regarding Busquets and Pogba. He doesn't "understand" that football "has changed", but he understands that people were saying exactly the same thing before he destroyed football as a player.
4) You talk like a fag; "his carreer selection is worrisome", and you know nothing about his plan.

Koeman hasn't shown any improvement whatsoever to me. It looked a bit promising in his first couple of games, but since then it has been shit all the way with no improvement.

vegitot

Koeman will leave after this season when his contract expires unless he will achieve something spectacular like winning Liga. He is not Laporta's plan (if he has) from beginning.

If Xavi changes his mind and decides to coach Barca next season, Laporta would welcome him here though he doesn't rate Xavi highly.

Btw, there is no different from Koeman's team now except there are more youngaters in the team.

vegitot

1 and 2) No one has claimed this, Don Quijote.
3) These are fine and promising opininions regarding Busquets and Pogba. He doesn't "understand" that football "has changed", but he understands that people were saying exactly the same thing before he destroyed football as a player.
4) You talk like a fag; "his carreer selection is worrisome", and you know nothing about his plan.

Koeman hasn't shown any improvement whatsoever to me. It looked a bit promising in his first couple of games, but since then it has been shit all the way with no improvement.

What did people say to Xavi back then??? From someone who consider Arthur is much more creative than Xavi then you don't understand Xavi either.

Messigician

Laporta is furious with Koeman, he is on thin ice after his friends's comment on top of the agency drama amid rumours of his sacking.

Lluis Canut (Koeman's friend): The worst thing they can do for a kid like Riqui Puig is to play minutes after a request from President Laporta.

Stunning!

Mateka

Surely Koeman is bullet proof this season. The first without Messi. The first with financial meltdown in players salaries. A season of who can we get out of the door for cash, anybody? A manager who then for the rest of the season has to make bricks without straw. This season he deserves to be bullet proof.
His contract ends this season. What happens next season, that is open for discussion. Whether Koeman or another is the future manager?
But for now, he deserves to be bullet proof.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Starting the season with Koeman just to sack him soon after wouldn't make any sense, so he'll probably just stay, win nothing and not get a new contract.

serghei

We can't be spending anything on his sacking. We have to wait this season for the contract to end, shake hands and find ourselves a new manager to last more years. Make it right this time.

Messigician

Koeman takes a dig at Laporta further worsening the relations between the two

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-192159_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-192159_Twitter.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 18

Home of Barca Fans