Real Madrid

Messigician

Slow football doesn't work anymore, nobody told that to Julen.

Undefeated in all 20 games he managed with Spain, 6-1 Argentina. And we play what could be considered slow tiki taka.

Fact is Madrid's problems go beyond the manager good reason every manager rejected them.

Last edited:

Morten

Undefeated in all 20 games he managed with Spain, 6-1 Argentina. Abd we play what could be considered slow tiki taka.

Fact is Madrid's problems go beyond the manager good reason everyone rejected them.

I said before the match that this result was obvious for anyone with a clue about football, Perez penny-pinching is the main reason, while Barca actually spent big money on strengthening their squad.

Raketa10

I said before the match that this result was obvious for anyone with a clue about football, Perez penny-pinching is the main reason, while Barca actually spent big money on strengthening their squad.

I agree with you, Real had to strengthen squad last summer and they actually did nothing. IMHO Hazard was a must buy. I doubt Conte can change things so quickly but we'll see.

Trickykid

It depends what we mean by forfeit. Like I said, Flo still doesn't like us being low down and he openly stated on the Amazon Prime documentary that he 'hated the way we played' last season under Zidane and how horrible we were, which led to people speculating Zizou would be getting sacked regardless if he didn't leave ahead of time. That said, I think they were at peace with the assumed direction because 1) we're getting a manager seemingly acquainted with the Spaniards in the team, 2) we haven't given completely free reign to any forwards under Cristiano so we didn't know what they were really capable of and assumed it would be beneficial to try it, 3) we came off a back-to-back-to-back which probably wont be repeated any time soon in history. So no need to pursue "more" and obsess about getting a result this year. It was more about seeing how it goes without our best scorer ever and most predicted it wouldn't go so smooth if you're not getting a replacement, but there has to be a reason for our inactivity.

It basically seems to be one of the three things:
a) We're pumping all we have into the stadium and don't have THAT much flexibility short term so we choose to invest more in a lot of young talent that we already know has some quality.
b) We're saving up a big pot of money for a big name to further Flo's marketing agenda i.e. Neymar, whether it's Flo's personal favourite or not.
c) We're sitting on a pot of gold and genuinely fucked up, and overestimated the talent we have at hand and how they would handle themselves in front of goal, and only went with mediocre Mariano option.

Now it's easy to get cynical about it and say (c) is obvious, but I'd like to think Florentino isn't this much of a mug to be actually sitting on money and not spending it on a guy who obviously wants to come and join us i.e. Hazard. Thus I'm so far leaning towards option A, but there was loads of circumstantial evidence of nepotism/megalomania towards Bale and Benzema over the years (such as consistent getting rid of quality #2 strikers contending against Benzema and squashing Bale transfer rumors despite relatively mediocre up-and-down output) so that cannot be ruled out.

Basically - this season is fucked, which is fine, as long as we ARE planning something in winter + summer and good changes take place. Most players like Marcelo, Modrić won't be happy about finishing with nothing and would rather go get a good paycheck elsewhere.
Flo knows it too so I'm sure he'll be working the phones.

Conte will be a fucking disaster here. Not in the least because he's a defensive coach, but for one we have to commit to 2-3 year deal with him and players we have will be sick of him after a season.

Remember the stories Chiellini told? Something about how Conte basically chooses to intentionally fight the guys with the highest stature in the locker room, usually for petty reasons, to let the team know nobody is free of scrutiny on any level.
One time he arranged with Buffon, then-captain, to 'pretend to make a scene' before a game against Cagliari, last game of the season which would get them past the 100-point barrier. Buffon was late to a video tactical preview session saying "Sorry boss, I was arranging things to do with team bonuses for us with the team director". To which Conte basically responded by yelling "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE"... "what?! what are you staring at? OUT! You're a captain and you're being totally unprofessional before a very important game!! FUCK OUT OF HERE ALL OF YOU". So they all left and thought between themselves "Damn if he's slating Gigi so much this game is actually important". And this was staged because Conte thought emotions and complacency is a tad too high.

They won 3-0. But can you imagine this working with Ramos doing make-believe shit? :lol:

There was also allegedly a game against Verona, where it was 2-0, Verona pulled back to draw 2-2 and he goes and says in the team talk - "tomorrow we have an extra training session at 6am, because you fucked around".

According to Pirlo dude throws pens, boots, mugs around the locker room.

That shit won't work here. It might work for 1 year, sure, but then it means we need to sack him when it stops working and pay him the release bonus of 15-20 million to get a replacement manager. And he would never agree to work as a caretaker or anything of the sort.

Also potentially makes Hazard move.. more complicated than it already is.

PS
As for actual transfer moves, I don't see why we would splurge out anything on Hazard in winter UNLESS we literally do not climb out of mid-table by end of December and the prospect of us finishing outside of CL spots becomes a real fear. Only then it could push Floro to do emergency transfers and actually spend that money.
Good read, man. It's always refreshing to hear opinions that aren't necessarily at either extreme ends of the spectrum.

Just to play the devil's advocate in regards to Conte; Perhaps an over-the-top hardass like him is exactly what you need. Either to flush out the old guard who won't abide to anyone or to put them in their place. Even if he's not in Madrid for the long haul, his work could still pave the way for a smoother beginning for anyone succeeding him.

raskolnikov

I cant see it working. Madrid starters, most of them been at the club for many years and wont like Conte cracking down on them. It will be a huge clash of ego's. Still better than them getting Mourinho back which I could see happening if Perez get deseprate enough.
On the other hand who else are they going to get? Conte is a gamble and in the best case scenario he works as a short term solution. I hope they spiral down negativity more though with the fans waving white flags for Perez to resign.

El Gato

Villarato!
Good read, man. It's always refreshing to hear opinions that aren't necessarily at either extreme ends of the spectrum.

Just to play the devil's advocate in regards to Conte; Perhaps an over-the-top hardass like him is exactly what you need. Either to flush out the old guard who won't abide to anyone or to put them in their place. Even if he's not in Madrid for the long haul, his work could still pave the way for a smoother beginning for anyone succeeding him.

He doesn't even "flush" the old guard out tho, he just picks fights where he thinks team aren't being serious enough about things. Ok, fair enough, but it doesn't work with every locker room. And he's got some serious backroom staff cooperation issues. I mean he threw a hissy fit over not getting the pieces he wanted in Chelsea. Can you imagine what will happen when Perez tells him 'sorry, no dice'? Who has he legitimately kicked out or sorted out during his time at Juve or Chelsea? Terry? Everyone and their mother saw he was finished so it's not like he accelerated anything. Ivanović? They're just mediocre old players who needed to be moved on.
At Juve he changed a fair bit more and brought back Scudettos, but again he did not do it because the team was overly successful immediately prior and started knocking people off their pedestals. Del Piero finished his stay and moved to Australia at 37, but he wasn't even a regular player back then. He gave Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli the keys to the kingdom, played Tevez, Llorente, Quagliarella, Vidal and let Pogba loose.

I'm just not in the least convinced by his methods working with the latinos who are equally 'fiery' and if he picks a fight, they will not respond with motivation, which is what Conte wants. It'll just cause dramas like it did with Hazard and others in that team. At least that's my impression.

Last edited:

Morten

Looks like Conte might not be coming after all, if thats the case, i guess because Perez wont promise him the changes that needs to be made.
It would make little sense to hire someone like Conte, if we dont let him actually clear out the squad to his liking, you can have drama if you are getting rid, otherwise its kinda stupid.

El Gato

Villarato!
Looks like Conte might not be coming after all, if thats the case, i guess because Perez wont promise him the changes that needs to be made.
It would make little sense to hire someone like Conte, if we dont let him actually clear out the squad to his liking, you can have drama if you are getting rid, otherwise its kinda stupid.

Nah man. Either a big part of the locker room has gone ahead and said they don't want Conte, or it's to do with the contract. Much like a lot of people on BarcaForum for weeks and weeks said they wanted Valverde sacked and Conte to be a caretaker, this could be what they're trying to negotiate with him. Not directly as a caretaker, he'd be offered a normal contract, but the mutual termination fee is what the managers set very high in these circumstances. That's why Wenger and Conte are relatively less likely than, say, Jardim who is more positive, less of a conflict-seeker and probably wouldn't demand as much in regard to that clause.

Messigician

Nah man. Either a big part of the locker room has gone ahead and said they don't want Conte, or it's to do with the contract. Much like a lot of people on BarcaForum for weeks and weeks said they wanted Valverde sacked and Conte to be a caretaker, this could be what they're trying to negotiate with him. Not directly as a caretaker, he'd be offered a normal contract, but the mutual termination fee is what the managers set very high in these circumstances. That's why Wenger and Conte are relatively less likely than, say, Jardim who is more positive, less of a conflict-seeker and probably wouldn't demand as much in regard to that clause.

No one here wanted Conte and I DARE you to find a post from someone that did.

Home of Barca Fans