Raphael Varane

hellsangel1

Varane's performance yesterday was worldclass, so all the hype he gets is deserved. Only time will tell if he's going to be and stay a worldclass player. smh if you can't acknowledge his outstanding performance. Imagine if it would've been Bartra. This forum would go nuts and the CB-discussion would be over.

I agree, credit needs to be given where it's due although i knew this was a great signing for Madrid from his early performances already. He's quick on his feet and yet is physical and good in the air as well. He's like a quicker version of Pique.

What I like about him and what differentiates him from the other Madrid defenders is that he isn't rash or commits excessive fouls like Ramos, Arbeloa, Pepe and others. We know that Madrid get away with that stuff in La Liga but in the CL they won't get away with it as we saw in the penalty given away by Pepe in last year's CL semifinal and this year Arbeloa got sent off against City as well, there's no way in a close game, those decisions go against Madrid in the league but in the CL against bigger sides,they're not going to get those calls. and this changes the way Madrid defenders play because them being physical is a big part of their defensive identity but Varane seems more of a proper defender who doesn't need to get into shenanigans. However it remains to be seen whether this continues as we know how that club operates with it's win-at-every-cost mentality.

Doobs

The Messiah
I think his most impressive attribute was his level headedness. Completely unfazed going up against some of the best attacking players in the world. He's only going to get better.

Defenders have gone to **** in recent times, glad there's a young man on the horizon.

So true.

Fishdoll

Bakalao
I was reminded of a young (Lazio era) Alessandro Nesta. He's the last teenaged centerback I remember being so composed and so utterly dominant.

Real are lucky to have this guy, he's very good indeed.

El Gato

Villarato!
Haven't seen anyone outpace Messi until last night a 19-20 year old did it. Oh my.

Also, crossing and with both feet..

:worthy:

Mr Hulot

What a player! I cannot remember when it was the last time that I enjoyed a central defender's performance so much! I hope the best for him. If he works hard he will be good enough to make us hate him later ;)

ivan22

What a player! I cannot remember when it was the last time that I enjoyed a central defender's performance so much! I hope the best for him. If he works hard he will be good enough to make us hate him later ;)

probably pique vs malaga ;)

but you're right, it's very, very rare that I enjoy watching highlights of a CB.

T

tariqo

LoL @ any1 thinks he was that great last night ,,, messi wasn't even trying &pedro missed a clear 1on 1 with lopez & his tackle on cesc was overrated because cesc make it too easy for the defender ,,, if real played against malaga u would see that this player isn't that good at all

Irish_Cules

LoL @ any1 thinks he was that great last night ,,, messi wasn't even trying &pedro missed a clear 1on 1 with lopez & his tackle on cesc was overrated because cesc make it too easy for the defender ,,, if real played against malaga u would see that this player isn't that good at all

:facepalm:

Paganinisrvnge

Didn't watch the match but watched the highlights and a highlight video of Varane. Sensational performance. It's kind of funny that people were saying it would be a goalfest because of Real Madrid's makeshift backline and worries over the Barcelona backline with both Alba and Alves. From what the highlights I saw; both teams defenses rose to the occasion.

If both teams can defend as well as yesterday in the Champions League; then they will both go very far.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Real press is exagerating this thing too much. Ok, the lad did a great job but they are focusing on him too much. I think he is too young yet and maybe all this pressure on him may be not good.

Home of Barca Fans