Raphael Varane

khorne

well, considering how much they have been in shambles the last couple of months, I'd say they're entitled to some overhyping. It's natural, if the situation were reversed our press would do the same

PearLBLacK

Banned
To be widely-recognized as Man of the Match in a Clasico, with the likes of Ronaldo, Ozil, Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi on the field is no small feat. Every single word of praise is 100% deserved.

ricknattery

To be widely-recognized as Man of the Match in a Clasico, with the likes of Ronaldo, Ozil, Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi on the field is no small feat. Every single word of praise is 100% deserved.

Only small teams will overrate a defender to such heights because indirectly, they are celebrating a tie at their own stadium

T

tariqo

nop ,, he is overrated

PearLBLacK

Banned
Only small teams will overrate a defender to such heights because indirectly, they are celebrating a tie at their own stadium

1) Nobody's overrating him. His performance merited the praise. Sure, I was joking around saying he's better than Silva and Nesta, but in all seriousness, he's the best young defender out there, and certainly better than some high profile experienced defenders as well. Idk who is the official MotM but countless and various entities, both professional journalists and media agencies, pick him as the uncontested MotM of the Clasico. Not a simple achievement considering the players he was sharing the field with. What's more, he was the youngest and most inexperienced player on the pitch, and that was his first Clasico. Need I say more?

2) Not exactly celebrating, but I for one am very happy with that result. Why? Because looking at our shaky form since September, and the absence of 3/4th of our defense, and the absence of Casillas who's brilliance we greatly depend upon in Clasicos, and the negative rumors surrounding the squad and staff before the match, it's as good a result as we would ever get. Tell you what, I wouldn't have been much sad with a 1-2 scoreline either. This result leaves the second-leg wide open. Barca has the advantage of an away goal, but when was the last time both teams failed to score at least once in a Clasico? Two seasons ago. So very unlikely the match will end 0-0 and Barca progress on the basis of that away goal.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Varane is a world class talent and this wasn't his first impressive performance(the game against City comes to mind), but he deserves to be praised. He had a better performance against us than any of the those hyped as PL's best CB's had against RM or Barca(Vidic and Kompany come to my mind). What I can't understand though is how it is possible to fault Barca for scoring only one goal and then compare Varane with Maldini.
And if we're taking into account Rm's defense and say that it was a failure for Barca to score only one goal, then it wasn't less of a failure than that of Rm in Oct., when they were at 8pts and played a Barca without Pique, Puyol and Dani Alves and still couldn't win.

Because it stayed at one goal + all the attack came from Ricardo & Arbeloa side.. there was practically nothing from his side

I'm still in shock that people don't know the meaning of the word "would have made Maldini proud " ... it was a very clean game for a 19 year old CB to remove the threat of the best player of the planets (quoting pique ) will resolving to zero dirty tackles but a clean cut master class defensive performance an old school one
and topped it with levelling the match with a nice header

as for the October game you actually had Alves starting in HIS POSITION but was injured after 30 min, Mascherano is 100 times better than Ricardo who is washed out he couldn't even get anyone buying him in January.. you didn't have Alba playing a RB instead of LB and we had like you a midfielder playing in the defence plus you had your first choice goal keeper not a keeper who joined the club 3 days ago .. the difference is 1 goal less and vs a very off form Real Madrid unlike the current state of your teamand your defence ( refer back to the match comments ) got plenty of praise even though we scored twice

So yes Varane does deserve praise for stopping a full squad Barca and inform Messi (refer back to Messi 4 goals 3 days before ) and his constant braces for sometime ..

Beast

The Observer
1) Nobody's overrating him. His performance merited the praise. Sure, I was joking around saying he's better than Silva and Nesta, but in all seriousness, he's the best young defender out there, and certainly better than some high profile experienced defenders as well. Idk who is the official MotM but countless and various entities, both professional journalists and media agencies, pick him as the uncontested MotM of the Clasico. Not a simple achievement considering the players he was sharing the field with. What's more, he was the youngest and most inexperienced player on the pitch, and that was his first Clasico. Need I say more?

2) Not exactly celebrating, but I for one am very happy with that result. Why? Because looking at our shaky form since September, and the absence of 3/4th of our defense, and the absence of Casillas who's brilliance we greatly depend upon in Clasicos, and the negative rumors surrounding the squad and staff before the match, it's as good a result as we would ever get. Tell you what, I wouldn't have been much sad with a 1-2 scoreline either. This result leaves the second-leg wide open. Barca has the advantage of an away goal, but when was the last time both teams failed to score at least once in a Clasico? Two seasons ago. So very unlikely the match will end 0-0 and Barca progress on the basis of that away goal.

well said Pearl , well said

Home of Barca Fans