Rafinha Alcantara

EdmondDantes

Fantastic goal by Rafa tonight. He started and finished it beautifully following Luis's perfect cross.

Having said that, since we know Valverde will be pragmatic again, I would prefer Semedo to be in the line up against Madrid. That would be Sergi Roberto further forward in Rafinha's place - since he seems to always want to play him.

Sorin

If he performs like this every time he is called upon maybe we can get the 40 big ones that we want for him. Maybe Inter loosens the wallet a bit and pays the goddamn money as it's worth it for them and he seems to have loved it there. Instead he'll get bits and pieces of action at us which will be a shame for him and some other team that could use him.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Not so great overall - many misplaced passes, many not too helpful runs, etc. But have to give props to him, popped with the opener! I wish he celebrated wildly kind of like in-your-face-assholes to the Inter Milan board

PhilS

This was a huge game for this guy, I was very pleased with his performance. His tracking back on defense was very valuable, this is so needed from forwards other than Messi and Suarez. We're going to be seeing quite a bit of him over the rest of the season, he's jumped way up in the depth chart. Valverde has no reason to give opportunities to Malcom, D. Suarez or Alena if he gets play like this from Rafinha.

God Serena

This was a huge game for this guy, I was very pleased with his performance. His tracking back on defense was very valuable, this is so needed from forwards other than Messi and Suarez. We're going to be seeing quite a bit of him over the rest of the season, he's jumped way up in the depth chart. Valverde has no reason to give opportunities to Malcom, D. Suarez or Alena if he gets play like this from Rafinha.

Alena isn't even a winger though?

Porque

Alenya could be really interesting in this hybrid right midfield role. He can bring similar characteristics to the right as Coutinho on the left but brings more defensive contribution but less attacking output.

I don't think Valverde will give him a chance, and Rafinha is going to get his chance now. But for Valverde-ball Alena could be our best longterm RM option.

Last edited:

Donatello

Alenya could be really interesting in this hybrid right midfield role. He can bring similar characteristics to the right as Coutinho on the left but brings more defensive contribution but less attacking output.

I don't think Valverde will give him a chance, and Rafinha is going to get his chance now. But for Valverde-ball Alena could be our best longterm RM option.

Why TF play an injury prone, bound to leave player on the expense of a potential starters for years to come.

Valverde is selfish and is only interested in his tenure, he doesn't care how the club is when he leaves.

Agreed he is no Saint & there are many managers like that, but there are many out there who like to build a system, a legacy like Cruyff, Guardiola, Pochettino, Klopp, tuchel etc, we need to find someone like that. If not, atleast find someone who makes Barca worth watching. This is one of the moSt boring Barca in years.

I expect him to leave after this season, that would be respectful from both ends.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Honestly, i missed what did Rafinha did so great apart from the goal. He can hold on to the ball, yes. Still he has the same one dimensional dribbling with his left foot moving inwards and he does everything too slow. Probably better at defensive contribution than our other wingers, but that's it.

Messigician

Honestly, i missed what did Rafinha did so great apart from the goal. He can hold on to the ball, yes. Still he has the same one dimensional dribbling with his left foot moving inwards and he does everything too slow. Probably better at defensive contribution than our other wingers, but that's it.

Good defensive workrate and an eye for goal.

Porque

Valverde is thinking defence first from the attacking positions. Low turnover rate, great first touch and keeps the ball moving until an opening. Great goal and build up though.

In this regard Rafinha is a good stopgap option. And if Valverde persists with this setup we could very well see Denis also moving ahead of Malcom in the pecking order.

The drawback is that we lack pace and unpredictiability. As someone said earlier, faster teams than Inter like Dortmund and Liverpool can punish us in the knockouts. Mind you Sevilla and Spurs are that profile and we saw how those games went.

Munir for example is not coming on for his goals. Those are secondry. Hes coming on for his first touch, to pressure off the ball, keep the ball AND then maybe get a goal.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans