Rafael Márquez

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
If anything...it's good that we have this depth in the back right now. Why do you go on about how Rafa f*cks up all the time? You never jump on anyone else's back.

:marquez:

because

1. rafa does it more than our other defenders.
2. rafa isn't la masia or a new recruit, so doesn't get any leeway with me.
3. he has so many fanboys slobbering on his johnson that his many flaws need to be pointed out. I'm not a hater, a hater hates for no reason or as jealousy for success, I'm just pointing out times when he's played like a fucktard.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I don't think you are involved in any anti-Rafa conspiracy (though your sig isn't doing you any favours) or something, but the "La Masia" comment borrowed me.

So Puyol is allowed to make as many mistakes as he wants just because he's a youth product? No disrespect to the captain, but he made at least as many mistakes as Marquez last season, but it's cool to turn a blind eye to it because he's Catalan while a player who has defended our colours since 2003(the majority of his career) should be galvanized every time he's not 100% flawless?

Sorry to say Laporta doesn't agree with you, because both Rafa and the captain were both given contract extension offers.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I don't think you are involved in any anti-Rafa conspiracy (though your sig isn't doing you any favours) or something, but the "La Masia" comment borrowed me.

So Puyol is allowed to make as many mistakes as he wants just because he's a youth product? No disrespect to the captain, but he made at least as many mistakes as Marquez last season, but it's cool to turn a blind eye to it because he's Catalan while a player who has defended our colours since 2003(the majority of his career) should be galvanized every time he's not 100% flawless?

Sorry to say Laporta doesn't agree with you, because both Rafa and the captain were both given contract extension offers.

puyol made mistakes, but he also turned in heroic performances the likes of which we didn't really see from marquez. he scored or made the killer goals in BOTH clasicos, for example. plus he's the captain and the leadership he provides can make up for any mistakes he makes (and he doesn't tend to make them in big games, aside from the calderon where he and rafa both fucked up, he was a big game stalwart whereas rafa had those facepalm worthy moments in the first clasico and the first leg of the CL semi).

anyway, I'm not giving la masia a carte blanché to fuck up. if you read what I said, you'll see I said that la masia and new recruits get LEEWAY with me. as in, I am more tolerant of them and any mistakes they make as they are either new or home grown (that's not to say I like or ignore it). it's a bias towards players who come through our youth system which has no basis in logic, I freely admit that, but football's not about logic.

of course rafa has been offered an extension. he still has value as a sellable asset and if we let his contract run down we make nothing from him. conversely if he renews we can ship him out in the summer (or keep him, I'm really not fussed) and make a tidy sum.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
puyol made mistakes, but he also turned in heroic performances the likes of which we didn't really see from marquez. he scored or made the killer goals in BOTH clasicos, for example. plus he's the captain and the leadership he provides can make up for any mistakes he makes (and he doesn't tend to make them in big games, aside from the calderon where he and rafa both fucked up, he was a big game stalwart whereas rafa had those facepalm worthy moments in the first clasico and the first leg of the CL semi).

anyway, I'm not giving la masia a carte blanché to fuck up. if you read what I said, you'll see I said that la masia and new recruits get LEEWAY with me. as in, I am more tolerant of them and any mistakes they make as they are either new or home grown (that's not to say I like or ignore it). it's a bias towards players who come through our youth system which has no basis in logic, I freely admit that, but football's not about logic.

of course rafa has been offered an extension. he still has value as a sellable asset and if we let his contract run down we make nothing from him. conversely if he renews we can ship him out in the summer (or keep him, I'm really not fussed) and make a tidy sum.

You are telling me Rafa didn't have brilliant games? He played the most times last year than he has since the last time we won the Champion's League, scoring in every competition, and I'm not the only one who thinks that some of our best moments last year were under the Rafa-Pique partnership. Puyol is undeniably an extremely clutch player, more so than Marquez, but they both have very obvious weak moments and also brilliant ones and it's crazy to think that Rafa didn't contribute. But at least you admit your willingness to give players more leeway based on personal preferences, we all do it.

As far as the extension talks go, I'm not saying Marquez will definitely be around until 2012 but he's not going to be worth any more next summer than he was this summer (the club rejected an offer from Fiorentina) or last summer (Atleti), even if he doesn't get injured. Sorry to burst your bubble but the club isn't renewing the contract of an injury prone 30 year old to make money.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
You are telling me Rafa didn't have brilliant games? He played the most times last year than he has since the last time we won the Champion's League, scoring in every competition, and I'm not the only one who thinks that some of our best moments last year were under the Rafa-Pique partnership. Puyol is undeniably an extremely clutch player, more so than Marquez, but they both have very obvious weak moments and also brilliant ones and it's crazy to think that Rafa didn't contribute. But at least you admit your willingness to give players more leeway based on personal preferences, we all do it.

what I meant about puyol was consistent performance in the big game scenarios. no big game fuckups apart from the atleti game. just relentlessly solid. and to top that off he produced some downright heroic defensive and offensive moments and was of course our leader on the pitch.

and hey now, I was the first guy to point out that dani-piqué-rafa-puyol was our best defence last season. y'all were still hatin' on piqué back then and wanted puyol in the middle.

anyway, I don't deny how magnificent marquez was in the first half of last season (you clearly haven't understood that I was the biggest marquez fan around but 2 years of watching him flail around like a retarded chimpanzee have really annoyed the fuck out of me). but after xmas it became more about moments for him (the free-kick against espanyol, the headed assist against lyon). big moments, for sure, but he wasn't his consistent self and started making BAFFLING mistakes. the ones against racing, atleti and chelsea stand head and shoulders above any cockup made last season.

As far as the extension talks go, I'm not saying Marquez will definitely be around until 2012 but he's not going to be worth any more next summer than he was this summer (the club rejected an offer from Fiorentina) or last summer (Atleti), even if he doesn't get injured. Sorry to burst your bubble but the club isn't renewing the contract of an injury prone 30 year old to make money.

our squad is thin, hence no selling. plus he can play DM which will be crucial during the ACoN.

I suspect rafa's long-term future will hinge largely on the development of chygrynskiy. if he adapts well by the end of the season then rafa will probably be moved on as he still has some value (he would own in calcio) and the first 3 CB slots will be taken by piqué, puyol and chysus. so a 4th spot is a good place for a youth teamer (fontás or muniesa) rather than a veteran like rafa.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I think his future depends a lot on what he himself wants. He actually said virtually the same thing Puyol did, that he wants to retire here but won't rule anything out. Which is what everyone says to make sure they don't get a pay cut. I was never sure what his loyalty would be like once his BFF Ronnie and countryman Gio left as he's always been a bit aloof, but he looked genuinely happy last season and Pep seems to trust him as a leader. The Latin American players always seem to get along well and with Sylvie gone he's the senior Latino, even if he's not South American.

Last edited:

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
El Mariachi may be prone to his moments of confusion, but as I said in another thread, if all he can do is help Pique, CNote, Muniesa, and Fontas get better in their passing game and help them develop the calmness that he exudes as he controls the backline then FCB could have the best central pairing in Europe for years to come.

Sodamnsmooth

El Mariachi may be prone to his moments of confusion, but as I said in another thread, if all he can do is help Pique, CNote, Muniesa, and Fontas get better in their passing game and help them develop the calmness that he exudes as he controls the backline then FCB could have the best central pairing in Europe for years to come.

Good post.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Indeed a brainfart but we do have to remember that he's still somewhat in the pre-season form while the others are way beyond. Let him find the rhythm first.

Home of Barca Fans