Rafael Leao

Porque

Impressed season 2018/2019 at Lille. Moved to Milan Summer 2019. Took 2 seasons to show his level.

Imagine he had gone to Barcelona. Young players take time and here we are castrating Ferran.

jamrock

That's because milan didn't pay 65m euros for him, which we will pay even if he's just a part of the team & we turn things around without him being particularly special.

Torres for 30-35m great signing, Torres for 55-65m bad signing, gotta be world class for than kinda money.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Impressed season 2018/2019 at Lille. Moved to Milan Summer 2019. Took 2 seasons to show his level.

Imagine he had gone to Barcelona. Young players take time and here we are castrating Ferran.

That's fair, but Leao has the blistering pace and dribbling ability Ferran just doesn't possess. How many wingers/inside forwards are great without any of these attributes?

The problem I have with Ferran isn't just his price and underwhelming performances so far, but the big questions about his fit in general and ceiling. His movement is great even though his finishing is iffy, but 90% of the time you need much more than just great movement to become a very good or a world class player.

High floor, low ceiling type of player possibly which makes the price paid look kinda bad given our situation.

Last edited:

Porque

That's fair, but Leao has the blistering pace and dribbling ability Ferran just doesn't possess. How many wingers/inside forwards are great without any of these attributes?

The problem I have with Ferran isn't just his price and underwhelming performances so far, but the big questions about his fit in general and ceiling. His movement is great even though his finishing is iffy, but 90% of the time you need much more than just great movement to become a very good or a world class player.

High floor, low ceiling type of player possibly which makes the price paid look kinda bad given our situation.

Granted.

I think he fits better than Griezmann or Coutinho though. He is a non-flashy workmanlike attacker who will link up well, dribble his man on occasion but excels in having a knack to get on the end of scoring chances. His success will depend on how well his conversion of them develops.

Lazily, I compare him to Muller who has the correct mindset and is an extremely good player to have in the 11 while not particularly excelling in any major attacking traits. Or in years gone by, he is closer to a Giuly for us?

I mean we're forgetting he come after missing 3 months of football with a metartarsal injury, and had no business playing anywhere near his peak for us.

serghei

Granted.

I think he fits better than Griezmann or Coutinho though. He is a non-flashy workmanlike attacker who will link up well, dribble his man on occasion but excels in having a knack to get on the end of scoring chances. His success will depend on how well his conversion of them develops.

Lazily, I compare him to Muller who has the correct mindset and is an extremely good player to have in the 11 while not particularly excelling in any major attacking traits. Or in years gone by, he is closer to a Giuly for us?

I mean we're forgetting he come after missing 3 months of football with a metartarsal injury, and had no business playing anywhere near his peak for us.

I wouldn't give his dribbling as a lost cause already. He can beat his man, but will do it as a way to escape attackers that commit, rather than charge them on at will.

I would say that the only thing he will probably never be is a pacy winger that can speed up and get past players. But he does at time shows the technique required to operate in small areas. For example the quick combination he made with De Jong for the goal vs Frankfurt.

I would say he can be a winger like Bernardo Silva. Not fast, but with good enough ball control and smarts to operate in small spaces and link-up well with others around him.

Sooke

It can't be said any better. Congrats.

Riordon

This is the type of transfer Liverpool would make for 40-50m and make him take the last step to become world class.

jamrock

This guy is a beast, also shows the importance of crosses, that so many people shit on dembele for, but he's a different physical animal to dembele.

Home of Barca Fans