Quique Setien

JohnN

I am noticing something weird. About a month ago the team was playing shit and that was because of our old, unmotivated, complacent squad. It seems like after about three weeks the same exact players (without Suarez who scored most of the goals) turned out pretty good but are failing because of the new coach that arrived just now.
Some honestly goes a long way..
Don't go overboard with setiens faults. He has already made mistakes but he just arrived in a sinking ship.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
2 1/2 years of being poorly or insufficiently prepared for matches cannot possibly be rectified in less than 2 weeks. That's where proper sporting strategy would have come in handy but we're led by idiots, so either there will be patience or Setien will be scapegoated

Rory

Wow this insider knowledge of the barca dressing room is definitely not what I expected to find in a fan forum. This is so cool!

Rory

One good thing about Setien is that his methods are sink or swim. If we swim and we do very well all is good, we have a clear future. We sink and the board has to seriously start evaluating the senior players roles, recruiting proper backups. We totter along with valverde's slow crawl to the cliff edge, yes maybe we get a little longer at the top of that cliff but at the end it's a far bigger rebuild required. I'd rather have a sink or swim manager for a year for the long term future of the club.

BBZ8800

One good thing about Setien is that his methods are sink or swim. If we swim and we do very well all is good, we have a clear future. We sink and the board has to seriously start evaluating the senior players roles, recruiting proper backups. We totter along with valverde's slow crawl to the cliff edge, yes maybe we get a little longer at the top of that cliff but at the end it's a far bigger rebuild required. I'd rather have a sink or swim manager for a year for the long term future of the club.

I love your optimisim.
And how you think that if Setien will fail, we will make changes and start a happier era.

Remember in 2000' when the situation was better than today because a team wasn't as old and complacent as today, we had:
May 2000 Van Gaal sacked for the better future
Serra Ferrer stepped in
April 2001 Ferrer sacked
Rexach stepped in
May 2002 Rexach sacked
Van Gaal returns
January 2003 Van Gaal sacked for the 2nd time
Antic steps in
June 2003 Antic sacked
Laporta and Rijkaard stepped in
December 2003, Rijkaard on a verge of sacking

So, in 2000s we sacked 5 coaches in a row, and we only got lucky in the 6th attempt with Rijkaard who also struggled in the first 6 Months.

Yet, today, we are only at a coach no2 (Setien).
If we will follow a similar path like in 2000s, we need 4 more coaches until things will improve.

Also, remember that back then we had La Masia to get us out of troubles, which we don't have today.
And there were only 5-6 rich teams back then compared to today when we have 10-12 rich clubs in Europe.

In short, my estimation, if Setien will fail, which he most likely will, we will just continue with this vicious cycle of sinking deeper for a few years.
Just remember what happened with Man Utd with 4-5 coaches in a row. They are worse and worse with each new coach.

But again, I like your optimism.
Even though it doesn't have anything with reality.

LeeRomeno

I love your optimisim.
And how you think that if Setien will fail, we will make changes and start a happier era.

Remember in 2000' when the situation was better than today because a team wasn't as old and complacent as today, we had:
Serra Ferrer stepped in
April 2001 Ferrer sacked
Rexach stepped in
May 2002 Rexach sacked
Van Gaal returns
Antic steps in
June 2003 Antic sacked

So, in 2000s we sacked 5 coaches in a row, and we only got lucky in the 6th attempt with Rijkaard who also struggled in the first 6 Months.

If we will follow a similar path like in 2000s, we need 4 more coaches until things will improve.

Also, remember that back then we had La Masia to get us out of troubles, which we don't have today.
And there were only 5-6 rich teams back then compared to today when we have 10-12 rich clubs in Europe.

In short, my estimation, if Setien will fail, which he most likely will, we will just continue with this vicious cycle of sinking deeper for a few years.
Just remember what happened with Man Utd with 4-5 coaches in a row. They are worse and worse with each new coach.

One thing to add here is that i think the reliance on amigos is directly related to the business side of club as well. It is not really common that club offers "lifetime" deals with key players. We have offered them to every big player. This is because we have really became huge financially and this is mainly down to Messi, but also other key players. Messi brings us so much marketing value, that it is impossible to treat him as just a player. Board knows that, Barto is businessman above everything. I am pretty sure that his tasks for Valverde included riding on the same train for as long as possible, because this brings in money. Keep Messi happy. How to keep him happy, keep him playing with his friends.
In that sense ManU is very much a case study for us as well. Its a club also ran by businessmen. And they have really struggled game wise, but have been financially super successful.
Aslong as we do not have another Messi in our ranks (and we do not now, which is why losing Neymar was such a blow, not only because of gameplay, but because of marketing value) we will keep pleasing him. With new board, maybe we will take new approach, but for now, changing coaches will not make our legends deage, nor will the coach have power to start benching the amigos in games.

Rory

I love your optimisim.

Serra Ferrer stepped in
April 2001 Ferrer sacked
Rexach stepped in
May 2002 Rexach sacked
Van Gaal returns
Antic steps in
June 2003 Antic sacked

What can I say, I'm not a miserable sod with a bias against the guy. It's common sense that if a team fails the players start to change especially when they are 31 and above meaning they would change regardless of results. We're not talking about 26 year olds who have years left in them. Didn't say there'd be a happy era after just that the rebuild would start earlier than it would have done. Google logical fallacy. Honestly do it and try and understand how that is all you do with your strawman arguments.

What happened before is irrelevant for now.

You know what else isn't based in reality? All the players hate Setien like you're suggesting. Or that the manager should buckle under the pressure of the players and let them decide how we play.

Who do you suggest we sign? Who do you suggest we start? Who do you suggest we hire as a coach (that is available)?

Also this genius prediction of sinking deeper for a few years, of course we will a bit, messi will slow down and retire.

Rory

These lifetime deals are PR they're not actually designed to keep players there until they want to leave. Xavi got a mega money offer from qatar when he could have stayed. Who were our sponsors then? Iniesta gets a mega money offer / chance to take his wine business there and bring out a clothing range from the japanese team that has the same sponsor as us. hmm

snowy

If there is 0 respect left for the manager, roll in this guy:
2B367B6F00000578-0-image-m-49_1439073980930.jpg

and clear out Club De Amigos. Bring Puyol too and start the rebuild.

I still think the next 2 fixtures will show where we are headed. We recieved the slap we needed. But how will we react...

Bielsa is so beaucoup cookoo bananas he'd superglue all the pampered butts to the bench _ and then, make them do 1000 suicides in sync hahaha

as for Lucky Quickie, 4get 'bout it. Guy's a Grand ChestMaster with Double D vision. He gonna go BIG

1801650.jpg
or go BUST :D

BBZ8800

You know what else isn't based in reality? All the players hate Setien like you're suggesting. Or that the manager should buckle under the pressure of the players and let them decide how we play.

Who do you suggest we sign? Who do you suggest we start? Who do you suggest we hire as a coach (that is available)?

Also this genius prediction of sinking deeper for a few years, of course we will a bit, messi will slow down and retire.

Lol, you got angry now.
The problem is that 90% of fans think with their emotions and their hope for a brighter future and not with a cold logic.

You called me a miserable sod, I could call you a naive 13 years old girl who talks about her dreams and not about reality.

If you want to break a success, cycles, rise and fall of football clubs into factors, I would write it this way:
1. president and a board
2. Sporting directors
3. A coach
4. Money
5. Longterm sporting project by sporting directors and a coach where they choose their system, formation, tactics and buy players according to these plans
6. Players
7. La Masia young talents
8. A state of your domestic and european opponents
9. Some luck in matches, regarding injuries, easy CL draw, refs help

Now, let's check our first successfull era in 2000s: 2004-2006 with Rijkaard

1. A good president Laporta, check
2. A goat sporting director Txiki, check
3. A good coach with a clear plan, ideas, authority and charisma, Rijkaard, check
4. Money, check
5. Longterm sporting project, check
6. Players: Txiki and Rijkaard bought 15 new players in 2 summers for their project, not some random players like Dumbele, Cou or Griezz, check
7. La Masia: Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Motta, Gabri, Oleguer, check
8. A bad state of direct opponents: Valencia was dying, Real were declining old Galacticos, Atletico was a midtable club. A perfect timing to grow and win even if you are not at 100%, check
In Europe: no Psg, shitty Bayern, no oil money, Italians were on a verge of bankruptcy, check
9. Some luck: red cards for Chelsea, a red card in a final of 2006 for Arsenal

Now, let's check 2020 and see how many factors are favorable in this moment:
1. Barto, a president till summer of 2021 (18 months) and even then, maybe his assistants will win the elections again
2. Sporting directors: Roberto, Segura, Abidal, lol
3. A coach: 61 years old guy fired by Betis
4. Long term sporting plan: play with 33 years old divas and pair them with expensive misfits like Dumbele, Cou, Griezz, lol. A new plan: sign another amigo Neymar, lol.
5. Money, check
6. Players, horrible
7. La Masia=dead
8. State of the opponents=RM has a better team, a right coach and better youngsters
In Europe, there are at least 10 super rich teams, so the situation for rebuilding is way harder than in 2003 or 2008
9. Luck with injuries, a CL draw or lucky goals=we aren't lucky lately

So, basically, out of 9 factors which were here during Rijkaard's and Pep's start, today we have 1=money.

So, you see, firing EV, selling Raki and similar, surely won't change too much.

For the next 18 Months, nothing will change.
Barto will stay.
Abidal will stay.
Busi, Sukki, Pique, Alba will stay.
We can only hire and fire coaches but the results won't improve.
La Masia is dead.
Epl is richer and richer.
And on top of all=we will lose Messi.

So, even if you get a perfect president in 2021, a perfect sporting directors, a perfect coach.
We will still need 10-15 good transfers and some time for a team to click.
Yet, we won't have any La Masia kids so it will be hard to play Barca's DNA football with 11 foreigners.

So, roughly, even if we make everything right, we could start to show signs of improvement in 2023 at earliest.

But since it is hard to get everything right that fast, the more likely is that we will be similar to a current Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool pre Klopp.

So, you see, if you want to be realistic and if you remove emotions and dreams, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing which suggests any improvements before 2023 at earliest.

Also, when you guys dream about Frenkie, Arthur and co, from now on you should take into the account that they will play and grow in a mess for at least 3-4 more seasons.

I often see posts: let's give a player xx one season under a proper coach and with a functional team.
Well, it won't happen anytime soon.

And this post isn't about egos or I told you so.

It is a cold reality if you look at a bigger picture and if you dig deeper into reasons and circumstances why some clubs are in winning or losing eras.

Look at Liverpool.
Ok president.
Good sporting directors and scouts.
Good long term project.
Money, check.
Good coach.
Right players for their sporting project.
Some domestic youngsters.
And except City, their opponents are shit.
Plus, they are lucky with some results and with injuries.

Liverpool also has 8-9 needed ingredients for a success.
Again, Barca in this moment has only 1 ingredient=money.

Basically, the only option for our growth is that Font guy.
Yet nobody knows whether he is good or just a same crap like Barto.
And even if he'll win, he will need good sporting directors, a right coach, 10-15 new players, decline of RM, luck etc.

Way too many "ifs".

It sounds like a Science fiction now, but really, in 2-3 years, we will look back at titles under EV and say: ah, good old days. We were at least capable of winning back then.

Last edited:

JohnN

I think most just wanted Valverde gone. Can't seem to find so many that were desperate for Setien to take over. False narratives detected. Also, give the coach some time as Valverde was given time too.

Home of Barca Fans