Quique Setien

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I want for him to show backbone and guts. Otherwise, everything he said, which were great signs, are meaningless words in the wind. Just like Valverde's lies.

I didn't like that he implied we weren't awful vs Ibiza and the win was expected. It was a fucking lucky escape like what happened during Valverde time and time again until luck ran out.

I'm still patient, but if we don't see improvements in the next 6 months he should be gone.

Valverde had 2.5 season to change things, Setien will definitely be given one full season to show what he can do unless something disastrous will happen like losing to RM 5-0 plus trophyless season.

serghei

Valverde had 2.5 season to change things, Setien will definitely be given one full season to show what he can do unless something disastrous will happen like losing to RM 5-0 plus trophyless season.

Yes, but we were all disheartened Valverde got so much time, when it was obvious after a while that he doesn't have what it takes. Also, now the conditions are worse than during Valverde, simply because the great players who won us these leagues are 3 years older, approaching their retirement. So to still allow them to run things it's near suicidal for the team. So now we need a top manager even more than in the summer of 2017. There is a difference between a 29-30 years old Messi and Suarez, and the 33 years old versions. Patch-work doesn't work anymore. We're approaching a period where we simply have to move on the pampered veterans or turn into a washed up club.

Time is running out. It's a possibility that if we don't change things and the rivals get stronger, we'll have some barren years with no La Liga titles. Then everyone, including the board will start to panic. I would like to see things moving in the right direction faster, starting now. You don't have to wait until you are in full blown crisis to react. You need to react faster to prevent that.

We should have reacted post Lucho, that was the right time, but we brought in a yes man who has kept the status quo and developed no-one. So we are in a situation where we have to start rebuilding now, even at the cost of winning no titles for 1-2 seasons. But first you need the right manager, and this is what we need to find out about Setien for the next 6 - 18 months.

Things are currently leading to Font + Xavi in 2021. Unless Setien proves he is the right guy for the job in the next period.

Last edited:

serghei

It is baffling how you have supported the management of this team until now and, at the same time, think a 1.2 billion euro team is destined to fail.

This is like saying a guy who has 50 million euros in the bank at this moment is destined to be poor in 3 years and at the same time defend him as a shrewd businessman.

We are the no1 club in terms of revenue and power, and if we are destined to fail it means the management, which is board + manager have been incredibly poor all these years. Do I really have to highlight the logical aspect of this connection to you?

Last edited:

Devils

If Valverde was in charge:

"Barcelona has not lost a R16 tie is 16 years, no chance we get eliminated against a Napoli side who are in crisis"

Rory

The thing is at least with someone like Setien there's a clear identity in playing style (so far) or at least a direction, a path forward, if he goes too far with his ideas and it makes us unsuccessful finding someone to tweak his ideas is a hell of a lot easier than replacing a manager that brought no ideas to the table. In Valverde after the first season (which was a success in my eyes) we had someone who didn't set up the defence very well so we weren't hard to break down, we didn't utilise counter attacks and we also didn't have the idea of keeping the ball moving as quick as we can. Not saying Setien is any of these things btw it's too early for that.

Having a clear identity also helps the recruitment of players. If you have 7/11 starting players that are able to play the system to a good enough level, you know over the next couple transfer windows there's 4 players that are needed and what they're needed for + bench players. With valverde we just bought random as fuck players that we thought would guarantee success - Griezmann, coutinho, dembele. Now this isn't me blaming valverde for board decisions it's the case for any team. If a team has a style of play, you buy players that suit that (maybe you buy a couple that only partially play well in that system to mix it up). Look at Man city with pep his first season and the 2 after it. Look at Klopp's first couple of season's and his last 3. Pochettino too.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Trophyless season is almost inevitable (except CDR, but we will probably lose even there).

CL humiliation is almost inevitable.
Even against Napoli how things stand currently...

863-8636129_138kib-724x543-1474488198-autre19-happy-face-over-angry.png

khaled_a_d

In election season? Setien won't have a leeway if he doesn't deliver Liga or CL final.

KingLeo10

In election season? Setien won't have a leeway if he doesn't deliver Liga or CL final.

Election is next season, is it not?

I agree that he should be judged harshly on results, but this position is more than a little amusing coming from previous deriders of squad quality and ardent manager sympathizers.

xXKonan

Considering the way shit was going under Valverde, we would have suffered a bad result in the CL and a big chance of going trophyless anyway.

Amuses me that there are people on here trying to rewrite history and trying to present arguments that firing Valverde was a terrible thing. Regardless if Seiten is the right man for the job or not, he needed to be sacked. He should've been sacked in the summer but these fools in charge decided to give the guy another season.

I just don't get it, why Valverde of all people somehow has this weird cult of followers. He didn't bring anything changing to the table, we regressed in so many areas and he supposedly is a "Defensive" coach we still leaked goals out the ass and decided to put the slowest Midfield 3 in history against Liverpool with an RB who cannot defend for shit.

Like what the fuck. I'm sure he's a nice guy but let us get real here Valverde ended up proving he simply isn't at the level for a team like ours.

khaled_a_d

The only people who talked about EV in last 2 pages weren't anyone who defended him tbh. I am not sure why you are trying to swing conversation about him.
Election is in summer 2021, board will do whatever it takes to prevent the likes of Laporta/Font from taking over.
Putting faith in Setien if we didn't finish with a trophy is very unlikely from board perspective. He wasn't even their 1st choice when we decided to sack EV and rumor is his contract could be terminated in summer.
One thing to talk about what should happen and what we would expect

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

The only people who talked about EV in last 2 pages weren't anyone who defended him tbh. I am not sure why you are trying to swing conversation about him.
Election is in summer 2021, board will do whatever it takes to prevent the likes of Laporta/Font from taking over.
Putting faith in Setien if we didn't finish with a trophy is very unlikely from board perspective. He wasn't even their 1st choice when we decided to sack EV and rumor is his contract could be terminated in summer.
One thing to talk about what should happen and what we would expect

Sacking a coach they just hired mid-season 6 months ago would make them look very chaotic though so i'm sure they'll keep Setien unless he fails super hard. It's also not like they'd somehow get Pep then, it would just be the next gamble.

Home of Barca Fans