Premier League 2022/2023

PL winner?

• Total voters

ajnotkeith

Tbf Birdy is probably taking a W here with Haaland.

It's hard to ignore how good his individual statistics are, but look at them as a team... Have they improved? They look so much worse.

When he doesn't score, they are useless and regularly struggling with lower table teams now. Sure, it's great that he will probably win a Golden Boot, but what does that mean for them as a team? Whenever he has an off-day most times they are dropping points. Whereas before, they used to be a well-rounded dominant team where everyone could score and were unplayable for teams like Brentford.

Now they are almost wholly reliant on him and aren't playing good football in general, they have lost that dominance and excellence that made them so special in the league at least. They are more like a 'normal' top team now who rely on individual quality.

Temptation

Both Birdy and me made the point about him making City worse as a team since forever but we got dog's abuse after Haaland scored his goals. W.

Temptation

Thoughts on our new formation with Bobby behind Mo and Nunez?

A narrower front 3.

Elliott, Thiago and Fabinho the mid 3 today.

Love this team!!!

A Win would be sweet.

Birdy

A narrower front 3.

Love this team!!!

A Win would be sweet.

risky formation to play top teams, as it leaves fullbacks open with Salah and Nunez not going to track back all the way

But should be OK to win against Soton

Porque

A narrower front 3.

Love this team!!!

A Win would be sweet.

Might work against two Armstrong's, but would never work against three Armstrong's.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
They haven’t really lost that many key players, both Sterling and Gabriel Jesus were quite marginalized, I’d say, as Pep often chose to play without a striker and in Jesus’ case in particular, he was mostly a sub. However I think folks are right that City has become too dependent on Haaland, always trying to run the attacking game through him and feed him the ball, in a way perhaps similar to how we were relying on Messi, which made them worse as a whole.

serghei

One thing is for sure, their defense is still their big Achilles heel. Terrible defending at times. Signing defenders from Dortmund is looking for trouble.

Birdy

They haven’t really lost that many key players, both Sterling and Gabriel Jesus were quite marginalized, I’d say, as Pep often chose to play without a striker and in Jesus’ case in particular, he was mostly a sub. However I think folks are right that City has become too dependent on Haaland, always trying to run the attacking game through him and feed him the ball, in a way perhaps similar to how we were relying on Messi, which made them worse as a whole.

True both Sterling and Jesus were subs the last two seasons, but Pep would play without striker with Foden Mahrez KdB as the foremost forward players

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
True both Sterling and Jesus were subs the last two seasons, but Pep would play without striker with Foden Mahrez KdB as the foremost forward players

Exactly what I was saying. Not sure why Pepe did so, but now they have Haaland, they obviously don’t do that any more. Perhaps they should bring back elements of that striker-less game before to have more options and outlets, I don’t know.

Birdy

Exactly what I was saying. Not sure why Pepe did so, but now they have Haaland, they obviously don’t do that any more. Perhaps they should bring back elements of that striker-less game before to have more options and outlets, I don’t know.

The point is they can't bring that back unless Pep benches Haaland.
They haven't played many big games as well, and I am curious to see them there.
Lost to Liverpool twice and won 6-3 against UTD. The sample is not big

BTW, one rarely sees that xG map in a City game:

FhYrMa2XwAIg-ke

Last edited:

Zidane82

A narrower front 3.

Love this team!!!

A Win would be sweet.

Great to see Firmino back to his best

Shame he did not make the Brazil squad given he is the best replacement for that Neymar role..

Zidane82

One thing is for sure, their defense is still their big Achilles heel. Terrible defending at times. Signing defenders from Dortmund is looking for trouble.

Put Stones and Walker with Maguire and Shaw to defend against the worlds best attackers

What could go wrong

Home of Barca Fans