Pre-season: International Champions Cup

BBZ8800

My impressions:
-- Douglas was very decent
-- Sergi Roberto was very good, and even though Barcaforum said that he will play as a Dmc, it seems that he is still both Mc and Dmc
-- Iniesta was very poor, but ok, it was hot and everything. His movement was by far the worst on the field. Only Gumbau's movement and pace was somewhere as poor as Iniesta's
-- Roberto and especially Samper were flying all over the pitch
-- Samper took the show, he was dominating every aspect, creating our attacks, being cool, being our brain. He was even our leader, like Xavi. Something like: look, I am here, just give the ball to me, don't worry...
-- the only little thing I didn't like about Samper is TOO MANY first touch passes. In some moments those were awesome, but in some moments it would be better to stop the ball, look 1-2 seconds and pass the ball. Some of his through/long balls passes were inaccurate and too fast for our attackers because he played them too soon. Also, in one action, Iniesta was near the touchline with the man on his back. Samper was 3-4 meters near Iniesta. Iniesta had the ball and since he had the player on his back, he passed the ball to Samper, who was free. Samper, instead of turning and passing the ball to the other side of the field, played a first-touch pass back to Iniesta even though Iniesta's defender was still on him.
-- so, Samper was the Motm for me and played awesome, but I would like to see slightly less those first touch passes on too many occasions

-- Sandro, I think that he just doesn't posses the Barca's level of technique and movement
-- he has some raw attacking/shooting potential in him, but I just don't see him as ever developing into Barca's level of a player

-- Munir, much more potential, and he played in the middle, even though most of us expected Sandro in the middle
-- he was better than Sandro, he has more of Barca's DNA, and looks like a some hybrid of Messi/Iniesta/Pedro
-- but still, he also needs to offer more and he needs to improve

-- Gumbau, he is just a man who is called here by a mistake. Inadequate technique, movement, vision for a Barca's level of midfielder
-- Sergi Roberto looks like Maradona compared to him

-- Halilovic, same old Halilovic
-- he certainly isn't a classic midfielder like Xavi or Iniesta
-- he played as a winger, but moved into the middle all the time
-- as other said, players didn't pass to him, because they probably don't believe in him too much or something like that
-- also, what I never liked about him, whenever he receives the ball (3-4 times in this match), he can't play a simple build-up action with all the team
= whenever he gets the ball, it is the END of an action: he will either dribble past 3-4 opponents and score a goal, or he will try to dribble past 3-4 opponents and he will eventually lose the ball. Or he will try some deadly through ball, some deadly one-two etc
-- so, with him, it is never: be calm, be patient, play a normal build-up action and wait until the hole in the defense will open and keep possession. When he takes the ball, something will happen
= we will either score or lose the ball after 3 seconds
-- on one hand, that is good, because he is trying to do something. But then again, a footballing IQ strikes here and a player should learn that he doesn't need to end/try something EVERY FU*KING time he has the ball
-- again, I am watching him for years and this is one of the flaws he is repeating since always, that is his style of play, it seems

Anyway, I would love to see Samper promoted and actually playing a huge part in our team this Season.
A guy is bossing the field.
Also, Munir should probably get his 4th or 5th place in our attack (dependant on whether Pedro will stay or leave)

Last edited:

barcafan161

My impressions:
-- Sergi Roberto was very good, and even though Barcaforum said that he will play as a Dmc, it seems that he is still both Mc and Dmc
-- Iniesta was very poor, but ok, it was hot and everything. His movement was by far the worst on the field. Only Gumbau's movement and pace was somewhere as poor as Iniesta's
-- Samper took the show, he was dominating every aspect, creating our attacks, being cool, being our brain. He was even our leader, like Xavi. Something like: look, I am here, just give the ball to me, don't worry...
-- the only little thing I didn't like about Samper is TOO MANY first touch passes. In some moments those were awesome, but in some moments it would be better to stop the ball, look 1-2 seconds and pass the ball. Some of his through/long balls passes were inaccurate and too fast for our attackers because he played them too soon. Also, in one action, Iniesta was near the touchline with the man on his back. Samper was 3-4 meters near Iniesta. Iniesta had the ball and since he had the player on his back, he passed the ball to Samper, who was free. Samper, instead of turning and passing the ball to the other side of the field, played a first-touch pass back to Iniesta even though Iniesta's defender was still on him.
-- so, Samper was the Motm for me and played awesome, but I would like to see slightly less those first touch passes on too many occasions

-- Sandro, I think that he just doesn't posses the Barca's level of technique and movement
-- he has some raw attacking/shooting potential in him, but I just don't see him as ever developing into Barca's level of a player

-- Munir, much more potential, and he played in the middle, even though most of us expected Sandro in the middle
-- he was better than Sandro, he has more of Barca's DNA, and looks like a some hybrid of Messi/Iniesta/Pedro

-- Gumbau, he is just a man who is called here by a mistake. Inadequate technique, movement, vision for a Barca's level of midfielder

-- as other said, players didn't pass to him, because they probably don't believe in him too much or something like that
-- also, what I never liked about him, whenever he receives the ball (3-4 times in this match), he can't play a simple build-up action with all the team
= whenever he gets the ball, it is the END of an action: he will either dribble past 3-4 opponents and score a goal, or he will try to dribble past 3-4 opponents and he will eventually lose the ball. Or he will try some deadly through ball, some deadly one-two etc
-- so, with him, it is never: be calm, be patient, play a normal build-up action and wait until the hole in the defense will open and keep possession. When he takes the ball, something will happen
-- on one hand, that is good, because he is trying to do something. But then again, a footballing IQ strikes here and a player should learn that he doesn't need to end/try something EVERY FU*KING time he has the ball
-- again, I am watching him for years and this is one of the flaws he is repeating since always, that is his style of play, it seems

Anyway, I would love to see Samper promoted and actually playing a huge part in our team this Season.
Also, Munir should probably get his 4th or 5th place in our attack (dependant on whether Pedro will stay or leave)

Nice thanks for the break down :)

Zangash

Banned
My impressions:

Kind of odd how you seeing Samper with the first team is enough to change your mind when all it took to make you start losing faith in him was Vinyals saying he is taking the relegation fight hard.

And hell must have frozen over if you're suggesting a B team player be promoted :lol:

BBZ8800

Kind of odd how you seeing Samper with the first team is enough to change your mind when all it took to make you start losing faith in him was Vinyals saying he is taking the relegation fight hard.

And hell must have frozen over if you're suggesting a B team player be promoted :lol:

I was always against posters who were saying that we have 100s of awesome players like Halilovic, Adama, Deulofeu, Dongou, Grimaldo, Samper, Munir, Sandro etc.

I always had some faith only in Samper and Munir.
Munir needs a lot of improving, and Samper, well, he stagnated in the last Season, plus I don't like those players with scares and mental issues (Bartra in the past).
This is why I was starting to lose faith in Samper.

But he really bossed the match tonight and showed some awesome attitude/leadership, like: just give the ball to me, I will create something.
And he created something more or less, out of every pass.

It is just a preseason friendly, but against the same opponents, Gumbau was invisible and scared, Sandro was very poor and lost, even Munir wasn't extremely good (even though he was somewhat good), and Halilovic was lost, not connected with team and dumb as usual when he had the ball.

So, yes, it was only a one half, but Samper was really a few levels above everyone else.

(I don't hate young players, lol. I just don't like when fans hype every single player from our school, no matter how average or with a low IQ he is)

Zangash

Banned
I was always against posters who were saying that we have 100s of awesome players like Halilovic, Adama, Deulofeu, Dongou, Grimaldo, Samper, Munir, Sandro etc.

I always had some faith only in Samper and Munir.
Munir needs a lot of improving, and Samper, well, he stagnated in the last Season, plus I don't like those players with scares and mental issues (Bartra in the past).
This is why I was starting to lose faith in Samper.

But he really bossed the match tonight and showed some awesome attitude/leadership, like: just give the ball to me, I will create something.
And he created something more or less, out of every pass.

It is just a preseason friendly, but against the same opponents, Gumbau was invisible and scared, Sandro was very poor and lost, even Munir wasn't extremely good (even though he was somewhat good), and Halilovic was lost, not connected with team and dumb as usual when he had the ball.

So, yes, it was only a one half, but Samper was really a few levels above everyone else.

(I don't hate young players, lol. I just don't like when fans hype every single player from our school, no matter how average or with a low IQ he is)

I actually share much of your same sentiments. I prefer Munir to Sandro and Samper is the only one I have any real hopes for. The hype train behind a lot of these young players is ridiculous. I saw many cules still complaining that Adama didn't get called up for this tour and even more were over the moon at seeing Halilovic debut with Messi's old number. They act like he's so fantastic but his contribution was a giant 0 and he played exactly how he does with the B team that most of them don't watch.

It was a great performance by Samper, indeed. Hopefully he gets more minutes in the coming preseason games as well. He's shown drastic improvement from his time with the B team, which isn't something that can be said for most players coming up.

Darko

Freaking knew we were going to concede that last minute corner :lol:
Don't know why everybody is so impressed with Douglas, he had some nice runs/dribbles and one nice crossfield pass, but he looked awful in possession, sometimes just kicked the ball straight to the opposition, and poor in defence too.
Samper was amazing, he has to get some minutes this year, Munir and Sandro disappointed me a bit, I maybe expected too much, Halilovic was poor as always, Rafinha still has to improve his decision making, shot when he should have passed and later had space to run onto goal but decided to pass, but his dribbles were impressive. Sergi Roberto was mediocre ok, but he obviously has no future in Barca.
Oh, and Gumbau was horrible.

Zangash

Banned
Anyone kind of sad we bought Turan when we have Samper? Every time we see him he's a mix of Xavi and Busi.

I was at first, but seeings how Samper is unlikely to ever play CM at this point, I don't think the addition of Turan really affects him at all. His main priority is getting priority over Roberto and Mascherano as 2nd choice DM, imo.

Alik

Anyone kind of sad we bought Turan when we have Samper? Every time we see him he's a mix of Xavi and Busi.

Given that Turan will not be available for at least 6 months, and this will be Samper's first season with the first team, he should get enough time to prove himself.

If he doesn't, it will be because of Roberto/Masche/Rafinha not Turan.

F

Flavia

Sorry to say that the kit still looks terrible in person.

Had a good time though, will try to upload pics when I can. Not great quality but hey.

It looks really weird on tv too. As if I were watching a different team. Like flamengo. It will take me a while to get used to it.

Samper is a pivot, Arda is not. He won't be losing minutes to Turan.

dakt

My impressions:

What the fuk? Iniesta was good. I don't know what were your expectations, but Iniesta showed his class.
The whole team played great, especially when you consider that it was their first game this season.
In the first half, Busi and Rakitic were amazing. Halilovic wasn't bad either, with few balls that he got, he did good.

Home of Barca Fans