Paulinho

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Your looking into it far too much or just trying to make argument something else as he did well.

All people are happy with is Paulinho and how he scored the winner tonight.

I'm happy with it too and understand that a majority are giving credit where it's rightfully due. But there are a number of scattered posts around of the "was right all along" flavor, as if this proves anything conclusively about the decision made to bring Paulinho or that the very premise for this transfer was "right all along". Scoring a goal simply doesn't prove that. And to be thinking along those lines is to turn content with the mediocre direction that the squad development has gone, suggesting that the midfield reconstruction was even remotely executed in the right way.

JamDav1982

I'm happy with it too and understand that a majority are giving credit where it's rightfully due. But there are a number of scattered posts around of the "was right all along" flavor, as if this proves anything conclusively about the decision made to bring Paulinho or that the very premise for this transfer was "right all along". Scoring a goal simply doesn't prove that. And to be thinking along those lines is to turn content with the mediocre direction that the squad development has gone, suggesting that the midfield reconstruction was even remotely executed in the right way.

The credit is just for this game and how it was good to see something different from a midfielder.

Jury is obviously well and truly out on him and I dont think anyone really thinks the midfield is sorted or that better technical players are not needed.

What excites me about his goal as it is a different option even just off the bench but nothing final judged him on.

aaron101

Doubt any other Barca midfielder would stay on his feet after that bump from Getafe defender.

If that was Suarez, he would easily go down and exaggerate it and will only annoy the referee. That's basically the reason why Suarez don't get much calls in his favor. He exaggerates everything.

Albo

I think it's more about the fact that there was a debate about pace and muscles. Many people claimed that we don't need those things in our mid when it's blatantly obvious that we do. All the negativity Paulinho faced doesn't help it either.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The credit is just for this game and how it was good to see something different from a midfielder.

Jury is obviously well and truly out on him and I dont think anyone really thinks the midfield is sorted or that better technical players are not needed.

What excites me about his goal as it is a different option even just off the bench but nothing final judged him on.

I'm surprised and happy as well. I think he should bench Rakitic for now and, if he can do that reliably and fit into a starting system then his transfer conclusively does have positive value even if it isn't the bottom line solution.

Rakitic has been the common denominator in many of our midfield woes. His very instincts and tendencies to move towards the marginalized areas of the pitch seem to throw a wrench in the entire system, and it's not just Lucho's tactics that were making him perform at that level.

JamDav1982

I'm surprised and happy as well. I think he should bench Rakitic for now and, if he can do that reliably and fit into a starting system then his transfer conclusively does have positive value even if it isn't the bottom line solution.

Rakitic has been the common denominator in many of our midfield woes. His very instincts and tendencies to move towards the marginalized areas of the pitch seem to throw a wrench in the entire system, and it's not just Lucho's tactics that were making him perform at that level.

If he can come on and be a player that can make those late runs it will be a benefit in games like this.

He can be a threat from balls out wide as well which Barca have lacked and Real won so many points from last season.

Price is another argument though.

Rakitic was great v Espanyol but is shit too often, too slow beside other slow midfielders for me. Cant rely on him at all for a performance.

wisconsincule

This guy knows how to put himself in position to create scoring chances. None of our other midfielders consistently do this. Happy for him.

xXKonan

This guy knows how to put himself in position to create scoring chances. None of our other midfielders consistently do this. Happy for him.
Yeah that's pretty much his role in the national team. He helps track back and win possession, recycle possession and make runs into the box to get into position as an option.

I gave him a lot of shit obviously but to be fair to him it's hard to say no to Barcelona when we come calling. his current skill set and energy could be very useful it looks like going by this game. He has more muscle and energy than Rakitic.

Givenchy

i love how hes started here. so much negativity regarding his transfer which im sure hes aware of but he didn't let it get to him. his football journey is a strange one but what a story it would be if he won the CL here :hooray: he gives us something different and this was totally the game we'd lose/draw last season.

Home of Barca Fans